IGNORED

Back 5 tonight

Charlie BCFC

Was always going to be a struggle against an attack as good as Villas and also being without Kalas. However thought the back 5 was superb tonight.

Maenpaa- Made some great saves in particular that one from McGinn that was creeping in to the corner.

Hunt- Coming up against Kodjia, Grealish and Bolasie was never going to be an easy task but stood his ground and put in a great performance.

Webster- His best game in a Bristol City shirt. Very comfortable on the ball and also looked a lot stronger tonight. Almost scored aswell

Kelly- Man of the match for me. Villa were switching their wingers a lot so he was up against Grealish for the most part, Kodjia for a large part and Bolasie for the end. Stood his ground and defended superbly.

1 minute ago, Flint says No said:

Was always going to be a struggle against an attack as good as Villas and also being without Kalas. However thought the back 5 was superb tonight.

Maenpaa- Made some great saves in particular that one from McGinn that was creeping in to the corner.

Hunt- Coming up against Kodjia, Grealish and Bolasie was never going to be an easy task but stood his ground and put in a great performance.

Webster- His best game in a Bristol City shirt. Very comfortable on the ball and also looked a lot stronger tonight. Almost scored aswell

Kelly- Man of the match for me. Villa were switching their wingers a lot so he was up against Grealish for the most part, Kodjia for a large part and Bolasie for the end. Stood his ground and defended superbly.

What about the other one 

5 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

Done well for us overall, did make a couple of good saves but started well shaky. And got lucky with Tammy's "goal". Was too hesitant.

2 hours ago, Flint says No said:

Don’t like Baker? Played very well today. 

Look how new our defence is, how few games they have played together. Wait until they gel fully. Only Baker was here last season, that’s a hell of a change considering he wasnt playing every game then or now. I thought they did really well last night. To change your back 5 and several other first team players is a major thing for any club to do, let’s not lose sight of this.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Look how new our defence is, how few games they have played together. Wait until they gel fully. Only Baker was here last season, that’s a hell of a change considering he wasnt playing every game then or now. I thought they did really well last night. To change your back 5 and several other first team players is a major thing for any club to do, let’s not lose sight of this.

Kelly was here last season.

I wonder if we are seeing in our new defence the benefits of buying from within this division, rather than from overseas as with Magnússon, Pisano and Moore. Pisano even expressed his disbelief at the helter-skelter pace of football here. Webster, Hunt and Kallas were able to "hit the ground running" compared to Eros on that one, at least.

And the departed Flint is doing ok at MBoro,  too.

Defensively we did ok last night.

A few early nerves for the goalie, and clearly not played much with Baker before this match, but an excellent save in the second half from a bending shot that was going in.

Kelly played very well. Kept Grealish & Kodjia quiet. Not completely error free but who isn't.

Webster played well but missed Kalas in terms of feeling secure to come out from the back.

Baker was fairly secure, especially in the air against Tammy, but clearly doesn't like the ball at his feet as much as Kalas, which led to lofted balls forward that were easy for Jedinak to head clear.

Hunt is still better going forward than defending, but that seems to be the trend for modern full backs. Struggled a bit with Grealish, and either O'Dowda or Eliasson had to double up with him, which was what led to their free kick just before half time. Had the measure of Bolasie towards the end, which just goes to prove that the  massive sign-on payment we got for Bolasie was daylight robbery!

All in all, given the players they were up against, the defence was ok, but we do need to sort out defending crosses. The last 2 goals conceded have major similarities, crosses from wide and deep, free header for the attacker, and have cost us 3 points.

45 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Kelly was here last season.

I wonder if we are seeing in our new defence the benefits of buying from within this division, rather than from overseas as with Magnússon, Pisano and Moore. Pisano even expressed his disbelief at the helter-skelter pace of football here. Webster, Hunt and Kallas were able to "hit the ground running" compared to Eros on that one, at least.

And the departed Flint is doing ok at MBoro,  too.

Yes, obviously Kelly was but certainly not a regular. So pretty new in that respect which was the point I was making. But yes he was here I agree. 

But yes I agree with your point about the change in policy to buy Championship ready players.

2 hours ago, RedM said:

New and different.  So far this season, ignoring cup game:

Forest - Hunt / Webster / Baker / Kelly

Bolton - same 

Boro - Hunt / Webster / Kelly / Pisano

QPR - Hunt / Pisano / Webster / Kelly

Swansea - Hunt / Kalas / Webster / Kelly

Blackburn - same

Sheffield Utd - Hunt / Kalas / Webster / Kelly / Dasilva

West Brom - Hunt / Kalas / Webster / Kelly (same as Swansea)

Wigan - same

Villa - Hunt / Webster / Baker / Kelly (same as Forest and Bolton)

That is a lot of changes in personnel from game to fame in a unit that is usually the one you keep consistent. 10 leagues games and only 3 times have we retained the same defence from one game to another.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Forest - Hunt / Webster / Baker / Bryan

Bolton - Hunt / Webster / Baker / Kelly 

Blackburn - same

Wigan - same

Villa - Hunt / Webster / Baker / Kelly (same as Bolton)

That is a lot of changes in personnel from game to fame in a unit that is usually the one you keep consistent. 10 leagues games and only 2 times have we retained the same defence from one game to another.

A few corrections above.  Should’ve checked first!

2 hours ago, RedM said:

Yes, obviously Kelly was but certainly not a regular. So pretty new in that respect which was the point I was making. But yes he was here I agree. 

But yes I agree with your point about the change in policy to buy Championship ready players.

Thought last night (Or Rather didn’t)

‘ Ohhhh Kelly’s playing - hope he goes ok ‘

Appears established already Tbf to the lad

Growing quicker than I hoped he would and coping with the physicality a lot lot better already

Just needs to ‘sharpen up’ at times mentally , awareness wise

Good player (defender)

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Forest - Hunt / Webster / Baker / Kelly

Bolton - same 

Blackburn - same

Wigan - same

Villa - Hunt / Webster / Baker / Kelly (same as Forest and Bolton)

That is a lot of changes in personnel from game to fame in a unit that is usually the one you keep consistent. 10 leagues games and only 3 times have we retained the same defence from one game to another.

Injuries havnt he

ped but agree Dave

My first choice Back Four would be

Kelly-Kalas-Webster-Hunt

if available

With DeSilva (Cant see him getting much game time ) Baker , Wright, And Pisano backing up or having to try and win those respective positions

Only deviate away from those straight changes in emergencies and any change only when necessary dispute to injury or significant loss of form

IMHO 

7 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thought last night (Or Rather didn’t)

‘ Ohhhh Kelly’s playing - hope he goes ok ‘

Appears established already Tbf to the lad

Growing quicker than I hoped he would and coping with the physicality a lot lot better already

Just needs to ‘sharpen up’ at times mentally , awareness wise

Good player (defender)

I agree. Very smooth and plays beyond his years, and experience,  on the whole. Had some very good players to cope with last night and managed very well. He certainly learns quickly, and yes he still has to learn but I don’t see him making the same mistake over and over again. I’m sure some clubs are already watching him.

Archived