IGNORED

Bristol City v Sheffield Wednesday Matchday Thread number 12

cidered abroad

10 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I’m not pretending there aren’t problems.

But when you say “not good enough”, not good enough for what? Survival? Most of us predicted a mid-table season and that’s exactly what we’re getting.

I’m not even defending LJ. His inability to get the team performing with any degree of consistency is his greatest failing. I’d happily see McCarthy (for example) come in and replace him.

Sorry mid table is so last year, we need to see improvement year on year, we will not get anywhere with Paterson, our current centre midfield options and with a so called beast who needs to man the **** up.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

So you agree that we are definitely heading for a relegation battle then, “without a doubt”?

from what I have seen so far, which is typical of what I have come to expect from our current manager, think we are likely to be nearer the relegation places than the play offs, but no don't think we are quite that bad despite what some say, but you have to admit our lack of consistency is consistent and baffling. 

One factor people haven't been mentioning much is the absence of Korey Smith. Has his loss in the midfield asked too much of Pack on his own? The pair were better than the sum of the parts, and options were better when one was able to venture a bit further forward. A small point but possibly in the important area in the middle.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

It’s you who needs to wake up smell the coffee, we are not good enough and it’s down to the manager who has not addressed the obvious problems.

Paterson weakens the team and is not good enough but LJ loves him, Diedhiou is as weak as piss water and spends too much time on his arse, Pack, Smith and Brownhill in any combination are not consistent enough and that is the engine room of the team, when they are not up to it we are easy to play against.

LJ has had 3 years to address an obvious problem and not only has he failed to rectify it but has incredibly failed to even recognise it and that is a worry.

Funnily enough , pre match I had a moan about Paterson being anywhere near the side. Have to admit, I thought he did well. Left a lot of space when he cut in , but luckily Hunt pushed forward well to fill in. I thought when I saw the team sheet the we were going 3-5-2 with Pato and Brownhill either side of Pack. Would have liked to see Walsh, he couldn't have given the ball away any more than the rest. 

We really need to give Walsh a run soon, Brownhill and Pack will be running on empty soon.
Totally agree with your last point, beyond poor planning relying on 3 CMF for an entire season hoping for no injuries.

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Funnily enough , pre match I had a moan about Paterson being anywhere near the side. Have to admit, I thought he did well. Left a lot of space when he cut in , but luckily Hunt pushed forward well to fill in. I thought when I saw the team sheet the we were going 3-5-2 with Pato and Brownhill either side of Pack. Would have liked to see Walsh, he couldn't have given the ball away any more than the rest. 

We really need to give Walsh a run soon, Brownhill and Pack will be running on empty soon.
Totally agree with your last point, beyond poor planning relying on 3 CMF for an entire season hoping for no injuries.

Paterson weakens us defensively, he was no more than ok, which is an improvement over the past 10 months, but just not worth a place especually in a struggling team.

1 hour ago, Erithacus said:

One factor people haven't been mentioning much is the absence of Korey Smith. Has his loss in the midfield asked too much of Pack on his own? The pair were better than the sum of the parts, and options were better when one was able to venture a bit further forward. A small point but possibly in the important area in the middle.

You’re right. When’s Korey back?

1 hour ago, Erithacus said:

Not mentioning because it’s a red herring, all 3 of Smith, Pack and Brownhill at various times have been our go to centre midfield for 3 years and counting and still when our centre midfield falters we lose and go on losing, individually very good players, in any combination together not good enough.

18 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

Can anybody confirm what LJ said about the first goal being 3 yards offside?

From where I was in the Dolman, it just looked rank bad defending by Baker. Badly missed Kalas today. He was a mountain against Sheff Utd.

Bristol Post site .......

Screenshot_2018-10-07-19-30-38.png

6 hours ago, simon uk said:

Cant answer that, we are about 15 million in profit after the summer, we have bought quantity not quality, but lack real star talent at championship level

A point of clarity- the £15m is net spend, but in accounting terms isn't necessarily how these things are measured.

Kalas a good signing, undoubtedly- 2 promotions and a playoff in the last 3 seasons and Weimann has started strongly but has tailed off rather in terms of end product-, regardless tough 2 strong signings- but after that the recruitment rather hit and miss IMO- not the worst, reasonably solid but as you say not outstanding.

Not very good, was it? Still if Kelly scored instead of hitting the post then things might have turned out better.

Baker- poor error their first..

Diedhiou- Not great. He has his moments- goal at WBA, quick impact v Blackburn and today quite early on, certainly first half there was one good moment- fairly sure was him, took down a high ball and pinged a fine cross-field pass. Might flattering to deceive be a good summary for him?

Sheffield Wednesday were nothing special IMO- not saying we should have beat them 4-0 again like last season or anything, and they have a few good players, work to a good plan I guess but nothing 'wow' about them at all. 3 seasons ago when they were under Carvalhal and we beat them 4-1 I was impressed with that performance- and to end the losing run against them as we did under LJ with a hard fought yet deserved 2-2 draw, again that was a good result 2 years ago when they were in and around top 6 for a reason, still under Carvalhal- but this Sheff Wed side though it has some of the same players, is markedly worse than that yet we lost to them- at home!

Not good signs.

3 hours ago, ncnsbcfc said:

the first goal being 3 yards offside?

From my seat in the SS, I thought there was a double-hit between opposing players in a 50-50 and the ball squirmed forwards to Joao. Perhaps the officials saw it as a touch from a defending player and hence didn't give Joao offside - pity, as he looked well off! (Older duffers like me might remember the 'played on' ruling on the offside law in the late 70s?)

Archived