IGNORED

It woz the lino wot dunnit.

Major Isewater

According to LJ it was clear to everyone in the ground that the first goal was well offside.

I wasn't there today. It wasn't mentioned as a possible offside on the radio. Nobody mentioned it in the matchday thread. Was it obvious then?

Everyone makes mistakes. Baker, LJ and linos too. Was the lino clanger as obvious as Baker's, which was indeed obvious to everyone in the ground?

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

According to LJ it was clear to everyone in the ground that the first goal was well offside.

I wasn't there today. It wasn't mentioned as a possible offside on the radio. Nobody mentioned it in the matchday thread. Was it obvious then?

Everyone makes mistakes. Baker, LJ and linos too. Was the lino clanger as obvious as Baker's, which was indeed obvious to everyone in the ground?

I didn't pick up on it, and havent seen the highlights yet as only just got home.

What I can say is that the defending for both goals was shit, Pack was crap, strikers weren't much better either.

Their goalkeeper and at least one of the defenders looked shaky from the start - we didnt press them individually enough.

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

Havnt seen any replay but I didn’t think the scorer was

In any case to label Bakers abonimation as clueless schoolboy defending would be unfair on a schoolboy 

The second was more a collective effort of clueless play and defending

Offside or not, Baker made a complete pig's ear out of what was just a long ball over the top. Either head it back to the goalkeeper or call to the goalkeeper to come for it. But no, a slip, indecision, and suddenly Joao is in on goal with a one on one against Maenpaa. 

As for the second goal, Joao turned Webster and then had a quick neat shot that beat Maenpaa.

And that was the end of the game really, with 2 goals in 2 minutes, as we never looked like scoring 2 in response.

Wednesday looked poor in the first half, but we were worse in the second. All very worrying!

2 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Didn't look it to me TBH.

The ridiculous thing is that Baker was 100% shielding the ball: Jao (or whatever his name is) was at  his back. He could have played safe and put it out for a corner, or tried to tap it to the keeper or even a gentle head. The one thing I'd think any defender would know not to do in that situation is turn towards your opponent and therefore present him with sight of the ball which he can then nick off you.  :facepalm:

49 minutes ago, harrys said:

Should the keeper get any blame due to his lack of communication with Baker? He certainly doesn’t seem to control his area

Exactly what I said when I saw it.....neither of them communicated properly. In a successful defence, keeper and defenders talk to each other and usually have an understanding and trust. That goal yesterday showed none of these. It was woeful, and reminded me of primary school football. The "3 yards offside" aside of course....

Your players your team your tactics YOUR FAULT; the players didn't bring themselves here or pick themselves; linesman/ref/too many games/fine lines/luck......give it a rest and go away....please :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Bri Stool City said:

Your players your team your tactics YOUR FAULT; the players didn't bring themselves here or pick themselves; linesman/ref/too many games/fine lines/luck......give it a rest and go away....please :facepalm:

I also hardly think Johnson picked Baker with the aim of Baker making such a mistake, there's very little he can do about mistakes like that. 

I completely agree that he got the tactics wrong yesterday, but you can't blame him for the first goal

3 hours ago, harrys said:

Should the keeper get any blame due to his lack of communication with Baker? He certainly doesn’t seem to control his area

I don't think so, if in doubt defender has to clear it. 100% down to Baker.

The reason we lost yesterday’s game was because we didn’t take our chances. Baker should of cleared the simple ball over.

That said, their player was offside and was pressuring Baker (even though it was a simple clearance and Baker should play to the whistle) so I would say he was interfering with play before Baker touched the ball.

17 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

From what I saw, Baker headed back to the keeper but not strong enough header, so player not offside, Bakers fault, 

4 hours ago, Super said:

I don't think so, if in doubt defender has to clear it. 100% down to Baker.

Disagree a high percentage but not 100% his fault. He had his back to play and facing his own goal. Mäenpää should have been more decisive and shouted instructions. He was definitely Hardy to Baker's Laurel.

• Admin
11 minutes ago, Big C said:

Disagree a high percentage but not 100% his fault. He had his back to play and facing his own goal. Mäenpää should have been more decisive and shouted instructions. He was definitely Hardy to Baker's Laurel.

The biggest mistake was letting the ball bounce, as soon as he did that he was creating problems for himself

Unless the keeper has called for the ball he has to simply clear the ball away

Amusing the cameraman seemed to fall asleep at the same moment too !

32 minutes ago, phantom said:

The biggest mistake was letting the ball bounce, as soon as he did that he was creating problems for himself

Unless the keeper has called for the ball he has to simply clear the ball away

Amusing the cameraman seemed to fall asleep at the same moment too !

We say this so often, defenders letting the ball bounce leading to uncertainty instead of just clearing the thing. We just don't learn.

1 hour ago, Moth3at3r said:

LJ is so annoying, we had plenty of chances to win that game and to say it was down to the linesman is a joke, focus on sorting out your players, tactics,substitutions and everything else you can effect and take some responsibilty for the defeat.

The linesman comment is frustration, anger, emotion, in the immediate aftermath of defeat. It might also be deflection and a way of maintaining belief in your players and your approach (we don't want Nathan Baker to be 100% aware of his own limitations, and disappointment to supporters; not until Kallas is fully fit, at least. Being acutely aware of how poor you are won't help with your next performance. A bit of kidology, self-delusion is required).

The linesman comment needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. You must see it for what it is. Indeed, it is what it is. And I've just explained what that is is. I hope.

The focus on sorting out your players, tactics, subs etc, he has two weeks to do little else. He'll be doing a lot of that. The worry is, with this squad of players, how much can he sort out? 

6 hours ago, JBFC II said:

I also hardly think Johnson picked Baker with the aim of Baker making such a mistake, there's very little he can do about mistakes like that. 

I completely agree that he got the tactics wrong yesterday, but you can't blame him for the first goal

Thing is, we have shipped out, moved on, cashed in on numerous defenders now, because the defence was so leaky and couldn't play out from the back, thus holding back our plan to pass our way up the pitch and into the Premier League.

We have also changed assistant coach responsible for defence.

If the personnel keep changing but the problem persists, what do we do - persist with changing the personnel?

15 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Thing is, we have shipped out, moved on, cashed in on numerous defenders now, because the defence was so leaky and couldn't play out from the back, thus holding back our plan to pass our way up the pitch and into the Premier League.

We have also changed assistant coach responsible for defence.

If the personnel keep changing but the problem persists, what do we do - persist with changing the personnel?

Just may be we're not as good as LJ thinks we are and a more pragmatic approach is called for ?

Archived