IGNORED

Love Matt Taylor

Meh

36 minutes ago, Super Scotty Murray said:

Nothing against the guy, I think he has done well this season but he doesn't score enough at this level. Only 1 goal in the league this season. I see that he works hard and has a good attitude but we need more than that!

Absolutely. Goals do change games and I personally think if we would have scored one of the early sitters we missed we would’ve went on and scored more and won the game comfortably. 

If people think that playing a five goal a season striker is the way to go then get ready for more of what we witnessed yesterday. 

18 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Seems to me that Taylor is a better thinker than most of his teammates. Frequently today I saw him make a burst into space only whilst the player in possession takes a longer look around for a pass. Often got frustrated when he was left open and the ball didn't come his way. But then, that's been the story most of this season.

Agreed. Apart from Matty, our movement was dire throughout the team.

45 minutes ago, swanker said:

Absolutely. Goals do change games and I personally think if we would have scored one of the early sitters we missed we would’ve went on and scored more and won the game comfortably. 

If people think that playing a five goal a season striker is the way to go then get ready for more of what we witnessed yesterday. 

I doubt Eisa will get more than that as well. I like Taylor but for me he is a good sub to bring on.

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He's more of a support striker than an out and out I reckon.

Play him off the front line more so, rather than up there- let's not forget he probably (don't have the stats to hand) has a similar number of goals to assists for us.

He was very much signed as a striker - 61 goals in 118 lower levels apps for Rovers - albeit an absurd number being conversions of the bumper number of penalties they were consistently awarded.

As a striker he obviously reached his zenith in div.3 unfortunately and he has next to nothing to offer as a goalscorer at this level.

Some of the misses at the end of the season before last were almost unbelievable, so bad that we're not really even considering him as a player who might weigh in with a reasonable number of goals anymore. Though taking the pens. will help to disguise the figures in his favour of course. 

5 goals and 6 assists in 44 apps. according to the OS.

19 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

He was very much signed as a striker - 61 goals in 118 lower levels apps for Rovers - albeit an absurd number being conversions of the bumper number of penalties they were consistently awarded.

As a striker he obviously reached his zenith in div.3 unfortunately and he has next to nothing to offer as a goalscorer at this level.

Some of the misses at the end of the season before last were almost unbelievable, so bad that we're not really even considering him as a player who might weigh in with a reasonable number of goals anymore. Though taking the pens. will help to disguise the figures in his favour of course. 

5 goals and 6 assists in 44 apps. according to the OS.

I know he was signed as a striker- I'd argue his best role for us is as a support striker however.

Thing is, strikers now are not just judged by goals- of course it can also depend on the quality or consistency of the supporting cast- on a good day the energy of Weimann and Taylor can really rattle, and perhaps run ragged an opposing defence- remember Blackburn at home, was an ideal time for Diedhiou- who took his goal well- to come on.

Certainly can't dispute that Taylor's end product isn't enough- in goals or assists- but wonder if some other tactical tweaks might improve him. Don't think how we set up necessarily does him any favour- though he's far from alone in that.

Archived