IGNORED

Manager abuse

Fiale

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/disgraceful-aston-villa-actions-prove-2083092

btw one of my favourite things about the article is that they have a picture of the cabbage  ?

0_Cabbage.jpg

The throwing of cabbages and other vegetables used to be restricted to comedy sketches in Monty Python films.

Now, it seems, football supporters have got in on the act, in the latest show of disrespect to people in the pressure-cooker hot seat of management.

Of course I’m talking about the disgraceful actions of one Aston Villa supporter, who chose to hurl a vegetable at Steve Bruce, less than 24 hours before his exit from Villa Park.

Last month I penned a column about the ever-limited lifespan of managers in the Premier League and EFL, and Bruce has become yet another boss to fail to reach two years in charge before being ousted.

Villa’s results weren’t exactly spectacular, especially given the wealth of the talent on show when they drew 1-1 with Bristol City little over a week ago, but regardless of tactics, team selection or style of play, no one deserves to have things thrown at them.

Bruce, with more promotions from the Championship under his belt than anyone else, has had to deal with plenty of hardship, both on and off the field.

The Midlands club were on the verge of administration in the summer before a takeover, hampering close-season recruitment, while Bruce also suffered heartbreak away from football, losing both parents in the past 12 months.

Maybe it’s worth taking that all into consideration when you’re stood there, cabbage in hand?

Days later the pre-match comments of Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola struck a chord, as he declared that his side’s team bus “shouldn’t need the protection of the police” en route to Anfield for Sunday afternoon’s Premier League blockbuster.

Last season Liverpool fans caused several thousand pounds worth of damage by throwing objects and breaking windows of the Man City bus ahead of a Champions League tie. Why?

I remember Steve Cotterill’s final game in charge of the Robins, when a supporter charged to the front of the Atyeo Stand to launch an expletive-led tirade at the City boss, who just eight months earlier had helped the club secure their first title in 60 years!

It wasn’t that long ago that Lee Johnson revealed he had received death threats on the back of Bristol City’s poor form and opted to move house.

I’d also add that you can’t sit through 90 minutes at Ashton Gate without hearing obscenities in songs about Bristol Rovers boss Darrell Clarke and his family members.

All this over a game of football, how can that be right? In what other industry would the above happen?

Potentially politics, where eggs have been launched and punches thrown on the campaign trail, albeit against (and by) people deciding the future of our country (not that it’s in anyway excusable).

If you received poor service in your local supermarket, you’d probably head to customer services to complain, not chase down the store boss and threaten him or his family. Alternatively, you’d choose to shop elsewhere.

That’s where football differs, of course. If you’re fed up with your team’s play or results, you don’t just head down the road to support another club.

It’s in your blood, it’s your team, but that doesn’t give you carte blanche to do whatever you like.

I’m old enough to remember real terrace humour, before the days of all-seaters. I’m aware it’s a passionate game, where tensions run high. I engage in banter with friends who opt to support the rival team to mine.

But strip it all back and think about it rationally and you have to wonder what goes through some people’s heads at times.

Maybe the old saying from Mr Shankley about football being more important than life and death was wrong after all.

9 minutes ago, Neo said:

Typical Bristol Post - nothing article slating city fans with no mention of the family club and their angelic masses

It was written by Adam Baker, so maybe he is just sticking to things he knows first hand / saw.

6 hours ago, Fiale said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/disgraceful-aston-villa-actions-prove-2083092

btw one of my favourite things about the article is that they have a picture of the cabbage  ?

0_Cabbage.jpg

Maybe the old saying from Mr Shankley about football being more important than life and death was wrong after all.

The late Bill Shankly OBE said something very similar.

Adam. Really. I was around during the era of bananas to black footballers.

I have seen coins, concrete terrace hurled and been hit personally by a shoe a 50p and a whiskey bottle over the years

Ashton Gate is not that hostile toward opposition players and poor managers. 

A cabbage is a bit 21st century if you ask me.

I thought LJ opted ro move house because of death threats from rovers fans over matty Taylors move?

I also seem to remember that Taylor also had things chucked at his windows.

As for obscene chants....well most of them about the Gas are true. ?

The thing i love most about the cabbage is that someone actually thought about throwing something at bruce and then actually opted for a cabbage. 

Don't get the outrage over cabbagegate personally.

Still it seems anything will qualify- remember 20 years ago, a referee had an object thrown at him or more likely a linesman.

Media assumed it was the dark days- in fact fairly sure was a pie and the 'blood' was ketchup!

Don't agree with throwing of objects and it is also bannable/prosecutable but it's hardly coins is it?

A cabbage though is so random! Can only assume the fans believed it'd do a better job.?

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Still it seems anything will qualify- remember 20 years ago, a referee had an object thrown at him or more likely a linesman.

Media assumed it was the dark days- in fact fairly sure was a pie and the 'blood' was ketchup!

Don't agree with throwing of objects and it is also bannable/prosecutable but it's hardly coins is it?

A cabbage though is so random!

A cabbage isn’t so random if you think about it. It was an insult hurled about at one time wasn’t it.

I guess also it’s an object the stewards had to permit into the ground perhaps, they can’t take everyones ‘shopping’ off them, although I’m sure now Stewards all over the country are looking for copycats

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A cabbage though is so random! Can only assume the fans believed it'd do a better job.?

The ref had a linesman thrown at him? Seems a bit excessive.

13 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Apparently "fans" shout insults at managers, players, other teams supporters etc etc and none of this type of thing ever happened in the good old days.

That’s right, racist abuse, chanting about other teams managers/players and violence we’re non existent at football in the good old 70s and 80s.

Obviously you’ll only hear good things about City from the blue few at their cabbage patch on matchdays as well.

12 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

That’s right, racist abuse, chanting about other teams managers/players and violence we’re non existent at football in the good old 70s and 80s.

Obviously you’ll only hear good things about City from the blue few at their cabbage patch on matchdays as well.

And they are always very generous in their welcome for any player who has ever played for us, even if it was only on loan for a fortnight in 2011 or something. 

6 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

And they are always very generous in their welcome for any player who has ever played for us, even if it was only on loan for a fortnight in 2011 or something. 

...and he very often duly obliges by popping up late on to knock in the winner.

Sheet 'ed sheet 'ed    :laugh: Be proud, ex City boys and take it as a compliment.

Archived