IGNORED

Basso

kiwicolin

Basso is my favourite keeper in the short time I've been watching us. As well as being a top keeper he had flair and connected with the fans (a cruyff turn inside the penalty area one time stands out) 

Heaton was also a top keeper but there wasn't the same connection between him and the fans as we had with basso 

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

Rejected a contract, requested a transfer, got his agent to play games and eventually was asked to stay away before his contract was terminated. He could have been a club legend, but threw away the right to qualify for that, in my opinion. 

I give him a pass on that as he also well and truly stuffed his career up as a result.

Just loved that team that got promotion followed by the Play Off final the following year. 

2 hours ago, 29AR said:

Rejected a contract, requested a transfer, got his agent to play games and eventually was asked to stay away before his contract was terminated. He could have been a club legend, but threw away the right to qualify for that, in my opinion. 

Respect that opinion but isn't that all water under the bridge now. He was badly advised and in fairness he was the one who suffered because he career nose dived after that.

I prefer to remember him as the entertainer he was who got the crowd going. Not the best but remembered with fond affection.

1 hour ago, Barry Sheene said:

Respect that opinion but isn't that all water under the bridge now. He was badly advised and in fairness he was the one who suffered because he career nose dived after that.

I prefer to remember him as the entertainer he was who got the crowd going. Not the best but remembered with fond affection.

Sure is water under the bridge - and the voodoo doll is collecting dust - but he did the dirty on us, whether badly advised or not. I can't sympathise for the fall of his career subsequently, it's a bit like sympathising with a love-rat who gets cheated on. 

Fond memories for sure, but because of his actions in the final year he'll never qualify as a club legend in my eyes. 

20 hours ago, kiwicolin said:

10,000 fans on the social media voted

average age around 30 I would hazard a guess, in polls like this the more recent keepers players singers etc invariably finish top due to the age of the people voting, having not seen heard or having any interest in anything that happened before they were born. 

Mind you, Max O'Leary has a pretty good 1st team record, absolute legend in the making and undeniably best Bristol City keeper by far in the last week or so....

Two Championship appearances... 2wins... 2clean sheets … 

I don't care what anyone says, records don't get any better than ... 100% ….  Keep It Up Max, great start, promising future!

:)  

On 24/10/2018 at 20:48, PHILINFRANCE said:

Hey! Go and wash out your mouth.

I watched Mike Gibson play and, luckily, am neither (that) elderly nor sick.

1,2,3 Gibbo!

Well said. As I, maybe, go back a bit earlier, it's a real toss up between Gibbo and Tony Cook.

Comparison between players from different eras is almost impossible.

I will add John Shaw. Not so much for his actual keeping ability, which was very good, but because he stuck with City after the 1982 bankruptcy to help us through the most perilous period in our history.

On 24/10/2018 at 19:38, Red DNA said:

Unfortunately technology has not advanced enough to let dead people vote, even on line.

I can hardly cope with the technology to do what I want to do let alone the really now very elderly or sick who would have seen Gibson play in the flesh - not just cold stats.

Sounds like an idea for Dragons Den ...... coffins with wifi !!

Been watching City for the best part of 30 years and Basso and Heaton are the best 2 I’ve seen by a long way. Basso probably shading it due to his performances during the playoff season. Def up there with our best ever no1, not a position we’ve ever really been blessed with really.

I watched Gibson regularly and before that, Tony Cook. I remember the latter breaking his arm when we lost 4-2 to QPR  at home. Bobby Etheridge took over in goal.

Reference above, I also have a computer and can use it even in my advanced state of decrepitude.

Gibson was a remarkable keeper. He was capable of the spectacular and rarely made mistakes. For a smaller keeper he was a great taker of crosses. One mistake I hold against him is being beaten at his near post by Terry Paine very late in the game at Southampton when we were possibly going to achieve promotion to the First Division. 

Cashley was taken for granted - perhaps a sign of a good keeper. I rated him. 

Basso was an immensely important part of the 4 glorious years under GJ where people started to take Bristol City seriously again. Adriano was central to a special ethos in the team that almost took us to the Premiership. A wonderful time to be a City fan.

Anyone who saw his penalty save against Darius Henderson would be in no doubt that he was an amazing keeper. The bonus for all of us was that he was also an amazing, inspiring person.

On 25/10/2018 at 16:00, 29AR said:

Sure is water under the bridge - and the voodoo doll is collecting dust - but he did the dirty on us, whether badly advised or not. I can't sympathise for the fall of his career subsequently, it's a bit like sympathising with a love-rat who gets cheated on. 

Fond memories for sure, but because of his actions in the final year he'll never qualify as a club legend in my eyes. 

We'll never really know what happened mate, so I think it's unfair to say Adriano did the dirty on us. It's up to the individual to decide who they believe. I don't believe the Club, I believe Basso. As I recall trouble started when another keeper was being lined up and when Adriano found out he objected. After what he gave us I think that he was right to do that.We're talking about a special man, unusual to have someone like him in football. I cannot see how someone that genuine and devote about his faith could be a liar and a hypocrite

On 25/10/2018 at 12:17, 29AR said:

Can’t say I ever noticed his agent in goal.

Archived