IGNORED

Local Rivals

sglosbcfc

Without wishing to trivialise the terrible events at Leicester, I have noticed a couple of news reports mention the support of their biggest rivals Aston Villa! I always thought that Leicester's biggest rivals were Forest, Coventry and Derby in that order. Forest only viewing Leicester as their second biggest rivals after Derby. I know some rivalries can lessen or heighten with league status I.e I would imagine the Leicester-Coventry rivalry has suffered from years of being divisions apart but since when did Villa become a big rival? 

10 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Without wishing to trivialise the terrible events at Leicester, I have noticed a couple of news reports mention the support of their biggest rivals Aston Villa! I always thought that Leicester's biggest rivals were Forest, Coventry and Derby in that order. Forest only viewing Leicester as their second biggest rivals after Derby. I know some rivalries can lessen or heighten with league status I.e I would imagine the Leicester-Coventry rivalry has suffered from years of being divisions apart but since when did Villa become a big rival? 

Never heard of that before, I always thought of it as the three East Midlands clubs with the rivalry, Derby, Forest & Leicester

https://thechriswhitingshow.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/2012-football-rivalry-census-results/

A fan survey (admittedly a few years ago) found it to be Forest, then Derby, then Coventry. Neither Leicester or Villa fans considered each other to be among their top three main rivals. Of course, as acknowledged above, rivalries become a bit irrelevant in the wake of something like this.

7 hours ago, FlintSaidNo said:

https://thechriswhitingshow.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/2012-football-rivalry-census-results/

A fan survey (admittedly a few years ago) found it to be Forest, then Derby, then Coventry. Neither Leicester or Villa fans considered each other to be among their top three main rivals. Of course, as acknowledged above, rivalries become a bit irrelevant in the wake of something like this.

Interesting survey, I'm surprised Plymouth fans didn't list us in their top three rivals. It was a small sample of fans though.

14 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Interesting survey, I'm surprised Plymouth fans didn't list us in their top three rivals. It was a small sample of fans though.

Indeed, I think the main and maybe second rivals are pretty representative of the larger fan base, but once you get to the third one, in some cases the percentage of fans that would consider them a rival is small enough that the sample size can produce some odd results

The concept of 3rd rivals is an interesting one.

I'd agree with Swindon as our 3rd rivals, as I really disliked them during our promotion season in 2015. But once we got promoted and weren't in the same division as them, I stopped paying any attention. I hardly even noticed they got relegated.

2 hours ago, AberRed said:

The concept of 3rd rivals is an interesting one.

I'd agree with Swindon as our 3rd rivals, as I really disliked them during our promotion season in 2015. But once we got promoted and weren't in the same division as them, I stopped paying any attention. I hardly even noticed they got relegated.

As a Welsh based City fan, I'd be interested to know the feelings of Cardiff fans towards us - is it as vitriolic as we feel about them?

I have a friend who is a Leicester season ticket holder and he tells me that hating Coventry or Derby/Forest depends on where you are from. He is from Rugby so detests Coventry as that is closer and growing up it had a lot of Coventry fans. If you were from Leicester itself I suspect you hate Forest or Derby.

38 minutes ago, devoncider said:

As a Welsh based City fan, I'd be interested to know the feelings of Cardiff fans towards us - is it as vitriolic as we feel about them?

There's certainly no love lost. It's not quite as fierce as the Cardiff-Swansea rivalry but it's a close 2nd I'd say.

The strangest thing I've encountered is some Swansea fans that seem to see us as rivals. Only a minority, but took me by surprise when I first heard about it.

On 30/10/2018 at 11:16, FlintSaidNo said:

Some of those stats made me laugh! I love it how Oldham have decided that Man City are now no longer a rival and instead they’ve decided to direct their bile at Rochdale! And the same with the Trotters who now dismiss Man Utd as a rival and hate Wigan!

I reckon proper Chelsea fans would have listed Millwall and West Ham amongst their list of rivals...they must have only interviewed those from the post Roman takeover...

And hilarious that neither Swansea or Cardiff see the sags as any sort of rival!

46 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Some of those stats made me laugh! I love it how Oldham have decided that Man City are now no longer a rival and instead they’ve decided to direct their bile at Rochdale! And the same with the Trotters who now dismiss Man Utd as a rival and hate Wigan!

I reckon proper Chelsea fans would have listed Millwall and West Ham amongst their list of rivals...they must have only interviewed those from the post Roman takeover...

And hilarious that neither Swansea or Cardiff see the sags as any sort of rival!

To be fair there’s an entire generation of our own fans who see Cardiff as more of a rival than Rovers, a concept that the older generation find crazy. 

Neither are right or wrong. It just depends on what you know and how you’re defining rivalry. It means different things to different people.  

Archived