IGNORED

Predicted PNE line-up for the weekend

pnefcok

Declan Rudd - Maxwell (who I was told you enquired about in the summer when you were looking around for keepers) is suspended after a stupid (his fault) red card at Ipswich. Rudd had a shocker at the start of the season, so it will be interesting to see how he does.

Tom Clarke - usually a CB, but currently playing RB as Fisher isn't hitting the heights of last season. Very slow now but still a leader and good in the air.

Paul Huntington - like Clarke, starting to struggle at bit with pace at this level. Personally I'd rather have Jordan Storey in.

Ben Davies - young, mobile CB who is good on the ball but has made a few daft mistakes this season. May go for big money eventually.

Andrew Hughes - had a knock last weekend but the youngster Earl had a bit of a shocker. Hughes (£250k) from Posh replaced Cunningham (sold for £4m) and it has showed a bit. He is an off-the-shelf LB, solid enough usually but quite limited.

Ben Pearson - probably the best holding midfielder in the division (when he isn't banned). Hugely important to us.

Daniel Johnson/Paul Gallagher - both in good form and both good ball-players who dictate from deep next to Pearson (who's good on the ball himself). Gallagher has been good off the bench lately (ended up in goal last week) but think Johnson will start as he's more mobile.

Tom Barkhuizen - struggling for form but covers a lot of ground and offers pace in behind, one of Neil's favourites.

Alan Browne - pressing, harrying no.10 who runs all day. Goal threat. Another one of Neil's favourites.

Callum Robinson - star man this season, just getting better and better. Great technically and big goal threat now for us. Suspect big bids will be in in January.

Lukas Nmecha - on loan from City, only 19, yet to score but now showing promise after a slow start. Very inexperienced but bullied defences vs Villa, Wigan and Brentford. Another club will probably benefit from his experience with us as he will probably be an animal at this level in 12 months time.

Sean Maguire is back but doesn't look fully fit yet. Expect him to be on the bench with the likes of Moult, Fisher, Earl/Storey, one of Gallagher/Johnson, Brandon Barker (another city loanee) and Ledson.

Unfortunately a bad summer off the pitch has left us in the mire a bit. Alex Neil was not backed by the owner. He craved a target man to replace Hugill (sold for £9.5m) and didn't get one, with 19 year old loanee Nmecha the only striker signing. £1.5-2m for Kieffer Moore wasn't sanctioned by Hemmings, neither were the wages to get Cameron Jerome. We also did not sign a right back to compete with Fisher. Woods is a crock and now Fisher has no competition and is not playing well, this has led to Clarke being shoehorned in. Basically everyone around us strengthened and Hemmings tried to stand still, and you only go backwards when that happens.

Harrop (overrated IMO but still a shame) is out for the season with an ACL as is Bodin (looked like he was going to be key for us this season). The goalkeepers both look a mess and funds haven't been made available to find an experienced GK coach to replace Dean Kiely who left almost 12 months ago.

Considering 18-24 months ago we had the likes of Cunningham, Hugill and McGeady in the squad, it's hard to see how the first team is any better now. We still have some talented players but after 2 years of ropey recruitment, frankly now find ourselves a couple of key injuries off a real relegation fight.

Alex Neil has made some mistakes for sure this season but given the circumstances of key players being sold and not replaced correctly, and bad injuries, it's hard to think of anyone who could do much better. I still think he's an excellent manager who will eventually move us up the league again. He was shafted a bit in the summer and sounded a bit fed up at certain points.

We'll probably never fully progress or be ambitious until the ownership changes, but in the meantime we just need a decent run of wins to push us up to mid-table, and hopefully we can make it 5 wins on the bounce at Ashton Gate, but I expect it to be tougher this time.

6 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Declan Rudd - Maxwell (who I was told you enquired about in the summer when you were looking around for keepers) is suspended after a stupid (his fault) red card at Ipswich. Rudd had a shocker at the start of the season, so it will be interesting to see how he does.

Tom Clarke - usually a CB, but currently playing RB as Fisher isn't hitting the heights of last season. Very slow now but still a leader and good in the air.

Paul Huntington - like Clarke, starting to struggle at bit with pace at this level. Personally I'd rather have Jordan Storey in.

Ben Davies - young, mobile CB who is good on the ball but has made a few daft mistakes this season. May go for big money eventually.

Andrew Hughes - had a knock last weekend but the youngster Earl had a bit of a shocker. Hughes (£250k) from Posh replaced Cunningham (sold for £4m) and it has showed a bit. He is an off-the-shelf LB, solid enough usually but quite limited.

Ben Pearson - probably the best holding midfielder in the division (when he isn't banned). Hugely important to us.

Daniel Johnson/Paul Gallagher - both in good form and both good ball-players who dictate from deep next to Pearson (who's good on the ball himself). Gallagher has been good off the bench lately (ended up in goal last week) but think Johnson will start as he's more mobile.

Tom Barkhuizen - struggling for form but covers a lot of ground and offers pace in behind, one of Neil's favourites.

Alan Browne - pressing, harrying no.10 who runs all day. Goal threat. Another one of Neil's favourites.

Callum Robinson - star man this season, just getting better and better. Great technically and big goal threat now for us. Suspect big bids will be in in January.

Lukas Nmecha - on loan from City, only 19, yet to score but now showing promise after a slow start. Very inexperienced but bullied defences vs Villa, Wigan and Brentford. Another club will probably benefit from his experience with us as he will probably be an animal at this level in 12 months time.

Sean Maguire is back but doesn't look fully fit yet. Expect him to be on the bench with the likes of Moult, Fisher, Earl/Storey, one of Gallagher/Johnson, Brandon Barker (another city loanee) and Ledson.

Unfortunately a bad summer off the pitch has left us in the mire a bit. Alex Neil was not backed by the owner. He craved a target man to replace Hugill (sold for £9.5m) and didn't get one, with 19 year old loanee Nmecha the only striker signing. £1.5-2m for Kieffer Moore wasn't sanctioned by Hemmings, neither were the wages to get Cameron Jerome. We also did not sign a right back to compete with Fisher. Woods is a crock and now Fisher has no competition and is not playing well, this has led to Clarke being shoehorned in. Basically everyone around us strengthened and Hemmings tried to stand still, and you only go backwards when that happens.

Harrop (overrated IMO but still a shame) is out for the season with an ACL as is Bodin (looked like he was going to be key for us this season). The goalkeepers both look a mess and funds haven't been made available to find an experienced GK coach to replace Dean Kiely who left almost 12 months ago.

Considering 18-24 months ago we had the likes of Cunningham, Hugill and McGeady in the squad, it's hard to see how the first team is any better now. We still have some talented players but after 2 years of ropey recruitment, frankly now find ourselves a couple of key injuries off a real relegation fight.

Alex Neil has made some mistakes for sure this season but given the circumstances of key players being sold and not replaced correctly, and bad injuries, it's hard to think of anyone who could do much better. I still think he's an excellent manager who will eventually move us up the league again. He was shafted a bit in the summer and sounded a bit fed up at certain points.

We'll probably never fully progress or be ambitious until the ownership changes, but in the meantime we just need a decent run of wins to push us up to mid-table, and hopefully we can make it 5 wins on the bounce at Ashton Gate, but I expect it to be tougher this time.

Just stop beating us please. Getting boring now   :thumbsup:. Good post 

pnefcok, I can't see us setting the world alight; we aren't scoring goals at home with 0 or 1 as the most likely outcome. And we've started conceding too easily away and at home, so if you can get one in front, three points could be yours.

I'm not expecting too much entertainment to get the blood moving on a grey autumn afternoon.

PS. If you are coming by train allow at least an extra hour as there is a seventy mile diversion between Bristol Parkway and Temple Meads via Swindon, Chippenham and Bath.

@pnefcok

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

pnefcok, I can't see us setting the world alight; we aren't scoring goals at home with 0 or 1 as the most likely outcome. And we've started conceding too easily away and at home, so if you can get one in front, three points could be yours.

I'm not expecting too much entertainment to get the blood moving on a grey autumn afternoon.

PS. If you are coming by train allow at least an extra hour as there is a seventy mile diversion between Bristol Parkway and Temple Meads via Swindon, Chippenham and Bath.

@pnefcok

Agree about the goals but the defense has been solid. Conceded 3 in 5 in October. Reading just a bad game it happens. Hell take out WBA and Reading away and we have conceded 11 in 14. See all kind of negative stats like how our QPR, Blackburn and Sheff U wins could/should have been losses so let us have this one positive stat eh? 

8 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Agree about the goals but the defense has been solid. Conceded 3 in 5 in October. Reading just a bad game it happens. Hell take out WBA and Reading away and we have conceded 11 in 14. See all kind of negative stats like how our QPR, Blackburn and Sheff U wins could/should have been losses so let us have this one positive stat eh? 

OK the stats are there but we could easily have lost at home to both Blackburn and Sheff U as we offered both several gilt edged chances in the first half. I know we battered Stoke second half but again we were chasing the game. I really don't have any confidence in us to make it very difficult at home for sides to even get out of their own half.

Hey ho, we'll probably be 4-0 up at half time courtesy of a Paterson hat trick!

2 hours ago, pnefcok said:

Is that in a 4321 formation (Bark and Browne in behind) or 4411 (Bark on the wing).

I don’t think I need to do a ‘What to expect’ thread this week, thanks!!!

BB78A119-80AE-40B8-B10A-07CF697FA081.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Is that in a 4321 formation (Bark and Browne in behind) or 4411 (Bark on the wing).

I don’t think I need to do a ‘What to expect’ thread this week, thanks!!!

BB78A119-80AE-40B8-B10A-07CF697FA081.jpeg

4-2-3-1 as shown in that picture, Barkhuizen and Robinson in the wide areas with Browne as the 10. Probably will be the case anyway.

I think you are likely to win @pnefcok, purely as you seem to find the net more than us. Okay you let in two, but you score two as well. We let in goals but struggle to score on the whole. Our team doesn’t seem to produce goals from all areas that you seem to.

Yes there are a lot of ‘seems’ in there, and no doubt people are going to post that we have x ammount of different goal scorers and mention games where we have scored more than one goal, but watching from this side it doesn’t feel we have many goals in us. We certainly seem ( there’s that word again) that we are trying to concentrate on tightening the defence and the midfield are back helping shield the rookie keeper ( who has done a good job) and then hoping to nick a late goal at the end. Very much in Gary Johnson’s style of a decade ago?

Pearson, Johnson and Gallagher  would i suspect be first team regulars here, and a 'rumour' stated we were interested in Johnson earlier in season, fake news or not who knows.?  

PNE seem to have a sign on us for sure and we need to get our act together again, and pronto.  We are still so inconsistent, blindingly good for periods, equally crap other periods. Great being a football fan a !! 

Archived