IGNORED

£300,000 - a week

DaveInSA

And still a large proportion of them walk around with faces like thunder and a huge chip on their shoulder.

Football, stop this madness now. It isn't even funny anymore.

Our hospitals and schools are a joke, but heey, let's all be happy for Raheem and his well-deserved pay rise

Skysports, and I DO blame these w**** ers

Just go and let lost

48 minutes ago, eastonboy said:

BBC gossip pages are saying that Neymar is on £900k a week.

Perhaps Raheem Sterling should ask for a pay rise.....

Top actors can earn more than that - look what Craig is getting for his last Bond film.

(Admittedly Craig is an even better actor).

2 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

The problem is that people will continue to pay into football. Largely through TV. 

Until people vote with their feet en masse top clubs will continue to find some way to justify paying these obscene wages. 

I would love to see the fans start some kind of protest soon.

Something needs to be done as football without any fans is dead, but the fans continue to get a shafting year on year

Come together, football fans everywhere and start mouthing off big time

WE ARE PISSED OFF

Yes TV money fuels the salaries. However even bcfc are chrging £30+ for a match ticket these days. I do wonder if people will carry on paying at this level.

You can go and watch a good two hour film for £10. THAT seems a reasonable charge. Football prices have got out of control, mainly to cover the wages these days.

41 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I would love to see the fans start some kind of protest soon.

Something needs to be done as football without any fans is dead, but the fans continue to get a shafting year on year

Come together, football fans everywhere and start mouthing off big time

WE ARE PISSED OFF

But largely by choice.

All they have to do is cancel BT/Sky.

I think if we try to identify the problem properly that will help. So is the problem that football is increadably and increasingly successful and as part of that Sterling is getting a fair or unfair cut or everybody else not being paid enough? 

Imagine if Sterling wasn't being paid this much, he is basically paying for around 200 nurses. 

To me inequality is like cancer eating this country at the moment but the answer shouldn't be to penalise success and redistribute money it should be to support success and we need to stop doing things that aren't worth doing (minimum wage jobs) and if they are worth doing then we should be paying people properly for that job so they can pay a decent level of tax to fund our services.

We seem to have missed / be missing out on a massive technical transformation thats happening in the world with service companies like Facebook, Google and Amazon all being US based, where are the UK equivalents that provide jobs paying engineers £100k a year?

I've said for years that players wages at the top end of football are like the Emperors new clothes i.e. everyone else (fans) can see they are ludicrous, and getting ever more so, but the people making the decisions can't.

Agents have "sold" the ides that the money flowing into football by ever expanding TV deals is only because of their clients - the players - and that as a result players deserve most, if not all, of the revenue clubs receive. The threat is that if the player does not get what the agent wants, then the agent will take him to a rival club that will give him his "just" reward. 

The problem is that we now have state financed clubs ( Barca and PSG- Qatar, Man C -Dubai). These owners are looking for somewhere to invest their money and want the international  prestige that comes with success, so would not flinch to pay what is required to acquire and keep the best players and "buy" success" - see the ffp issues that surfaced this week re Man City and PSG for proof of the lengths they will go to benefit their clubs.

I cannot see anyway that a consensus will ever be achieved among owners for any sort of agreement on players salaries, so think we just have got grin and bear it.

I can remember the shock when we saw the first £1m transfer fee, but it's is astounding to think we will soon see the first £1m weekly wage!  :badmood: 

8 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I think if we try to identify the problem properly that will help. So is the problem that football is increadably and increasingly successful and as part of that Sterling is getting a fair or unfair cut or everybody else not being paid enough? 

Imagine if Sterling wasn't being paid this much, he is basically paying for around 200 nurses. 

To me inequality is like cancer eating this country at the moment but the answer shouldn't be to penalise success and redistribute money it should be to support success and we need to stop doing things that aren't worth doing (minimum wage jobs) and if they are worth doing then we should be paying people properly for that job so they can pay a decent level of tax to fund our services.

We seem to have missed / be missing out on a massive technical transformation thats happening in the world with service companies like Facebook, Google and Amazon all being US based, where are the UK equivalents that provide jobs paying engineers £100k a year?

More importantly, why have companies like Facebook, Google and Amazon been "allowed" to avoid paying corporate tax on their Uk earnings!

6 minutes ago, downendcity said:

More importantly, why have companies like Facebook, Google and Amazon been "allowed" to avoid paying corporate tax on their Uk earnings!

They haven't been allowed, the earnings are minimal because they move profits offshore to be more tax efficient.

What would you say is the solution? You can't stop corporations moving money elsewhere that breaks global business and the UK would be net lossers in that battle with businesses like Shell, BP, Unilever, Vodafone ect not able to move money back to the UK, if you tax corporations more they can't invest as much (its not like these companies are hording as much cash as they can - they want to spend it grow and improve) so can't create jobs, the only thing left to tax is VAT which is obviously a direct tax and isn't progressive.

Something is missing from the Google, Amazon, Apple and Facebook tax bashing question and that seems to be that they create high value jobs that pay higher rates of tax so yes their corporation tax seems unfair but I would like to see the total tax paid including the tax paid by employee's - this would probably paint a very different picture than that of a similar sized company in the UK like asda that has a higher % of minimum wage jobs that don't contribute to the country as much.

1 hour ago, swanker said:

This is football for you these days. What tops it off for me is hearing people say they are Man U, Chelsea and Spurs fans because they watch them on sky? 

When i was a kid there was very little football on tv

Even then most kids in school said they supported the likes of Liverpool Man Utd and Spurs

4 minutes ago, Nicki's soulmate said:

Apparently Sanchez from Man U gets 400k a week plus 75k every time he plays, nice bit of wedge for that unexpectedly high electric bill

Probably why he's looking for  move in January.

Must have been a struggle to make ends meet as he's not played too much under Mourinho, so had to tighten his belt to manage  on only £1.6m per month basic..

21 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

When i was a kid there was very little football on tv

Even then most kids in school said they supported the likes of Liverpool Man Utd and Spurs

I’m not talking about kids, im talking about adults who claim to be football supporters. 

3 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

And still a large proportion of them walk around with faces like thunder and a huge chip on their shoulder.

Football, stop this madness now. It isn't even funny anymore.

Our hospitals and schools are a joke, but heey, let's all be happy for Raheem and his well-deserved pay rise

Skysports, and I DO blame these w**** ers

Just go and let lost

What has Raheem Sterling's wage got to do with our schools and hospitals?

I really can't understand why people get so annoyed at footballers earning big money.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

I can remember the shock when we saw the first £1m transfer fee, but it's is astounding to think we will soon see the first £1m weekly wage!  :badmood: 

I thought we were already there...not sure what happened since this report...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/1m-a-week-neymar-demands-hefty-pay-rise-from-psg-bth3mgnw2

33 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

What has Raheem Sterling's wage got to do with our schools and hospitals?

I really can't understand why people get so annoyed at footballers earning big money.

I agree; people mistake what is essentially a price people will pay to see a certain level of talent with a salary for a role.

What "should" Ed Sheeran be paid? The question is meaningless; he gets a share of his revenues based upon his contract with his record label and concert promoter and the revenues are down to how much people will pay to hear him. Not about how hard he practices.

There is no "should" about footballers' wages. A non-league footballer can work twice as hard as a Premier league footballer but be paid a thousand times less because the Premier league club earns a thousand times the revenue of a non league club.

If you have a serious objection to what Premier league footballers earn then stop subscribing to watch Premier league football because that is why they are so high.

Archived