IGNORED

Lee Johnson lovers

Alan Dicks

40 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

I think its the old when the only consistent is the Manager is inconsistent just say they are flexible trick.

Well, sure. LJ isn't Bristol City. The owner wants us to play modern, possession-based football, and LJ wants that too, but LJ needs results, and we're at a level where we can't simply adopt a tactical style reliant on top-quality players and run away with the league.

This, IMO, is why LJ has been in the job for a long time, but still doesn't seem to know his best team. The constant tinkering is a sign of a coach trying to desperately find a Plan B that works when Plan A is "the right way".

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

WTF has that got to do with anything on a football forum. You are bang out of order comparing people having a moan via a keyboard to those brave folks who went through a war whether they wanted to or not.

Knobhead.

All about being up for a fight, you are obviously not, of course it's relevant to compare, so easy to stamp your feet nowadays without putting any effort into it, **** off then and run. 

Spineless. ? 

1 hour ago, EnderMB said:

Well, sure. LJ isn't Bristol City. The owner wants us to play modern, possession-based football, and LJ wants that too, but LJ needs results, and we're at a level where we can't simply adopt a tactical style reliant on top-quality players and run away with the league.

This, IMO, is why LJ has been in the job for a long time, but still doesn't seem to know his best team. The constant tinkering is a sign of a coach trying to desperately find a Plan B that works when Plan A is "the right way".

If Bristol City have a set way of playing which I take it you mean a model of play it does not take years, forty plus players and tens of millions of pounds spent to put principles in place.

Millwall have a clear tactical style. Neil Harris put the fundamentals in place within a season. Neil Warnock took months to put in place playing principles that led to a promotion. Away from that vertical football there are parallels at numerous clubs whose teams quickly embraced and adapted to the clear direction and teaching of new coaches.

It could be viewed that Mr Johnson is putting some principles in place (slowly) the team does build from the back. Webster does step out and create overloads, but looking at the recent past its hardly steadfast principles. City are very prone to going long and last season Frank Fielding's distribution was hardly that of any approach that was truly possession based.

In the second third the team is generally comfortable in possession but its not apparent what the principles are .. City can keep the ball and keep it some more. Its emphasis, its supporting movements to break lines, its organisation of possession, its purpose beyond keep it … The core ideals are not bold and evident

Final third .. A mess of ideas, no defining direction.

There is a transfer strategy.  It would make sense if all  recruitment followed this set way of playing. It cannot as City morph through styles. Money wasted and opportunity to buy players that can improve this supposed set way of playing..

Bristol City do not have a set way of playing, If it does Mr Johnson has been ignoring whatever it is for years. A set way indicates a path, a philosophy, model of play with principles, sub principles which the club train to, play with, stick to and grow with. 

Your posts with respect are not making sense.

10 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

And you couldn't wait to post this could you? Almost as if you were relishing the moment you could after another disappointing defeat, but some of us City diehards will  prefer to take a rational view of things rather than the childish outburst that you were right Na na na na na.

Admit what are the City supporters are supposed to cough up? 

That we are 13th in the second tier?

That we have a team that is full of young talent that still have a lot to learn?

That we still have a loyal and avid supporter of 'our' club at the helm.

That in this league anything can happen and we are not yet doomed as much as you and your types want us to fail just to make a point.

In fact you lot make me sick to the back teeth, get back in your holes and hope for a heavy defeat at Leeds, and leave the support to the City fans who actually care.

If LJ does go it will be the SL's reasoning not the fickle knee jerk reactions of a mob who are quick to surrender, how ironic, thankfully are young men and women that fought in the Wars didn't run away.

PATHETIC LOSERS THE LOT OF YA!?.   

And the last  game you actually attended.............

How many years ? Decades ?

Whats this you say about support ?

Armchair warrior

Truth is if he wants us to progress in the way he wants, in the footballiong style then 4-4-2 is IMO a stupid way to go about it- certainly if we use wingers which we sometimes do- I know the Preston game wasn't but the chop and change mentality is another issue with exacerbates...

With O'Leary and Maenpaa able to pass the ball out a bit better, with Kalas and Webster- both with some comfort on the ball, with Kelly at LB who can some inside and with midfield options such as Pack, Brownhill, Walsh it SHOULD be possible to build a cogent team, in a possession based sense. Not as much as Wolves or Fulham, but components are there- plus if they find form again, Paterson could maybe link with Weimann as he did with Reid- with more orthodox 4-4-2 or square pegs 4-4-2 it is quite a bit harder to create overloads, dominance of the centre or perhaps importantly, triangles.

Maenpaa/O'Leary

Hunt Webster Kalas Kelly

Brownhill Pack Walsh

Paterson Eliasson

Weimann/Taylor

Now I admit a bit of idealism in some of these selection, for example Paterson's form since January has been non-existent, is he a confidence player? Weimann started like a train but has been of late crawling along like a clapped out banger, and probably need to rethink that shape/side but that would give a hell of a lot of fluidity, interchanging and yeah opportunities for triangles in many places. I also admit that certain players may not e.g. at CB be in natural positions but I knocked that side up quickly.

There is a lack of clarity in LJ's selections tbh. 3-5-2 vs Preston is all well and good because a side with a back 3 can outmanoeuvre with good football a 4-3-3 (Atalanta demolished Inter and Betis won at Nou Camp with it in that very scenario on weekend) but why not for the sake of fluency pick Kelly over Baker as one of the 3, and play the back 3 in the correct positions. Then maybe if we are looking to get a mix of football and overloads which can be done in a 3-5-2, think outside the box a little and maybe make it a 3-5-1-1 with- and I know it's tombolaesque- Hegeler, Walsh, Pack as the 3 and Brownhill as the '1' behind Taylor or Weimann- both of whom have the ability to press prodigiously yet also drop off the front, especially Weimann- would have been more coherent IMO. Plus when ball lost, they could press for say 5-10 seconds and if no possession regained, Brownhill can drop inside and Weimann or Taylor off the front and a mix of pressing and condensing the space may ensue.

Tactically, I think that would have made more sense than Saturday- Diedhiou lacks the skillset to play in a ball playing shape.

On 13/11/2018 at 09:50, phantom said:

I'm a bit confused by something and I hope that someone knows more than me on this situation

We recently arranged a fixture at Yeovil to give game time to Eisa and Adelukan, yesterday we had an U23's match against Plymouth Argyle, a chance to give both of these players some game time yet that neither of them played a single minute

I can't understand why we arrange a game to give them game time, yet when there is an ideal fixture to give them more minutes, neither are to be seen!!

It was a premier league cup game against Plymouth, not sure whether rules are different for first team players in the cup rather than regular 23's fixtures. Palace game a couple of weeks before we had 3/4 first team players.

On 13/11/2018 at 22:03, phantom said:

I know it's been mentioned by some but a few things about this trip baffles me

- why go somewhere hot when our own climate is going the other end of the scale? 

- There should have been a target for the team to do well that if they achieved they'd get this nice break? 

- How far would the total amount spent on the trip gone if put towards a loan / new signing from January? 

Fitness benefits could be a reason to go to warmer climates, more intense in hot weather, harder to work aerobically compared to cooler climates in Britain.

15 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And the last  game you actually attended.............

How many years ? Decades ?

Whats this you say about support ?

Armchair warrior

I don't go, I can't afford to, besides it a 90 mile odd round trip, but that doesn't make me less of a supporter  I used to go home and away when I could, seen it all over the years and still have red blood unlike you who boringly knock LJ at every opportunity , well mostly when we lose,  other times you are keeping low waiting to pounce, as you are now, you really are a piece of work, why don't you and your rabble just leave it  out  you really are the most boring self obsessed bloke I have ever had the misfortune to have to have to put in it's place. But aside from this i have said we have a young squad that is learning, and that for me is an exciting place to be, surely you as a football brain or so you would have us all believe is a   real positive?

What would you have the Club do? Fill the squad with old pro's to stave off the threat of relegation, and then what? What about the future, I will tell you what, it means the club will go backwards..that's what. Look at the transfers out...when in all your years have you ever witnessed anything like that? You haven't neither have I . So you have desires to scupper all this so you can say you were right na na na after 3 defeats, that is no way to proceed at all, in fact it is totally the wrong approach... but what do I know  I am no superfan according to you...but that's your only comeback isn't, all the rest is utter naive bollocks from you, and I think you must know, unless you are as really stupid as your posts.

On 15/11/2018 at 10:45, Cowshed said:

If Bristol City have a set way of playing which I take it you mean a model of play it does not take years, forty plus players and tens of millions of pounds spent to put principles in place.

Bristol City do not have a set way of playing, If it does Mr Johnson has been ignoring whatever it is for years. A set way indicates a path, a philosophy, model of play with principles, sub principles which the club train to, play with, stick to and grow with. 

...and recruit towards.

16 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Always the sign of a lost argument when all you can revert to is name calling.

Go on then?

Pathetic...Losers...Childish...Fickle...Spineless...

That's name calling, and they're all yours.

Here's a few more although unlike yours based upon fact - Armchair fan... Out of touch...WUM...

1 hour ago, 1bristolcity said:

I don't go, I can't afford to, besides it a 90 mile odd round trip

OK, will respond in two ways, firstly nobody should think any less of a supporter if they financially can't afford to follow their side

BUT, how can you be one of Johnson's biggest supporters if you haven't seen a game for so long?

You are commenting on something you have no knowledge of!!!

As for the 90 mile round trip, well my ONE WAY journey to the majority of games is more than that so please don't type nonsense like that

Archived