IGNORED

Moments silence

Pezo

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

How dare you insult the intelligence of our crowd! Get off your high horse will you. The instructions were not very clear at all and due to the poor PA even if they were clear then people wouldn't have heard.

I think most thought that the silence was during the last post.

So in effect there was a minutes silence and a minutes applause so best of both worlds.

The silence was through the playing of the last post?  The bit with the bugle?  How is that silence?

Bizarre.

The announcement said...

"Can we please now ask for all true football fans to be upstanding in silence.
We shall be upstanding in silence and our guest from the Royal British Legion will now read the exaltation which will be followed by a rendition of The Last Post.
On the referee's whistle, we ask you to observe a period of silence and reflection, as a mark of respect to the service personnel who have given the ultimate sacrifice for others."

19 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

The announcement said...

We shall be upstanding in silence and our guest from the Royal British Legion will now read the exaltation which will be followed by a rendition of The Last Post.
On the referee's whistle, we ask you to observe a period of silence and reflection, as a mark of respect to the service personnel who have given the ultimate sacrifice for others."

Seems pretty clear to me, you also shouldn’t need instructions.  Last Post, whistle, minutes silence, whistle then cheer. Has always been thus.

8 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Seems pretty clear to me, you also shouldn’t need instructions.  Last Post, whistle, minutes silence, whistle then cheer. Has always been thus.

It seemed pretty clear apart from the fact he didn't mention "a minute's silence"......which he should have done, plus, the officials and players didn't help matters with joining in with the applause as this definitely encouraged many fans to follow suit.

Yes, it wasn't done right, but I still believe respect was shown by everyone inside Ashton Gate yesterday.

59 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

The announcement said...

I think it was just poorly worded.

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

Did you need instructions last year?

I don’t think having a minutes applause for everyone near enough every game is doing any good. It used to be a minute silence for someone massively connected to the club and on rememberence weekend.

whens the last time there was an actual minute silence? 

The rise of social media and the preception of having to grieve for people you have no connection to, eg minutes applause, “celebrities” etc is starting to get too much.

11 hours ago, A Darkwood Red said:

Complete balls up because people can't listen to simple instructions. 

Bloody embarrassing. 

This was a result of the people at the top not trusting fans to behave in a civil manner so they have a minutes applause when we should have had silences in the past. Today's total cock up was a direct result of that. 

Take some doing to make this the clubs fault! Bravo

I observed silence, because I knew what to do and for once the sound system was absolutely clear to hear in the Dolman! Very surprised to see the Preston players clapping and then realised some City were as well.

If the referee was on the ball,  and obviously this is with the benefit of hindsight, he could have given a long blow on his whistle to end the applause and for the silence to commence with, hopefully, everyone realising what was happening.

Lets face it, he was keen to use his whistle whenever he could during the rest of the afternoon!

The main thing was that everyone was showing respect, which was what the occasion reflected.

8 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The clapping had nothing to do with a lack of dignity or respect. It was simply an unfortunate misunderstanding of the sequence of events.

How can there be a misunderstanding, will there be an minute applause at the cenotaph today, no there won’t be because it would be inappropriate and what happen yesterday was inappropriate.

8 hours ago, Up The City! said:

How dare you insult the intelligence of our crowd! Get off your high horse will you. The instructions were not very clear at all and due to the poor PA even if they were clear then people wouldn't have heard.

I think most thought that the silence was during the last post.

So in effect there was a minutes silence and a minutes applause so best of both worlds.

People who need telling that applause is inappropriate for remembrance are ******* stupid and deserving of the insult.

19 minutes ago, bs3 said:

How can there be a misunderstanding, will there be an minute applause at the cenotaph today, no there won’t be because it would be inappropriate and what happen yesterday was inappropriate.

Well evidently there was a misunderstanding, unless you are seriously claiming that those that started the clapping deliberately set out to disturb the minute’s silence? That’s clearly a ridiculous thing to suggest.

4 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

I don’t think having a minutes applause for everyone near enough every game is doing any good. It used to be a minute silence for someone massively connected to the club and on rememberence weekend.

whens the last time there was an actual minute silence? 

The rise of social media and the preception of having to grieve for people you have no connection to, eg minutes applause, “celebrities” etc is starting to get too much.

Sadly I have to agree with this.

I really think that the club should take a position on applause for people who have sadly passed away.

I would guess that a City fan passes away every week, tragic for those close to them and understandable that some of those people may wish to acknowledge that passing with a tribute, but wouldn't it be more fitting to do this at one game for all those fans who have passed away in the previous year?

For a considerably long time a silence has always been held as a mark of respect to people who have died, the applause scenario so far as I am aware is a recent change away from a silence, and I believe was introduced to negate the behaviour of some fans who attempted to disrupt the silence.

Failure to observe the remembrance silence on Saturday, however it came about,  was a sad day for me and many others present in the crowd.

15 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Sadly I have to agree with this.

I really think that the club should take a position on applause for people who have sadly passed away.

I would guess that a City fan passes away every week, tragic for those close to them and understandable that some of those people may wish to acknowledge that passing with a tribute, but wouldn't it be more fitting to do this at one game for all those fans who have passed away in the previous year?

For a considerably long time a silence has always been held as a mark of respect to people who have died, the applause scenario so far as I am aware is a recent change away from a silence, and I believe was introduced to negate the behaviour of some fans who attempted to disrupt the silence.

Failure to observe the remembrance silence on Saturday, however it came about,  was a sad day for me and many others present in the crowd.

Im fairly sure the club already do what your asking (one minutes applause at 1 game a season) - all the clapping on whatever minute is a fan led thing.

Worth noting as well that the entire thing was fully subtitled on the big screen, there should have been no doubt whatsoever as to the expectation of the occasion.

The club couldn't have done a better job, the recognised the fact the PA system is shit and gave the clearest instructions possible by having them displayed.

Also, only about 3 people joined the retort.

6 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I’m sorry, but I thought that reading the poem and having the last post was inappropriate.  It wasn’t Remembrance Sunday or armistice day after all.  A simple minute’s silence would have sufficed, and had more dignity I think, without all the add-ons.

So are you saying that the last post should be reserved for the Sunday or Armistice day at 11:11 only rather than be used to mark rememberance when it done? 

5 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I think the minute silence should begin at the refs whistle then after 60 seconds the last post should be played. Simple and easy to follow .

I don't think that would have saved us yesterday as people seem to think that a minutes applause is the done thing now no matter what is instructed. 

Archived