IGNORED

Why the change ??

Working Late Again

Hi All - despite being a user of this forum for many many years I'm these days a very infrequent poster.

My question to you all is why the change in the style of play we are currently (this season) adopting ?

Last season, our best performances came when we were playing a high-tempo pressing game. I understand at the back end of the season we

ran out of steam and our lack of depth in the squad caught up with us.

This season however we just seem to be sooo cautious in our approach to games. Every time we have the ball we take an age to move the ball

on. This obviously allows the opponent to get themselves set and defend against us easier.

I fully understand that we have lost key players, yet neither Bryan or Flint were pressing players so we have not lost that from our play. Reid worked his

socks off and to be fair to Weimann he presses too. However, my concern is that in both Pack and particularly Brownhill we are no longer doing what

brought us great success last term.

Personally I think the loss of Korey has been crucial in as much that his defensive play allowed the others to press higher up the pitch. Brownhill for me

is a worry. I know he is a bit of a crowd fav and personally can't see why. From where I sit, he runs a lot - yet never seems to demand the ball, he always

seems to nearly be in the right position yet always with an opponent between him and the ball.

Too much tinkering is going on for any continuity to be allowed - Johnson surely by now needs to know his preferred formation and his 1st choice 11. If

not then God help us. 

Round pegs in round holes is what we need. At the moment we seem to be a reactive side as opposed to a pro-active one.

Am very concerned for the remainder of the season.

Why the change? You ask.....

It's simple - we have a talented young Head Coach who can out think and out smart every other manager on the tactics board and can win the game before it's played........ok ok I Know we're not actually winning but that's just semantics ........what you should be asking are:

What are our xG stats

What is our possession stat

What is our ball in play stat

That's what we pay our money to see!

10 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Why the change? You ask.....

It's simple - we have a talented young Head Coach who can out think and out smart every other manager on the tactics board and can win the game before it's played........ok ok I Know we're not actually winning but that's just semantics ........what you should be asking are:

What are our xG stats

What is our possession stat

What is our ball in play stat

That's what we pay our money to see!

You forgot drone footage and grass length.

• Admin
13 minutes ago, Working Late Again said:

My question re Why The Change was not aimed at why we should or shouldn't change the manager - it was more aimed at why we have seemingly

changed the style of play which brought us so much joy and success last season.

The ONLY thing I can think of is that LJ recognised our squad was burnt out 2/3'rds of the way through last season so we wouldn't play this way again

14 minutes ago, Working Late Again said:

My question re Why The Change was not aimed at why we should or shouldn't change the manager - it was more aimed at why we have seemingly

changed the style of play which brought us so much joy and success last season.

We haven't got a style of play we go out with no idea as the performances show. Lee is trying to clever by far and it's not working 

44 minutes ago, Working Late Again said:

Hi All - despite being a user of this forum for many many years I'm these days a very infrequent poster.

My question to you all is why the change in the style of play we are currently (this season) adopting ?

Last season, our best performances came when we were playing a high-tempo pressing game. I understand at the back end of the season we

ran out of steam and our lack of depth in the squad caught up with us.

This season however we just seem to be sooo cautious in our approach to games. Every time we have the ball we take an age to move the ball

on. This obviously allows the opponent to get themselves set and defend against us easier.

I fully understand that we have lost key players, yet neither Bryan or Flint were pressing players so we have not lost that from our play. Reid worked his

socks off and to be fair to Weimann he presses too. However, my concern is that in both Pack and particularly Brownhill we are no longer doing what

brought us great success last term.

Personally I think the loss of Korey has been crucial in as much that his defensive play allowed the others to press higher up the pitch. Brownhill for me

is a worry. I know he is a bit of a crowd fav and personally can't see why. From where I sit, he runs a lot - yet never seems to demand the ball, he always

seems to nearly be in the right position yet always with an opponent between him and the ball.

Too much tinkering is going on for any continuity to be allowed - Johnson surely by now needs to know his preferred formation and his 1st choice 11. If

not then God help us. 

Round pegs in round holes is what we need. At the moment we seem to be a reactive side as opposed to a pro-active one.

Am very concerned for the remainder of the season.

There is no change without the CHANGE. 

Bristol City played their best football last season without Famara Diedhiou.

Then came a change and they played their worst football with Famara Diedhiou.

This season  Bristol City played their best football without Famara Diedhiou.

There is a change and that is Mr Johnson has bought some more wingers for Famara Diedhiou.

That change isn't working either.

Maybe the CHANGE all along is getting back to that energetic football last season without Famara Diedhiou only Bobby and Joe have gone and the bank of Steve is not as ready as it was to make the change which could have been made last season.

Its quite simple really.  A year ago we were flying in the league,  then came the Manchester cup games. Plaudits everywhere. Team bound for the Prem playing Prem like football. LJ,  greatest manager outside the Prem. Premier stadium. The job was done. All was in place. What could go wrong. Then....we just stopped doing what we had been doing and haven't stopped sliding since. Too many at the top of the club thought the job had been done and they took their foot off the gas. Its all looking pretty dismal at the moment on and off the pitch.

17 hours ago, Sixtyseconds said:

There is no change without the CHANGE. 

Bristol City played their best football last season without Famara Diedhiou.

This season  Bristol City played their best football without Famara Diedhiou.

There is a change and that is Mr Johnson has bought some more wingers for Famara Diedhiou.

That change isn't working either.

Maybe the CHANGE all along is getting back to that energetic football last season without Famara Diedhiou only Bobby and Joe have gone and the bank of Steve is not as ready as it was to make the change which could have been made last season.

LJ is convinced Diedhiou is the best in the division. I personally think we have purchased a dud. Maybe just a dud in the way we are trying to use him, or perhaps just a dud full stop.

LJ however cannot be seen to have purchased unwisely yet again and is trying every combination of players possible to make Diedhiou good ( which of course we all want).But by doing this we seem not to be able to get half as much out of the other players. We are setting up a one man team at the moment, and it isn’t working.

Either Lee is having pressure put on him to make Diedhiou work, or putting pressure on himself or perhaps a bit of both. Or is he stubbornly taking this action to the detriment of everyone else. He hasn’t got as many fans onside as he did either and this must be noted by above. The pressure is on, what’s going to blow as something will soon I think.

Archived