IGNORED

Limiting foreign players

Jerseybean

Hooray, I applaud this. 

Post Brexit the FA are seeking to oblige Premiership clubs to ensure at least half of their first team squads are made up of ‘homegrown’ players. The proposal is to reduce the number of overseas players in each 25 man squad to 12. Currently clubs can have up to 17 overseas players in their squads.

29 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Hooray, I applaud this. 

Post Brexit the FA are seeking to oblige Premiership clubs to ensure at least half of their first team squads are made up of ‘homegrown’ players. The proposal is to reduce the number of overseas players in each 25 man squad to 12. Currently clubs can have up to 17 overseas players in their squads.

Is that right? “Clubs can have up to 17 overseas players in their squads”?! Both Chelsea and Man City have more than 17 foreigners in their first team squads this season.....and probably other premier league clubs have more than 17 too...although you said ‘premiership’ so you may be talking about Scotland....

20 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Hooray, I applaud this. 

I think I’m correct in saying that a 16 year old from ( say) Brazil, would be able to qualify as a home grown player after 3? years though? 

20 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Is that right? “Clubs can have up to 17 overseas players in their squads”?! Both Chelsea and Man City have more than 17 foreigners in their first team squads this season.....and probably other premier league clubs have more than 17 too...although you said ‘premiership’ so you may be talking about Scotland....

Yes BS4 I believe it is right. There is good coverage of the proposal in today’s Times, which includes a graphic showing the current number of foreign players by club. Five clubs have 17, four 16, one 15, two 14, one 13, two 12, one 11, one 10, one 7, one 6 and one 5. Man City have 17 and Chelsea 16.

19 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Yes BS4 I believe it is right. There is good coverage of the proposal in today’s Times, which includes a graphic showing the current number of foreign players by club. Five clubs have 17, four 16, one 15, two 14, one 13, two 12, one 11, one 10, one 7, one 6 and one 5. Man City have 17 and Chelsea 16.

Fair enough....but there are more than 17 foreigners in Man City’s first team squad according to their website here:

https://www.mancity.com/news/first team/first team news/2018/august/man city squad numbers 1819

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough....but there are more than 17 foreigners in Man City’s first team squad according to their website here:

https://www.mancity.com/news/first team/first team news/2018/august/man city squad numbers 1819

Think players may become exempt from foreign player restrictions after a period of residency in UK, think its 5 years or so. So the likes of Aguero, Kompany etc may not count as foreign.

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Nobody talks about Scotland, apart from you ?

Man City always find a way around things. If players can develop homegrown status with such ease then there’s not much point in this rule.

Should be 3 or 4 imports imo, then maybe players would at least come from the country of their club; if it was up to me they would have to come from the town/City;

Players from around the world are not Man City/Liverpool/Chelsea players; are not the clubs supposed to be representing the towns/Cities they are based in not the whole planet, just as well let the sponsors be the name of the club. We this season are Dunder FC

Potential Negative impacts will be top clubs stockpiling young British talent, that’ll inflate prices for those players - positively could mean a lot of lower clubs like ourselves demanding massive sell on clauses. 

Hopefully wouldn’t impact the quality of the Premier league but if it does could mean the next tv deal is lower. 

35 minutes ago, BarnzFM said:

Potential Negative impacts will be top clubs stockpiling young British talent, that’ll inflate prices for those players - positively could mean a lot of lower clubs like ourselves demanding massive sell on clauses. 

Hopefully wouldn’t impact the quality of the Premier league but if it does could mean the next tv deal is lower. 

Personally I don’t care if the quality of the premier league is protected, it’s only there to make money for already rich people, nobody else

Don't like the sound of it myself, from an objective footballing point of view. Foreign players increase the quality of the Premier League (and thus English football) massively. Also, the price of English players will rise a lot which is not good news and will represent even worse value for money than already exists.

38 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Ok, cheers for the response....

I don't think it works like than unless a player actually applies for residency/citizenship in the UK - which the players mentions above haven't done, therefore they are 'foreign' as far as the Premier League is concerned.

The actual rule is that the clubs must submit a squad that contains no more than 17 players who do not fulfil the "Home Grown Player" criteria, which leaves 8 spaces for home grown players. An empty space in the squad counts as either, so if you can't register 8 home grown players, you must leave an empty space. Players trained in your home nation for three years or more before the age of 22 count as home grown, so examples from the premier league that are 'foreign' but home grown would be Bellerin, Pogba, Lukaku. In addition, you can register an infinitely long list of Under-21 players who are eligible over and above the squad limit of 25 players.

So, for example, Manchester City's squad:

Ederson, Bravo

Danilo, Delph (Home Grown), Kompany, Laporte, Mangala, Mendy, Otamendi, Zinchenko, Walker (Home Grown), Stones (Home Grown)

De Bruyne, Gundogan, David Silva, Fernandinho, Mahrez, Bernardo Silva, Sane, Sterling (Home Grown)

Aguero

As they only have 4 home grown players, they can only register a squad of 21, with the four empty spaces counting as the remaining four home growns.

Their list of U21 players, which can be of any length, contains the following notable players:

Brahim Diaz, Gabriel Jesus, Phil Foden, Arijanet Muric (third choice keeper).

Anyone else on your list is presumably either U21, or not included in the squad at all.

3 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

I don't think it works like than unless a player actually applies for residency/citizenship in the UK - which the players mentions above haven't done, therefore they are 'foreign' as far as the Premier League is concerned.

The actual rule is that the clubs must submit a squad that contains no more than 17 players who do not fulfil the "Home Grown Player" criteria, which leaves 8 spaces for home grown players. An empty space in the squad counts as either, so if you can't register 8 home grown players, you must leave an empty space. Players trained in your home nation for three years or more before the age of 22 count as home grown, so examples from the premier league that are 'foreign' but home grown would be Bellerin, Pogba, Lukaku. In addition, you can register an infinitely long list of Under-21 players who are eligible over and above the squad limit of 25 players.

Ederson, Bravo

Danilo, Delph (Home Grown), Kompany, Laporte, Mangala, Mendy, Otamendi, Zinchenko, Walker (Home Grown), Stones (Home Grown)

De Bruyne, Gundogan, David Silva, Fernandinho, Mahrez, Bernardo Silva, Sane, Sterling (Home Grown)

Aguero

As they only have 4 home grown players, they can only register a squad of 21, with the four empty spaces counting as the remaining four home growns.

Their list of U21 players, which can be of any length, contains the following notable players:

Anyone else on your list is presumably either U21, or not included in the squad at all.

I was going by the first team squad listing on Man City’s website -it seems to differ a bit from your list above...

22 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I was going by the first team squad listing on Man City’s website -it seems to differ a bit from your list above...

I think it is the same ultimately, it just differs where a player was assigned a squad number (nothing to do with the premier league squad registration) and later left the club either on loan (Patrick Roberts) or permanently (Jason Denayer).

Two exceptions to that being Philippe Sandler and Daniel Grimshaw, who are under 21s and therefore do not need to be registered. Grimshaw is a goalkeeper, and area they're light in so he has been given a squad number in case of a real injury crisis, and Sandler they purchased from PEC Zwolle for around £3m so I think he, again, would likely be called upon in a defensive injury crisis.

All squads, if you're interested, and those who are home grown/U21 etc. can be seen on the Premier League's website HERE.

6 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

Ederson, Bravo

Aguero

Can you know they haven't? Applying for citizenship etc wouldn't stop them playing internationally so may not be public, just need to have lived in the UK for 5 years.

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Can you know they haven't? Applying for citizenship etc wouldn't stop them playing internationally so may not be public, just need to have lived in the UK for 5 years.

Well I would imagine one of their motivations (and Manchester City might well encourage it) would be in order for them to meet the 'Home Grown Player' criteria.

Those players do not meet that criteria, so it is a safe bet they have not.

Archived