IGNORED

Torquay Utd / GJ / our loan players / Jamie Reid

Denbury Red

I’ve just got home from watching Torquay extend their unbeaten League form under Gary - tactics are similar to when GJ was at Ashton Gate - but with Torquay’s pace they break very very quickly. 

Their first goal tonight was a quick breakaway from an intercepted pass and Jamie Reid buried the chance from outside the area with a fine strike into the bottom corner - something I’ve not seen a City player do for quite a few years ...

Janneh, Lemonheigh-Evans and Jake Andrews all had good games without being outstanding- Andrews scored with a crisp first time shot from a right wing cross giving the keeper no chance.

Jamie Reid scored his second - a powerful shot from outside the area - showing how important he is becoming to the team.

At this rate I really can’t see Reid staying at Torquay - and perhaps GJ might have a word with Lee to see if he might help with our goal scoring problems - Jamie Reid is a couple of years older than Ollie Watkins but similar players - quick, tough and able to shoot with both feet. 

Could he be worth a punt???

8 hours ago, pride of the west said:

How was the striker Jennah they have on loan from us? Only young but physically imposing by all accounts. There's hight hopes or him.

Janneh was solid but not outstanding - he had some nice touches, quite quick but still very young. He bottled a few tough tackles.

Of our loanees - Jake Andrews seems to have more about him - he has time on the ball (although sometimes tries to be too clever), and as said before has a great left foot.

The fourth loanee - Opi Edwards didn’t play last night due to injury but he also is one to watch - very quick down the wing and has a good shot on him too ...

Going back to Jamie Reid - yes he is probably developing later than some - but if he carries on like he is who knows how high he can play  - his finishing and ball striking is streets ahead of his namesake Bobby, and he’s not done too bad !

52 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Players develop at different rates. Plenty of examples, can’t be bothered to find them.

True, but do we really need to be dropping into the conference south and signing players in their 20s and seeing if they make an impact? Let’s see if he works his way back to the football league, if he does and goes back to somewhere like Exeter we’ll see how he gets on and if he’s any good then we’ll sign him.

31 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

True, but do we really need to be dropping into the conference south and signing players in their 20s and seeing if they make an impact? Let’s see if he works his way back to the football league, if he does and goes back to somewhere like Exeter we’ll see how he gets on and if he’s any good then we’ll sign him.

You're forgetting how much better our coaching staff make players.

We take them in and turn them into top footballers .

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

You're forgetting how much better our coaching staff make players.

We take them in and turn them into top footballers .

Totally agree with what better coaching staff can do ....  other Torquay fans I speak to have not seem the team play the way they are at the moment for years - if ever.

GJ has clearly better coaching talents than his predecessors (assisted by Shaun Taylor), and I really think Torquay will be right up there come the end of the season. 

What Jamie Reid has got is pure timing in his striking of the ball - with my limited knowledge of how players may or may not develop - this is something that is difficult to coach!  Time will tell ..

Archived