IGNORED

Radio Bristol Interview

NickJ

Posted on another thread. ...........

limited to Leeds to nothing in the first-half,” the City head coach told BCTV.

“We had some decent attacks ourselves too and I would have liked a couple more shots on target because it’s what our good play deserved.

“In the second-half, up to the sending off, I thought we looked excellent, looking like the side that could go and win it. We had a flurry of set pieces, good breaks but that was the turning point.

“I’m disappointed with the sending off. It was naïve from a player who shouldn’t be naive but bring on Wednesday.

“It’s been a long two weeks fretting about the performance against Preston North End but we had our identity back, the steel and our DNA.”

There was also praise for the squad, notably Hakeeb Adelakun who was handed his league debut.

City’s winger was a threat throughout at Elland Road before he his substitution.

The players got back to their best,” Johnson continued. “Jamie Paterson was outstanding in the number 10 position, Hakeeb was asked to do something early into his comeback I thought he did well. The back four with Lloyd Kelly coming back from England Under-21 duty was good and we looked solid up until that point.”

He added: “We will look at it, we’ll give the lads a cuddle and a pat on the back after that one and bring on Wednesday.”

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Did LJ explain what this alleged identity actually is? I certainly can't detect one.

If im honest China , and I listened closely but he’s not clear

Again mentioned busy bees , talks about playing through the thirds , improved footballing ability from the back with Webster ...... but no , not really 

i asked him at one point if stats backed up his belief that we were passing easily through the first two thirds , he didn’t answer directly but said how many chances we’d created but in the next breath talked about our lack of creativity in final third

:dunno:

(Appreciate that a number of people are chatting and topics kept changing)

He seems to talk lots , snippets,phrases , without being clear if I’m honest 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If im honest China , and I listened closely but he’s not clear

Again mentioned busy bees , talks about playing through the thirds , improved footballing ability from the back with Webster ...... but no , not really 

i asked him at one point if stats backed up his belief that we were passing easily through the first two thirds , he didn’t answer directly but said how many chances we’d created but in the next breath talked about our lack of creativity in final third

:dunno:

(Appreciate that a number of people are chatting and topics kept changing)

He seems to talk lots , snippets,phrases , without being clear if I’m honest 

Thanks again Bob. I think lack of clarity sums it up.

If he can't give a clear explanation to fans can he give one to the players I wonder?

53 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I agree. But that ref was very poor in leeds’ favour.

Fair, thought he ignored 4 or 5 obvious fouls on our players. Couple nasty challenges from Leeds players he let go too. Not to blame for result of course but a bad ref nonetheless. 

I watched the second half and didn't see a Leeds player commit a foul let alone an obvious one.

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

Ref was atrocious. LJ well within his rights to vent. 

LJ are you ok?

Seriously though I don’t think the ref atrocious at all. He had a fair game. Got both yellow cards correct for Brownhill. I can’t think of one decision where I thought he had got it so obviously wrong. Were we watching the same game?

Very hard to pass well through the thirds if you set up in a 4-4-2 tbh.

4-3-3, perhaps morphing into a 4-3-2-1 the '2' being wingers yeah that can work, but definitely not as we've setup of late.

Our shape is ill suited to what LJ claims he wants in terms of how we setup- why sign Webster, Kalas, last season moving forward Walsh and to some extent Maenpaa if you play 4-4-2 and negate various possibilities?

3-5-2 on paper could be fluid, but again not how we use it in the main.

Does he want a footballing side or not? Far easier to create overloads and more importantly triangles in a 4-3-3 than a 4-4-2 with wingers.

9 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Steven Gerrard did it after his first Rangers game. Not a good sign but a bit far to say it must mean he’s lost it. 

Trust me SG did that because it is expected by the supporters.

You will find that the manager of the other Ugly Sister both past and present, employs the same tactics at times.

1 hour ago, Taylor10 said:

LJ are you ok?

Seriously though I don’t think the ref atrocious at all. He had a fair game. Got both yellow cards correct for Brownhill. I can’t think of one decision where I thought he had got it so obviously wrong. Were we watching the same game?

Perhaps not. Both Brownhill bookings right. But lots of nasty fouls not punished first half. 3 or 4 clear trips not given. 

Anyone at the match who thought Pato was our worst player has absolutely zero credibility to criticise our manager. 

Lj absolutely right to criticise the ref. Two flying tales withing one minute left two of our players on the deck, both worse than the Brownhill tackle that changed the game. 

My main disappointment is how people on here seem to think its funny to critize the Clubs manager instead of referring to the football 

7 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Anyone at the match who thought Pato was our worst player has absolutely zero credibility to criticise our manager. 

Lj absolutely right to criticise the ref. Two flying tales withing one minute left two of our players on the deck, both worse than the Brownhill tackle that changed the game. 

My main disappointment is how people on here seem to think its funny to critize the Clubs manager instead of referring to the football 

I do wonder how many were at the match, given that virtually all 800 City fans there  were venting their own anger at the refs failure to give those 4or 5 blatant fouls. Not saying they affected the outcome, not arguing with the sending off - although the second yellow was exactly the sort of challenge many, if not most, refs would have given a first yellow for, but not a second. And, agree, Pato had a decent game today. 

Archived