IGNORED

All types of fan, but one goal

The Journalist

There are people who are staunchly in support of Johnson no matter what.

There are people who like him and want him to do well, but not at all costs.

There are people who don’t care who the manager is, they just want the team to do well.

There are people who don’t particularly like Johnson, but want him to do well because he’s our manager.

There are people who’ve never liked him and have always been quick to pounce upon him, usually with jibes about his height and playing ability, but will accept a winning team.

And there are those that have an agenda against him and wouldn’t be disappointed to see us lose a few if meant he got sacked.

The vast majority of fans are somewhere in the middle camps, as you’d expect, but there are undoubtedly people in the extreme camps as well - and on this forum, no less. Let’s not pretend that’s not the case, every club has them, and I never understand why people feel the need to become defensive on the behalf of others. That’s a bit typical of society, really.

I’m inclined to leave the extremists to it and the rest of us can just hope for the best while, generally speaking, expecting the worst. That’s what being a football fan is.

Either way, everyone wants a winning Bristol City. We’re on the same side, let’s remember that.

Cheers.

22 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

There are people who don’t care who the manager is, they just want the team to do well.

There are people who don’t particularly like Johnson, but want him to do well because he’s our manager.

There are people who’ve never liked him and have always been quick to pounce upon him, usually with jibes about his height and playing ability, but will accept a winning team.

And there are those that have an agenda against him and wouldn’t be disappointed to see us lose a few if meant he got sacked.

The vast majority of fans are somewhere in the middle camps, as you’d expect, but there are undoubtedly people in the extreme camps as well - and on this forum, no less. Let’s not pretend that’s not the case, every club has them, and I never understand why people feel the need to become defensive on the behalf of others. That’s a bit typical of society, really.

I’m inclined to leave the extremists to it and the rest of us can just hope for the best while, generally speaking, expecting the worst. That’s what being a football fan is.

Either way, everyone wants a winning Bristol City. We’re on the same side, let’s remember that.

Cheers.

Which camp are you in, and if none of the above, do you have strong feelings about BCFC and the goings on at AG?

You don't have to have any sort of preconceived agenda to simply say what you see and voice it robustly on a forum.

14 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Which camp are you in, and if none of the above, do you have strong feelings about BCFC and the goings on at AG?

You don't have to have any sort of preconceived agenda to simply say what you see and voice it robustly on a forum.

I’m pretty apathetic - which is probably the worst kind of feeling and one that many fans seem to share.

I think that’s towards the club as a whole rather than the team exclusively, though. The team is roughly where I’d expect, and that mean sometimes you’ll play well and win and sometimes you won’t. That’s the problem with mid-table - it’s great in theory but it means you’ll play badly a fair chunk of the time!

What do you think?

I don’t really understand the point of your second paragraph, other than to say yeah, I agree - unless that includes the continual point-scoring, ‘I told you so’ atmosphere that dominates the message boards at the moment.

1 hour ago, The Journalist said:

Cheers.

Hey Journo...The thrust of your comment is accurate....Most only care about a winning team or at least a team looking like they are competitive. The whole LJ in v LJ out is nonsense brought to you by a few key board Coaches (LMFAO)...Master tacticians (Tossers)....Accademics (Drunks)....and general key board warriors.

Just get a team that can play be competitive and not be affraid and everyone will be happy....Particularly the one bloke that actually matters!!!

1 hour ago, The Journalist said:

I’m pretty apathetic - which is probably the worst kind of feeling and one that many fans seem to share.

I think that’s towards the club as a whole rather than the team exclusively, though. The team is roughly where I’d expect, and that mean sometimes you’ll play well and win and sometimes you won’t. That’s the problem with mid-table - it’s great in theory but it means you’ll play badly a fair chunk of the time!

What do you think?

I agree that mid table is satisfactory but it's how you get there that counts, the spectacle on offer as we take our seats at AG every week, the sense of anticipation, the feeling around the stands - the sense of excitement and optimism.

The feeling as you walk out of the ground - was that a good match, is there excited chatter about the game amongst the fans on Ashton Road about exciting incidents during the game or near silence as they trudge home fairly downcast? Was every member of that team team giving 100%, was the match enjoyable and exciting, win or lose? Or was the whole experience bloody frustrating and boring? Am I looking forward to the next game or is the whole thing getting a bit of a drag?

You can get to mid table by consistent displays where you are simply beaten by better teams, and happily accept that, or through these infuriating runs where it is your own inconsistency both in display and apparent desire, as well as baffling managerial decisions. If the 2nd scenario is the case mid table is frustrating and unenjoyable however it might be seen as our natural place.

Fans who attend every week - STH's - may view things differently from exiles and those who can only attend occasionally who, not having to sit through it, might have a more benevolent view of the club as a whole. Mid table is very acceptable from that slightly detached pov., but the standard of football we've had to endure this season ( and parts of previous seasons) and the lack of excitement and optimism it engenders is not.

As you say, creeping apathy is the worst feeling and the outpourings on here show just how much many long term fans hate feeling that way.

We really want to enjoy supporting our club, and as things stand,  mid table or not, many of us are not.

Archived