IGNORED

Shawn McCoulsky,

The Original OTIB

Harvey Smith out on loan but played in this game too - perhaps there's a clause allowing them to play for our reserves if not getting first team action? McCoulsky not getting a look in at Southend, started a couple of Checkatrade games but appears to be about 4th choice when it comes to league action and usually just an unused sub. Smith had been starting for Hereford earlier in season - maybe got injured or dropped since then?

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Harvey Smith out on loan but played in this game too - perhaps there's a clause allowing them to play for our reserves if not getting first team action? McCoulsky not getting a look in at Southend, started a couple of Checkatrade games but appears to be about 4th choice when it comes to league action. Smith had been starting for Hereford earlier in season - maybe got injured or dropped since then?

Maybe a recall if no starts in a certain amount of games?

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

He doesn't seem to have improved much over the last couple of seasons. Understandable when he had that heart problem at the end of last season. He might be a late developer if he ever makes it with us.

I know a good number of Newport season ticket holders who would disagree with that.  Developed significantly over the season there last year.

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Harvey Smith out on loan but played in this game too - perhaps there's a clause allowing them to play for our reserves if not getting first team action? McCoulsky not getting a look in at Southend, started a couple of Checkatrade games but appears to be about 4th choice when it comes to league action and usually just an unused sub. Smith had been starting for Hereford earlier in season - maybe got injured or dropped since then?

Apparently some think it is better for their development to go on loan at a league 1/2 club with little playing time than it is to go and play quite often at a poxy club like Torquay where we care more about Gary Johnson than we do our players development...

11 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Apparently some think it is better for their development to go on loan at a league 1/2 club with little playing time than it is to go and play quite often at a poxy club like Torquay where we care more about Gary Johnson than we do our players development...

I see what you did there.

When a young player has had some success at a league 2 club the logical next step is League 1, but it doesn't look like it is working.Nobody could have known that, but a Championship club having 21 year olds playing National League South stinks and I do question why that is the case just like I wondered why Tay;or Moore who cost us a few bob played League 1 one loan then went to Cheltenham (apparently the only club who would play him centre back)

If you want them to play all the time send them to a Toolstation club

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

I see what you did there.

When a young player has had some success at a league 2 club the logical next step is League 1, but it doesn't look like it is working.Nobody could have known that, but a Championship club having 21 year olds playing National League South stinks and I do question why that is the case just like I wondered why Tay;or Moore who cost us a few bob played League 1 one loan then went to Cheltenham (apparently the only club who would play him centre back)

If you want them to play all the time send them to a Toolstation club

Started at CB then played most of the season at RB!!!

What we don’t see is the training he is getting. We have good coaches in our academy but surely even training with proper coaches and practicing against L1 players does more for him than loaning him to conference? I have said it many times before, just because a loan isn’t successful in terms of minutes or stats does not mean it is not a good loan. Not only does it help in terms of what I have already mentioned but in this case also shows SM how much harder he needs to work and what he needs to work on. He was non league 3 years ago. We talk about Eisa who was not even in L2 until 2 years older than SM. Idk if he will make it at city but just because it is not happening for him at Southend does not mean he can’t still have a stellar career

In my opinion, the odd loan is good for a players development, but this would've been his fifth loan while with us. I know he's 21, but it's not good for a players development to spend all of this time bouncing around different clubs and coaches. I mean, you only need to look at Chelsea and the number of players they farm out on loan alongside the players that actually end up any good to see that loans should be used sparingly in a young players development.

If it's not working out at Southend, I think he needs to come back to the U23's, and to be given a chance in the first team to show that he can make it at this level. If he can't, we should sell on with a buy-back clause.

On 10/12/2018 at 19:12, Scare_Man said:

I know a good number of Newport season ticket holders who would disagree with that.  Developed significantly over the season there last year.

Know a Newport player who would disagree as well, though it’s not great he isn’t getting much of a look in at Southend, but there’s plenty of other teams who will have him on loan. 

Archived