IGNORED

"Still life in this perhaps for Bristol City...." (Merged)

iamalagerdrinker

Not that it amounts to much in the grand scheme but my two favourite memories:

Eventually getting out of the ground and popped into the Lounge to see a mate I'd gone to City with since the nineties - sits in another part of the ground with his kids - there were a lot of us, all know each other, but the two of us instinctively made a bee line for one another and hugged. Simple message to a few of the hangers on - we earned that. Truly life affirming.

The 2 days after - on getting into London in the morning wearing a City training top, the number of people who shook my hand was unreal. On the tube, the streets back home. I was probably drunk but I honestly felt like I'd won the lottery. Embarrassed to say I went on a two day bender and on the Friday night went to one of my locals (one of Millwall's top pubs) wearing a bright red City hoodie. Thought I was invincible. As it happens it kicked off between a local gang and some of the old boys in there, ended with a full scale running battle and riot van outside and all the windows getting put in. And I'm there sat at the bar at the bottom of the Old Kent Road, with BRISTOL CITY across my front, chatting to the barmaid as all hell breaks loose. Easily the most surreal moment of my life and one that is even less likely to be repeated than the result. Everyone got a pass that week ?

Looking back at it a year on, I actually remember a decent amount of optimism among City fans I knew- friends and family thought we had a reasonable chance in the run up. 

Still couldn't believe it when that strike by Smith, with the prior assist by Taylor though...the Bryan goal and assist by Pack, sublime- going to watch back extended highlights of this game tomorrow.

Really up until an hour-70 mins in v Wolves (well the moment of the Fielding red card) felt we were somewhat invincible- on the crest of a wave, one loss in all competitions in a shade over 2 months, first team outside PL knocking out 4 PL sides in a row I think.

Deep down didn't expect a win over Man United and absolutely not in the last minute in such style but always felt in the runup 'We may have a chance here'.

Went out on the drink with City mates who were still in the area after, then into town and didn't get home until at least 4- toasted the win in the right style!

well I'm getting goose bumps reading this. as a foreign exile, had hoped to watch down a pub but ended up having to work that night from home so watched on TV with my dog. walked her in the park after in a dazed state of shock with a tear in my eye. love reading these memories. I'm still a bit staggered thinking about that night. 

Remember my little boy being asleep in my lap as Taylor put Korey through. Seconds later my little lad was up in the air looking shell shocked! He soon realised what had happened, followed by people we didn’t know hugging us. Then on the way out having pictures taken by the Atyeo statue & people we didn’t know getting in on it. Elliott has watched that game so many times since & still loves it. Best bit for me was sharing that moment of history with my little boy. COYR

On 20/12/2018 at 13:30, DaveInSA said:

Two things.

1) This ManU team is the worst in years.

2) Isn't it sad that our "memorable events" are those one off successes we've had over the years. 

Don't get me wrong - I love it when we beat the big guns. Just wish we were in a position to do it more often.

May well of been the worst team they’ve had but that night they had close to £400m worth on that pitch, and arguably the biggest club in the world, I do get what your saying about being in a position to do it more often but we have to earn that right and we are a long way off that, but that night was something else nothing or no one can put a downer on it.

On 20/12/2018 at 15:41, Davefevs said:

I always assumed Dave in SA was South Aftica, but on reflection it might be St Annes!

I was in South Africa ?

I've just moved back to "mud island".

Living in Somerset now. And I'm toying with the idea of becoming a supporter again, rather than a fan.

I was a bit grumpy the other day when I posted that!

10 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

May well of been the worst team they’ve had but that night they had close to £400m worth on that pitch, and arguably the biggest club in the world, I do get what your saying about being in a position to do it more often but we have to earn that right and we are a long way off that, but that night was something else nothing or no one can put a downer on it.

I always find stats like this hard to swallow.

£400m.

What you could achieve with £400m. In South Africa that would build 500 000 houses. It makes me feel ill.

Archived