IGNORED

Jack Marriott

Redmycolour

What a strange thread

2 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Hmmm I think you contradicted yourself a little there

Absolutely, he would have "come South" if we or others had met his wage demands I am sure. Other footballers do it all the time.

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I don’t know if this is true or not but we should have spent a couple of hundred grand on him when he was at Luton (At the time we signed Hinds and Bakinson from them )

I wonder what his "demands" were then. So many other variables in these deals.

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I wonder what his "demands" were then. So many other variables in these deals.

Not too taxing I’d imagine

He wasn’t even a regular at Luton

Somewhat irrelevant now and despite how I rated him , I don’t know the figures , but I wouldn’t have been throwing silly money (In our terms) at him in the Summer

39 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

Johnson claims he tried to sign Marriott, but failed, financial reasons, bullsxxt, Marriott stated he didn't want to come down South with his family, and other clubs wouldn't pay his wage demands, speak the truth for once Johnson and stop hiding behind Landsdown,

Where have you read this? Johnson's said this week we were never in for him and Peterborough were the ones linking us to him in the press to get Derby to bid higher.. https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-derby-county-transfer-2346256

At the time it sounded to me like Marriott had made his mind up that not only did he want a move, but that he wanted to go to Frank Lampard's Derby County. This is reinforced by the fact that the fee Derby paid  was quite a bit less than being banded about when Posh were trying to get us interested. Suggests that they knew Derby was his choice, so tried to get a bidding war in place to drive up the price.

I would guess that when Posh's, and the player's, demands were beyond what we regarded as reasonable, Posh were left with no option but to accept Derby's "derisory" offer, as otherwise  they'd have no sale and a want away player still on their books.

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Where have you read this? Johnson's said this week we were never in for him and Peterborough were the ones linking us to him in the press to get Derby to bid higher.. https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-derby-county-transfer-2346256

Where have I read this? Look on BP interview with Johnson, speaking about fail transfers, 

17 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

Where have I read this? Look on BP interview with Johnson, speaking about fail transfers, 

Yeah I've read the article and just re-read it to get this quote, no where does it say we were in for him

"No, we were never in the race [for Jack Marriott in the summer]," explained Johnson.

"It wasn’t because Jack’s not a good player because he clearly is but the level of finance available and I think Barry Fry - god love him - was using as a bit of a stalking horse potentially for other clubs.

1 hour ago, Redmycolour said:

Johnson claims he tried to sign Marriott, but failed, financial reasons, bullsxxt, Marriott stated he didn't want to come down South with his family, and other clubs wouldn't pay his wage demands, speak the truth for once Johnson and stop hiding behind Landsdown,

Baffling post imo.

So if we offered him 50k per week he wouldn't have moved? The bottom line is it IS all down to finance for most transfers that do, or do not happen. 

13 minutes ago, hodge said:

Yeah I've read the article and just re-read it to get this quote, no where does it say we were in for him

"No, we were never in the race [for Jack Marriott in the summer]," explained Johnson.

"It wasn’t because Jack’s not a good player because he clearly is but the level of finance available and I think Barry Fry - god love him - was using as a bit of a stalking horse potentially for other clubs.

Then why? Did Bristol City state at the time, they made a bid of £3m but it was refused, by the chairman, then Marriott stated he didn't want his family moving down South, when he moved to Derby 

3 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

Then why? Did Bristol City state at the time, they made a bid of £3m but it was refused, by the chairman, then Marriott stated he didn't want his family moving down South, when he moved to Derby 

I don't remember us putting out anything saying we'd bid. But perhaps we made an enquiry/initial bid, realised we were well out of the range to sign him because of what Derby could offer and ceased our interest. Fry then using our initial interest as a tool try and and jacking up the price for Derby. Going by the quote I put above we'd never have been in the race to sign him because of being unwilling to compete with what Derby could offer, we wouldn't have spoken to Marriott so wouldn't have got to any part of him not wanting to move his family to Bristol being a reason for turning us down. Anyway his reason for joining Derby was largely down to Frank Lampard (JM is a big Chelsea fan and used to watch FL on tv growing up) once they showed interest that's where he wanted to go.

2 hours ago, Redmycolour said:

And the winner of worst post of 2018 is..............

Archived