IGNORED

Luke Ayling

formerly known as ivan

56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s because a good few of us rated Ayling during the time he was here.  That’s why he gets mentioned.

17 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Many of us said very clearly at the time we were sorry to see Ayling go and viewed his departure as a mistake.

Ayling was known to be a very popular player within a squad with the best team spirit since the 70's.

don't remember any question marks about his work attitude, he always appeared fit and gave 100%. Nothing at all to suggest he was anything but happy at AG, or had in any way sought a move.

If the Cheltenham incident was anything to do with his departure it was pathetic cutting off their nose to spite their face behaviour from the club, especially after they had stood by far worse transgressors previously.

I did say ‘majority’ and of course some were disappointed at the time - fair play to you but I distinctly remember the negative comments before his departure. 

To be fair though Nogbad - as with all these things, what we see publicly and what happens privately often doesn’t tally up, so for all we knew he may have wanted the move. Just as when Freeman refused to sign a new contract many wouldn’t have predicted that from his comments or performances.

16 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Many of us said very clearly at the time we were sorry to see Ayling go and viewed his departure as a mistake.

Ayling was known to be a very popular player within a squad with the best team spirit since the 70's.

I don't remember any question marks about his work attitude, he always appeared fit and gave 100%. Nothing at all to suggest he was anything but happy at AG, or had in any way sought a move.

If the Cheltenham incident was anything to do with his departure it was pathetic cutting off their nose to spite their face behaviour from the club, especially after they had stood by far worse transgressors previously.

At the time I thought it was decent money for him, as I've said , a lot of that could be because of how he was used/instructed. I remember the Leeds home game , 2-2 draw, Leeds got in behind the WB 3 times in about the first 5-10 minutes. With no cover from the RCB as he was bombing forward. I know this was from instruction but he embraced it whole heartedly, I think Kodjia's first City goal came from a run and pass from Ayling. No doubt about ability or workmate, attitude or skill , but we were so open is was farcical . 
I really think SL being old school was embarrassed by Cheltenham , and when a  good offer came in he wanted to take it. I'd love to know Cotterills take on it though . Ayling , I thought I read at the time , was very keen on the move as soon as Leeds came in. Might be mistaken though.

3 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I did say ‘majority’ and of course some were disappointed at the time - fair play to you but I distinctly remember the negative comments before his departure. 

To be fair though Nogbad - as with all these things, what we see publicly and what happens privately often doesn’t tally up, so for all we knew he may have wanted the move. Just as when Freeman refused to sign a new contract many wouldn’t have predicted that from his comments or performances.

True, but you seem to theorise above from a point of view that puts Ayling in a bad light.

I've given my view before on the Cheltenham incident - piffling, and it would have blown over quickly.

I'm pretty sure Ayling wanted to stay at AG - he said on many occasions how happy and settled he was here - whether SL and LJ wanted him to is more a matter for conjecture.

It's not unusual that a new manager might have had an interest in getting his own players in and moving on some of the main characters in the dressing room he inherits.

LJ had told Ayling his game time would be limited so he either didn't rate him - unlikely surely - or was telling him fairly directly his ebullient character didn't fit.

Either way the basic message Ayling would have taken was LJ didn't want him, and he had no future here, so he had little choice but to pursue options elsewhere should they arise.

6 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

At the time I thought it was decent money for him, as I've said , a lot of that could be because of how he was used/instructed. I remember the Leeds home game , 2-2 draw, Leeds got in behind the WB 3 times in about the first 5-10 minutes. With no cover from the RCB as he was bombing forward. I know this was from instruction but he embraced it whole heartedly, I think Kodjia's first City goal came from a run and pass from Ayling. No doubt about ability or workmate, attitude or skill , but we were so open is was farcical . 
I really think SL being old school was embarrassed by Cheltenham , and when a  good offer came in he wanted to take it. I'd love to know Cotterills take on it though . Ayling , I thought I read at the time , was very keen on the move as soon as Leeds came in. Might be mistaken though.

What about Orr, Brooker etc?

Just a bit more 'embarrassing' wouldn't you say?

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

He certainly fits Leeds total front foot approach perfectly

Think he would have been great in our pre Xmas 11 last season though

I love the fact he influences games - always looking to be on front foot , creative and imaginative

You used the phrase ‘natural footballer’ which is spot on

IMO you try and keep them , and utilise them when they come along 

True we are full of runners now and not so many footballers. Makes for a less entertaining spectacle

This has had me nosing back at this

Found this and these comments by Pembo which I’d not seen before - 

Bristol City first team coach John Pemberton has revealed that the club’s change in formation prompted the Robins to sell Luke Ayling to Leeds United in the summer.

The 25-year-old, whose side will travel to Ashton Gate for a Championship fixture on Tuesday night, will return to his former hunting ground for the first time since he joined the Whites on a three-year deal in August.

Ayling was a vital player for Bristol City when they deployed him as one of three centre-backs, but his role in the team was reduced once manager Lee Johnson decided to alter the Robins’ formation.

However, Pemberton insisted that Ayling, who plays as a right-back for the Yorkshire giants, is a good player, which can be seen by him moving to a club of Leeds’ stature. 

“Luke was a fantastic fit for us when we played three centre-halves

It was probably best that he moved when we decided to change formation because the role changed.

“All of a sudden we wanted different things for different positions and Luke wasn’t quite a fit.

"But you can tell he’s a good player because he’s gone to a big club.”

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2016/09/27/bristol-city-coach-reveals-reason-luke-ayling-sold-to-leeds-united/307262/

20 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

True, but you seem to theorise above from a point of view that puts Ayling in a bad light.

I've given my view before on the Cheltenham incident - piffling, and it would have blown over quickly.

I'm pretty sure Ayling wanted to stay at AG - he said on many occasions how happy and settled he was here - whether SL and LJ wanted him to is more a matter for conjecture.

It's not unusual that a new manager might have had an interest in getting his own players in and moving on some of the main characters in the dressing room he inherits.

LJ had told Ayling his game time would be limited so he either didn't rate him - unlikely surely - or was telling him fairly directly his ebullient character didn't fit.

Either way the basic message Ayling would have taken was LJ didn't want him, and he had no future here, so he had little choice but to pursue options elsewhere should they arise.

Are we talking about the same guy who was pictured involved in an incident of pouring piss over people from a balcony - unless of course that is acceptable behaviour? I don’t need to put him in a bad light, he did it to himself.

My comments about attitude were general - yes speculative, but perhaps a player who was well known at the club for being a big drinker, gets involved in this kind of incident and it serves as a bit of a wake up call - and to his credit he grows up a bit and changes his approach, helping him improve as a player.

The rest of your post I agree with, as a fair summary, from the information made public at the time and afterwards.

I also stand by the statement that when Ayling is injured or getting a hard time from the Leeds fans, not many are arguing his corner, but as soon as they do well and he gets a few games, it is easy now for some to get the stick out (as some do with 90% of their posts, at the first opportunity) to say, look, BCFC messed it up, again. 

10 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Are we talking about the same guy who was pictured involved in an incident of pouring piss over people from a balcony - unless of course that is acceptable behaviour? I don’t need to put him in a bad light, he did it to himself.

My comments about attitude were general - yes speculative, but perhaps a player who was well known at the club for being a big drinker, gets involved in this kind of incident and it serves as a bit of a wake up call - and to his credit he grows up a bit and changes his approach, helping him improve as a player.

The rest of your post I agree with, as a fair summary, from the information made public at the time and afterwards.

I also stand by the statement that when Ayling is injured or getting a hard time from the Leeds fans, not many are arguing his corner, but as soon as they do well and he gets a few games, it is easy now for some to get the stick out (as some do with 90% of their posts, at the first opportunity) to say, look, BCFC messed it up, again. 

If you’re going to throw stuff around to support your stance,,  at least bother to get the facts right rather than make them up

Not a good incident ,

but complete fabrication by you ‘ involved in an incident of pouring piss over people from a balcony ‘ 

Not a great bit of behaviour all round , but firstly

no one had ‘piss poured on them’

Aylings involvement extended to ...... being present....and not stopping it and possibly grinning....

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And Freeman

I was a bigger fan of LA but saw quality in both , said so at the time , when they left , and since 

I’m not sure what JET, GON or Wes Burns has to do with anything - Wouldn’t have kept any of them 

It’s a shame we didn’t have a fit O’Neil....he was the Wade replacement....unfortunately injuries hampered what was a good signing on paper.

I watched at Villa away (Feb 2017 lost 0-2) and he ran the midfield that day for 60 minutes. Unfortunately as Wilbs tired, we got strung out and got pinned back....and Villa won comfortably.  Wilbs thundered a header against the bar that night that would’ve put us 1-0 up.

In the short amount of minutes he played here, I saw more tackles won 40:60 through desire than any other player.  I think he was a winner.  We didn’t get the best of him.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s a shame we didn’t have a fit O’Neil....he was the Wade replacement....unfortunately injuries hampered what was a good signing on paper.

I watched at Villa away (Feb 2017 lost 0-2) and he ran the midfield that day for 60 minutes. Unfortunately as Wilbs tired, we got strung out and got pinned back....and Villa won comfortably.  Wilbs thundered a header against the bar that night that would’ve put us 1-0 up.

In the short amount of minutes he played here, I saw more tackles won 40:60 through desire than any other player.  I think he was a winner.  We didn’t get the best of him.

Agree on what he could have brought Dave, if fit .....definitely

My point was , it was the right call to let him go , and I don’t think many would have argued with that 

We let Ayling go , rather than sold in receipt of an offer we couldn’t refuse

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If you’re going to throw stuff around to support your stance,,  at least bother to get the facts right rather than make them up

Not a good incident ,

but complete fabrication by you ‘ involved in an incident of pouring piss over people from a balcony ‘ 

Aylings involvement extended to ...... being present....and not stopping it and possibly grinning....

In any case it was piss pour . 

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not a good incident ,

Throw stuff around? Calm down dear. 

Fine, no one may have been underneath, at that point. But....

Involvement levels I’m not debating, there is no arguing however he was involved and the whole incident was piss poor.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

It is quite likely that he was keen to join up with Kyle Bartley....they were the 2 CBs in Arsenal’s youth team.

48 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Out of likes (used up three or four today, is that all we get) ?

I'd agree that three players being jailed (Partridge was the other one) is a tad more serious than pissgate where Ayling was just in the wrong company at precisely the wrong time. Especially with his mug over the front pages grinning at some berk who had pissed in a glass. I would hope that had no bearing on his leaving as he did nothing wrong imo.

Ayling is a very good footballer, coming from the Arsenal school of excellence he should be, but I'm not sure if he  instructed by SC in the Championship to bomb forward at will or if he was just playing his natural game. Either way, he left huge gaps behind him which were regularly exposed by the opposition and, in that sense, he was a liability imo and glad he played less of a part and ultimately left when LJ came in.

LJ changed things to make the team harder to beat which didn't involve Aylings natural instinct to bomb forward and he was surplus to requirement which I'd agree with. That's how I saw it anyway.

Decent footballer, and it looks like Leeds suits his game and vice versa but wouldn't want him back as we have better imo.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I wouldn't disagree about seemingly different treatment  , and I'm only speculating on how SL may have looked at it. 
If someone would have come in for Orr and Brooker with a good offer just after their shenanigans , I expect we would have seen the back of them too.

Oh, and from my perspective the piss thing was worse. Rich ***** acting entitled in a 'I can do what we want with no reprisals " . Then again, if it were me that owned the club I would have bollocked Ayling in private and moved on, as he hadn't actually done anything part from being there. Brooker and the rest were out of order , but to me pissgate was worse. Just my opinion though.

27 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

So 3 players? 

I'm pretty sure there are many more, I'm not just talking about players in the last couple of years which is probably what you are referring to, but over a number of years, stop being so argumentative just because you can't think of any doesn't mean there haven't been lots, pretty sure it happens to lots of other teams, players just don't fit at certain clubs. oh and you can add Richard Keogh, Brett pitman, and Hörður Magnússon to that list as well, 6 enough for you?

On 24/12/2018 at 16:24, pillred said:

I'm pretty sure there are many more, I'm not just talking about players in the last couple of years which is probably what you are referring to, but over a number of years, stop being so argumentative just because you can't think of any doesn't mean there haven't been lots, pretty sure it happens to lots of other teams, players just don't fit at certain clubs. oh and you can add Richard Keogh, Brett pitman, and Hörður Magnússon to that list as well, 6 enough for you?

How would you say Brett pitman went into better things? He scored his most ever goals in a season in the championship with us. 

Hörður isn’t a championship quality defender I don’t feel. 

Keogh has done well for himself. 

I doubt our record of players going onto so called better things is any worse than other clubs, you just want to beat the club with something. It’s hardly being argumentative when your unable to explain yourself properly. 

32 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

How would you say Brett pitman went into better things? He scored his most ever goals in a season in the championship with us. 

Hörður isn’t a championship quality defender I don’t feel. 

Keogh has done well for himself. 

I doubt our record of players going onto so called better things is any worse than other clubs, you just want to beat the club with something. It’s hardly being argumentative when your unable to explain yourself properly. 

I'd quit when your behind if I was you, Brett Pittman went on to help Bournemouth win promotion to the premier league after leaving us, and Hörður Magnússon left us for a club in the champions league, losing an argument obviously rankles with you. I have given you six players that we got rid of that have gone on to have very successful careers don't know what more I can do to prove my point. 

35 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Sobering thought but IF Leeds , Boro and Villa go up ( big If , I know ) we could see Heaton , Reid , Cunningham, Ayling, Flint , Adomah,Bolasie , Kodja and Bryan ( unlikely) being Prem league players !  

Don’t think it’s sobering, shows the club has had a good eye for talent over the last few years on the whole

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:51, Allwaysred said:

Loved the party life too much and was a bad influence on a few others Freeman was the same.  

No more so than Pack, who is still here.

There were some great players in that promotion team - it's good to see them develop and progress in their careers. It is however a big frustration they weren't able to do it symbiotically with us. 

On 23/12/2018 at 18:57, formerly known as ivan said:

Apologies first of all as I know some people on here don’t like to discuss former players...

However, I have just watched the highlights of the Villa/Leeds game today and realised he is captain on a Leeds team full of quality. This says how much the manager rates him and what a good player he is.

How did we let him leave?! I do remember the full story, only that it came not long after the incident at Cheltenham races. Was his contract coming to an end? 

Probably the most important question being how has he never been replaced with better, or even equal quality!

Gutted when he left , we should never have got rid of him , Johnson didn’t rate and didn’t play him and the end of his first season,  LJ put him back into the team just to put him in the window to sale him.

Another bad bit of business by Lee Johnson.

Archived