IGNORED

Which players are good enough to get us into play offs

barneyrubble

Yesterday was my first live match of the season as I watch my son playing.

The lack of quality we appear to have was worrying. I really struggled to see how we were trying to score. Only when Taylor came on did we look to create something different. 

Thought the keeper and both centre backs look solid . Pisano had a good game as well although not pressured as Brentford exposed our left side . Lloyd Kelly had a shocker. Midfield average to say the least and forwards given zero supply. The 4 5 1 shape was awful with Patterson not creating anything and is far to lightweight. Matty Taylor our most intelligent player by a mile and caused  more problems by himself than the rest did all afternoon.  Eliasson on for 3 minutes ridiculous time for a sub.

To sum up I struggle to see what we are practicing all week to produce that level of ineptitude. There are only 3 or 4 players anywhere near good enough on that performance. 

Whinge over I can go back to watching local football on Saturday where they do still tackle and do appear to care whether they win or lose.   

14 minutes ago, Barney red said:

The lack of quality we appear to have was worrying. I really struggled to see how we were trying to score. Only when Taylor came on did we look to create something different. 

Thought the keeper and both centre backs look solid . Pisano had a good game as well although not pressured as Brentford exposed our left side . Lloyd Kelly had a shocker. Midfield average to say the least and forwards given zero supply. The 4 5 1 shape was awful with Patterson not creating anything and is far to lightweight. Matty Taylor our most intelligent player by a mile and caused  more problems by himself than the rest did all afternoon.  Eliasson on for 3 minutes ridiculous time for a sub.

To sum up I struggle to see what we are practicing all week to produce that level of ineptitude. There are only 3 or 4 players anywhere near good enough on that performance. 

Whinge over I can go back to watching local football on Saturday where they do still tackle and do appear to care whether they win or lose.   

You only have seen one game though . Other games we have played far better,  with quick passing moves and attacking play. Shame you didn't see them. 

1 hour ago, Barney red said:

Yup. You've summed it up perfectly... shame you can see it after 1 game and LJ.... ooops. LJ out thread alert! :whistle:

1 hour ago, Barney red said:

Spot on. Been like that since this time last season when it all went to pot.

When we demonstrated our true ambition as a club. And how the divide between those who want it and those who say they want it became so evident.

Ignore those who say that there have been better games. There have but they are few and far between.

Ignore those who say we need to get some of those who are injured back. They aren’t good enough either.

How a group of players can play so well against Norwich and then dish up that festive delight is beyond me.

For as long as the infrastructure is the focus then this is the sort of dire football we can look forward to.

Enjoy your local football. It’ll be better than anything you see in BS3 for the foreseeable future. 

Sadly.

Just now, JonDolman said:

I think most of our players are good enough to get us into the playoffs. You don't always need an amazing squad to do well. Cardiff side was pretty average on paper, and just look at Birmingham now. Many other examples over the years. And on paper we have a good side, but I think we have underachieved so far this season.

Cardiff had players like Hoilett that could produce a bit of magic.  We don’t have that type of player this season.

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think most of our players are good enough to get us into the playoffs. You don't always need an amazing squad to do well. Cardiff side was pretty average on paper, and just look at Birmingham now. Many other examples over the years. And on paper we have a good side, but I think we have underachieved so far this season.

Ha- Birmingham that's a can of worms. They overspent horrendously...like Che Adams especially plus Jutkiewicz and Jota has flair- he showed it at Brentford, perhaps not so much under Monk. I won't get into that today however...it's a double-edged sword Birmingham and FFP- for the money they've (over) spent...

Cardiff I'll grant you more so (though as Dave said, Hoillett could give a spark) and yeah I take your general point. Average, well managed sides who hit form at the right time can put on a surge and hit top 6- Millwall nearly hit it last season after all, QPR under McLaren may yet do similar! (Another FFP can of worms I'll explore some other time in the same thread).

I'll go, some of these are inconsistent so this is considering they in good form;

Niki Maenpaa, Lloyd Kelly, Adam Webster, Nathan Baker, Marlon Pack, Josh Brownhill, Callum O'Dowda and Famara Diedhiou. 

That being said Jamie McCombe, Lee Johnson, Ivan Sproule, Jamie McAllister and Darren Byfield were all key members of a team that nearly got automatic promotion so frankly anything is possible.

Why is Kalas so overlooked on here?

I don't get it- in the sense of he reached an automatic promotion with Middlesborough and 2 playoffs in 2 seasons with Fulham- 3 seasons 1 automatic, 2 playoffs (1 successful and one unsuccessful). Has he just regressed/stagnated here or something? On paper, he has the biggest Championship pedigree of any of our squad right now in terms of consistently competing at the top end in the previous years.

Would also add, he played a big role in them making playoffs in 2014-15.

Is it that he was made to look better by their sides/managers, perhaps he was played in roles that better suited him or perhaps management of him here is bang average?

23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't get it- in the sense of he reached an automatic promotion with Middlesborough and 2 playoffs in 2 seasons with Fulham- 3 seasons 1 automatic, 2 playoffs (1 successful and one unsuccessful). Has he just regressed/stagnated here or something? On paper, he has the biggest Championship pedigree of any of our squad right now in terms of consistently competing at the top end in the previous years.

Is it that he was made to look better by their sides/managers, perhaps he was played in roles that better suited him or perhaps management of him here is bang average?

Think he’s been a bit mixed.  Started well, was a bit poor, got a broken jaw, came back a bit average (not unsurprising really), but has been better again.

Looking forward to seeing him and Webster on Daturday, especially with Pisano.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Think he’s been a bit mixed.  Started well, was a bit poor, got a broken jaw, came back a bit average (not unsurprising really), but has been better again.

Looking forward to seeing him and Webster on Daturday, especially with Pisano.

Thought he was excellent yesterday, smelt danger ,  covered others, calm defending , decent distribution 

Thought him and Webster a major reason we eeked our a point

I would say the difference between us and the other top teams is we don't have an outstanding keeper or a 20 goal a season striker and our midfield needs strengthening as we don't have any cover which means Pack & Brownhill have to play every game.

Players who are good enough:

Webster, Kalas & Kelly

Brownhill, Paterson (on his day)

O'Dowda, Taylor, Eliason ?

23 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

I would say the difference between us and the other top teams is we don't have an outstanding keeper or a 20 goal a season striker and our midfield needs strengthening as we don't have any cover which means Pack & Brownhill have to play every game.

Players who are good enough:

Webster, Kalas & Kelly

Brownhill, Paterson (on his day)

O'Dowda, Taylor, Eliason ?

The midfield is the issue for me. Interchanging and most importantly resting 2 of Pack, Brownhill, Smith and Walsh for the odd game would have made a massive difference. Instead we have had to flog the first 2 to death, meaning work rate might not be as high as possible, while tired players are less likely to be fresh enough to be creative. A Prem class short term loan would do us the power of come January, at least until Walsh us back.

Otherwise defence is decent (joint 5th best as of yesterday) but think we probably need more support to Fam.

Play off standard

Maenpaa done nothing wrong in goal

Webster future Prem player

Kalas been there done it

Baker as above

O'Dowda would fit in nicely at any club in this league

Diedhiou well underrated

Kelly is almost there and will be a Prem player in future but too many mistakes at this moment in time

Who’s good enough at present to be a promotion chasing squad?

Kalas, Webster, other than that I’m struggling. I really like Korey, I think he’s our most important player, so I think he could be in a promotion chasing squad. Maenpaa would be a decent sub keeper. 

Other than those, struggling a bit. 

Archived