Home to Rotherham. Something like this

NM

TK.                 AW.             LK

EP.                                                           JD

MP.              JB

COD OR JP

FD.                       MT

Thoughts

Just spent 5 minutes trying to work out who OR was ffs.

4 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Home to Rotherham. Something like this

NM

TK.                 AW.             LK

EP.                                                           JD

MP.              JB

COD OR JP

FD.                       MT

Thoughts

If you were manager would you play Kelly, Pack, Paterson and even a couple of others of yesterday's team?

Not if you wanted to keep your job!

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

I really don't want to go back to 3-5-2, it just doesn't seem to work in this league and the last time we used it for a prolonged period it really showed.

Agreed. We got torn apart through the middle nearly every game under Cotts in our first season up. 

16 minutes ago, Redbo said:

Agreed. We got torn apart through the middle nearly every game under Cotts in our first season up. 

Was that because we played 5212, rather than a typical 532.  Smith and Pack just too much work to do, with Freeman floating.  Had Cotts played Freeman (or someone else) in a flatter 3, I think we would’ve been more solid.

I don’t think the 3 at the back was the root cause, it was partly an issue, but the lack of cover in front was telling.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Was that because we played 5212, rather than a typical 532.  Smith and Pack just too much work to do, with Freeman floating.  Had Cotts played Freeman (or someone else) in a flatter 3, I think we would’ve been more solid.

I don’t think the 3 at the back was the root cause, it was partly an issue, but the lack of cover in front was telling.

Could well have been. We were very exposed either way. Much more solid with 4 at the back. But we lose some of that attacking verve. Especially this season without Reid. He’s our biggest loss I think. 

21 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I agree it wasn't the three at the back who were the issue but the wing backs/wide men in a 3-5-2 need to be a while other level of quality in any 3-5-2 set up. 

In our case Pisano doesn't have the stamina to play 90 minutes running up and down the pitch and of all of our right sided midfielders I can't see a single one being able to do both the attacking and defensive duties at the level they would need to. 

Then looking at our midfield three, I'd say the best set up would be Korey, Brownhill and Pack which would be great, only Korey never seems to be fit and who else are we going to use? If we played 3-5-2 it would more than likely be a 3-4-1-2 than an actual 3-5-2 as we have Patto and Weimann who would either have to both be left out or one play that attacker behind the attackers role. 

Simply put, this squad hasn't been put together with 3-5-2 in mind and with our defence already being pretty solid we'd be foolish to change that up, the real change needs to be in the midfield and how we attack the game. 

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I agree it wasn't the three at the back who were the issue but the wing backs/wide men in a 3-5-2 need to be a while other level of quality in any 3-5-2 set up. 

In our case Pisano doesn't have the stamina to play 90 minutes running up and down the pitch and of all of our right sided midfielders I can't see a single one being able to do both the attacking and defensive duties at the level they would need to. 

Then looking at our midfield three, I'd say the best set up would be Korey, Brownhill and Pack which would be great, only Korey never seems to be fit and who else are we going to use? If we played 3-5-2 it would more than likely be a 3-4-1-2 than an actual 3-5-2 as we have Patto and Weimann who would either have to both be left out or one play that attacker behind the attackers role. 

Simply put, this squad hasn't been put together with 3-5-2 in mind and with our defence already being pretty solid we'd be foolish to change that up, the real change needs to be in the midfield and how we attack the game. 

Absolutely right

At home against sides we expect to mainly put players behind the ball, we should be setting out to create chances 4-4-2 for me:

Maenpaa

Pisano, Kalas, Webster, Da Silva (Kelly needs some down time)

Elliason, Pack, Brownhill, COD

Fammy, Eisa

Not a hope that will be the starting 11against Rotherham mind, as LJ will want to include Pato somewhere!

Archived