IGNORED

Streaky Runs.

1bristolcity

No not anything to do with New Year excesses, but more how we have gained our points to date.

First seven matches total 14 points.

Next 11 matches just 8 points, and the last eight matches ...

16 points gained.

If we somehow could not go on these long drawn out bad runs every season, we would surely achieve promotion.   

14 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

No not anything to do with New Year excesses, but more how we have gained our points to date.

16 points gained.

If we somehow could not go on these long drawn out bad runs every season, we would surely achieve promotion.   

Losing runs are exactly why LJ has changed to a more defensive, direct approach I think. Has worked well away from home but he somehow needs to restore some balance towards attack at home.

20 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

16 points gained.

We’d probably be play-offs....which of course doesn’t guarantee promotion.

I’d hazard a guess that our streaks aren’t massively different to a lot of clubs in this division...but perhaps our non-winning/losing runs just too long to maintain a challenge.

• Leeds....2 game losing streak
  • Derby.....1 win in 5
  • Forest.....as above
  • Villa.....as above

The other thing is there have been more draws this season than normal.

0EDB032C-0520-4677-8059-DCD034E16E9F.thumb.jpeg.a1bee2f390e2e67a42ac841ad5654b62.jpeg

Middlesborough have won only 1 in 4 too I think. Could even be worse than that, haven't looked but fairly sure at best it's 1 in 4. 

Scratch that, they beat Reading and Ipswich- but their form over a longer period not quite stellar. In fact having had a quick look, we've gained 7 points on them in our respective last 8 games.

I just knew you would have the detail on this Dave ? But our bad runs are legendary throughout the football world in fact, well as far as Quest EFL anyway, of course all teams will have a blip, even the likes of Man City and the brilliant Spurs, but we do seem fond of these extended bad runs. I agree with Chinapig that LJ  has gone more defensive, which is not easy on the eye, but very effective, the fact we are equal second best goals against is proving that. Quite like the 'rope a dope' way we play, as was yesterday, and Rotherham, lets all hope for a unbeaten run in ... ?

On 02/01/2019 at 12:17, Davefevs said:

We’d probably be play-offs....which of course doesn’t guarantee promotion.

I’d hazard a guess that our streaks aren’t massively different to a lot of clubs in this division...but perhaps our non-winning/losing runs just too long to maintain a challenge.

• Leeds....2 game losing streak
  • Derby.....1 win in 5
  • Forest.....as above
  • Villa.....as above

The other thing is there have been more draws this season than normal.

0EDB032C-0520-4677-8059-DCD034E16E9F.thumb.jpeg.a1bee2f390e2e67a42ac841ad5654b62.jpeg

Interesting that all the upper midtable teams are in better form than the promotion challengers. Could make for a lot of positional changes before the end of the season

On 02/01/2019 at 12:17, Davefevs said:

I’d hazard a guess that our streaks aren’t massively different to a lot of clubs in this division...

That's something I wonder about every time this comes up. Is LJ's track record significantly more streaky?

This year at least, we don't seem to be much more streaky than those around us and immediately above us:

image.png.7011df9edfcf5ae295844ffcaeee6644.png

Forest only won 1 in their first 7.

Birmingham only won 1 in their first 11... lots of draws though.

QPR lost their first 4 games.

Villa went ten games with only 1 win.

Hull look streaky - they're the form team at the moment with 5 wins in a row. But earlier in the season they only took 2 points from a possible 18.

Preston went 10 without a win - 6 losses, 4 draws.

Not much point looking lower than Brentford who had an 8 game sequence without wins... although looking at Ipswich's results does make me feel for them - absolutely miserable to be supporting them this season.

This makes the way our results are spread look fairly normal.

30 minutes ago, OneWordCityNerd said:

How is that predicted ? Recent form I would assume if Hull are predicted 9th

Ive done my own and had city at 10th. For us to get in the playoffs we would have to win 10 or 11 out of 20 games and not lose more than 4 or 5. Doable but unlikely.

Our streaky runs are mentioned a lot on Quest EFL etc, so perhaps we are getting to be singled out at such, rather unfairly What is apparent that teams like Stoke get really stuck into the managers after just two indifferent results, then all that happens they play manager's musical chairs , at  least we have the dignity not to play that game, despite  some on here  wanting to. 

Football fans are so fickle and impatient, we might have to wait a couple more seasons before we win the Prem, just be patient. 

On 02/01/2019 at 11:50, 1bristolcity said:

16 points gained.

I had the streaky runs after xmas with too much xmas pud n cider!!?

Archived