IGNORED

The £2.5M transfer window gamble .....

headhunter

Have spent some time this quiet morning back in the office chatting about our expectations this transfer window.

Didn't have any dissenters to my line of thinking which is this:

Last year Fulham's success was pretty much down to what proved to be the inspirational on loan signing of Mitrovic.

If we sign 3 £40k per week calibre players for the remainder of the season [18 weeks to include the play offs] that would cost the club £2.16M in wages. Let's round that up to £2.5M for additional costs.

Spending £2.5M in this way is a low risk option when you compare it with one player at that transfer sum plus wages and with a 3 year commitment.

What are the downsides? Disruption to squad morale maybe? That can be squashed by saying to ALL players that if promotion is achieved through bringing in these stars everyone will have their existing contract terms extended based on a minimum one year term at premier league wages [this could apply to those out of contract in the summer too]. Such action would prevent the negativity "turkeys voting for Christmas" syndrome which blighted [IMHO] our 2004 play off final, i.e. there was no incentive for them to get promotion.

Simples?! OK, who we gonna get?

2 minutes ago, TomF said:

Pretty sure Diony probably cost us over £1.5m last season and look how that panned out ? 

He was such a roll of the dice. Only 7 appearances but didn't look like he was fitting into the squad at all.

I'm glad we attempted to sign 2 first team regulars that window though (Kent & Diony). I'm hoping we do the same this window but it actually pays off...

2 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Yes if we managed to get two decent loans instead of Kent and Diony, we would have got play offs at least IMO.

Defence and 90 minute concentration kept us away from the play off last season tbh. We had the players... 

2 minutes ago, Sturny said:

He was such a roll of the dice. Only 7 appearances but didn't look like he was fitting into the squad at all.

I'm glad we attempted to sign 2 first team regulars that window though (Kent & Diony). I'm hoping we do the same this window but it actually pays off...

It went SO badly wrong though, didn’t it. Diony was by his own admission suffering from depression and Kent was total pony. 

If we get decent loans in this time round they must have pedigree at this level and be considered better than we have and be able to start - and affect - games immediately. 

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

There are loan fees as well. Most loans at this level are untried Premier League youth players. Such is their age, it is as likely to work out as not I would say.

Rather we bought permanently than more loans 

Imagine if we bought Kent and Diony though ? 

There is definitely some quality out there only available on loan. We just need to get lucky that they like Bristol and have low ambition ?

4 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Defence and 90 minute concentration kept us away from the play off last season tbh. We had the players... 

Hmm, two of our so called better players [Flint & Bryan] were part of that defence - I think both have been replaced by better quality and the emergence of Kelly. How many had we conceded after 25 games last year. Losing a free scoring Reid [one season wonder?] and replacing him with Weimann the trier but NEVER prolific scorer was the mistake.

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

It sounds great on paper, but what quality loan options are out there who would realistically come to us? 

Not many I'd imagine... 

Agree with that. For loans to work for us we need to find Championship ready players not getting a game at their current clubs. Where are they? Yes, the likes of Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool have youngsters desperate for a game but from experience Kent was a waste of space and Da Silva is hardly ripping it up atm!! The January window is not the time 9 times out of 10 when you can find the players who will make a difference unless you can splash out on a Mitrovic who was out of favour at his club but obviously had the talent. Are there any Mitrovic types available atm?

12 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Yes if we managed to get two decent loans instead of Kent and Diony, we would have got play offs at least IMO.

Yep. But then again on paper they looked decent.

Someone like Defoe this time around would be interesting. 

8 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Diony I'm not even interested in defending, there were multiple signs that he was a bad gamble before we even made it, Kent however got a raw deal. 

I've watched Kent play for Rangers in a system that Gerrard knows Kent works well in and he really did shine, I think Kent wasn't the issue but the fact that he didn't suit the tactics last season. We signed him, we should have known what his strengths and weaknesses were before we made that loan. I think the player was good enough, it was just a case of he didn't fit the style of play. 

That's my hope for this window, that LJ knows the style he wants to play, sticks with it and signs players accordingly, not just grabbing what he can and hoping it all fits together because that's certainly what happened last season and it had a massive detrimental effect on the club. 

2 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Hmm, two of our so called better players [Flint & Bryan] were part of that defence - I think both have been replaced by better quality and the emergence of Kelly. How many had we conceded after 25 games last year. Losing a free scoring Reid [one season wonder?] and replacing him with Weimann the trier but NEVER prolific scorer was the mistake.

If we had those two back we'd have more goals but conceded more. Whilst Webster/Kelly score less and conceed less..

I agree about the Weimann part, we were asking a lot from that guy 

3 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Go get Andre Gray on loan. Barely features for Watford these days. Him and Fam as a front pairing would be very good in the Champ! 

I honestly don't think we'd be able to afford him and I doubt Watford would allow a talent like him to just go out on loan and pay his wages. 

6 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Go get Andre Gray on loan. Barely features for Watford these days. Him and Fam as a front pairing would be very good in the Champ! 

From what I've heard, Lansdown and Ashton aren't keen on going after players that had rejected us in the past. We put in a bid a number of years ago, and Grey didn't want to come, so a part of me wonders whether Ashton would want to negotiate with a player that might not want to play for us.

2 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

From what I've heard, Lansdown and Ashton aren't keen on going after players that had rejected us in the past. We put in a bid a number of years ago, and Grey didn't want to come, so a part of me wonders whether Ashton would want to negotiate with a player that might not want to play for us.

And a player on four times our average salary!! Another transfer window, another load of mad suggested signings 

On Football Manager he is on 70k a week Andre Gray. Not fact but theor salaries always look quite accurate. Going to PP payment Burnley wouod have put him in the 30-40k a week range. Then Watford bought him as a marquee signing. 50k would be the low end of what he is on. Can’t see it being feasible. 40k a week tops I think we’d contribute on top of a small loan fee(1m wages for rest of season and say 500k loan fee).

Still 3 of those is 4.5m. A lot of money for 6 months but if those take us from a 1 goal to 2 goal a game side without disrupting shape it would probably make us a playoff side. You can see why it is a difficult window. 

18 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

He isn’t featuring at Watford because he is currently injured

19 minutes ago, Spike said:

Diony I'm not even interested in defending, there were multiple signs that he was a bad gamble before we even made it, Kent however got a raw deal. 

I've watched Kent play for Rangers in a system that Gerrard knows Kent works well in and he really did shine, I think Kent wasn't the issue but the fact that he didn't suit the tactics last season. We signed him, we should have known what his strengths and weaknesses were before we made that loan. I think the player was good enough, it was just a case of he didn't fit the style of play. 

That's my hope for this window, that LJ knows the style he wants to play, sticks with it and signs players accordingly, not just grabbing what he can and hoping it all fits together because that's certainly what happened last season and it had a massive detrimental effect on the club. 

Talking a lot of sense Spike of late (not that you weren’t before ?).

12 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

Did Gray reject us or Brentford?

2 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Rather see some young lads come through from u23 squad personally.

Problem being our best 23's are out on loan, the guys who play for the 23's are the best of the rest and is often made up of a decent amount of under 18's.

Archived