IGNORED

The Championship FFP Thread (Merged)

Mr Popodopolous

A side has released their accounts!! 😱🥳

spongebob-patrick.png

It isn't Birmingham, Cardiff, QPR, Leicester or even Millwall whose losses I think may have upticked.

When Hull owner spoke of trembling the wwhe bill in August 2022 he wasn't fully wrong as it was probably £8-8.5m..it upticked in January 2022 and up again in 2022-23 obviously.

Did pretty much double year on year though.

Screenshot_20240205-185325_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.39fd60f0ca8af419a985c3899544c282.jpgThat is despite and inclusive of the Profit on Disposal, which I take to be KLP. He should account for most, maybe some were sold at a moderate loss which saves later but diluted the Profit there and then.

18 months to get up IMO.

This is interesting too.

Looked for a bit of analysis of Hull accounts and seems Sporting Quarters are an in-thing..

Birmingham are looking at a Sports Quarter and Hull are also looking at something similar, a Sporting Village.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hull-city-unveils-plans-25m-8121075

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Few tin hatters here, Birmingham fans or some anyway seem to think their wage bill was artificially inflated by their ownership ie not on the club itself but those who have ties to their HK Chinese outgoing owners.

https://wewilljourneyon.proboards.com/thread/8117/accounts-june-2023

👀

If this is true..There is already a poster on there who is/has been adamant that Leicester needed to sell.

Screenshot_20240206-003211_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5adc1b58f559fc16d8d7ff671bd06882.jpg

If that is roughly aligned the EFL cannot let them go up without challenge in 8-figure breach??

Some of my analysis and estimates have had Leicester £20m over limits btw, fwiw. Some much lower...I have a range.

On 04/02/2024 at 15:25, AnAstonVillafan said:

You hope that we are forced to sell players ?

How are Villa or Newcastle, Brighton or West Ham supposed to compete, get to a higher level without strengthening their squads ?

you sell to strengthen the squad, that's how clubs generate revenue outside of match day and tv and climbing the league, all the clubs your competing with do the same as well. 

and invest heavily in the academy setup to generate money from spends which do not count towards FFP

everyone has to do it as well

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob26 said:

you sell to strengthen the squad, that's how clubs generate revenue outside of match day and tv and climbing the league, all the clubs your competing with do the same as well. 

and invest heavily in the academy setup to generate money from spends which do not count towards FFP

Perfectly put.

Your club just sold Rogers to Aston Villa no less. Have sold multiple down the years..I actually highly doubted whether it was required from an FFP angle but it provides quite a bit more headroom.

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Perfectly put.

Your club just sold Rogers to Aston Villa no less. Have sold multiple down the years..I actually highly doubted whether it was required from an FFP angle but it provides quite a bit more headroom.

image.thumb.png.36342310118c0ca5110c712b5a65458f.png
Wouldn’t have thought so, sold Akpom in the summer for £10m.

• Like 1

Reports that PSR/FFP could be set to change next season.

That would be a cop out..to be fair to all clubs you need IMO to see it through to 2025-26 and let the chips fall where they may.

Change it in summer 2026 I reckon.

👀 As well as an obvious candidate in Chelsea, I also forecast that Aston Villa would benefit from such a rule change being so swift because the Grealish £100m sale benefit disappears from view after this year.

Happened in summer 2021 therefore is effective from the years which precede and the years which follow 2021-22.

On 04/02/2024 at 15:25, AnAstonVillafan said:

You hope that we are forced to sell players ?

How are Villa or Newcastle, Brighton or West Ham supposed to compete, get to a higher level without strengthening their squads ?

Putting aside the fact the ffp rules were introduced to protect the status of the elite clubs, the rules are the rules. 

If you want to spend to compete then you need to raise that money. Produce another Grealish for example. 

We're all bound by the same spending limits so no point crying about it. 

• Flames 1

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

Putting aside the fact the ffp rules were introduced to protect the status of the elite clubs, the rules are the rules. 

If you want to spend to compete then you need to raise that money. Produce another Grealish for example. 

Yes, this poster has changed their tune?

A few weeks ago they were strongly pro the FFP rules I thought. We are all bound by them, we have sold numerous not least to effing Bournemouth so crack on.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Reports that PSR/FFP could be set to change next season.

That would be a cop out..to be fair to all clubs you need IMO to see it through to 2025-26 and let the chips fall where they may.

Change it in summer 2026 I reckon.

👀 As well as an obvious candidate in Chelsea, I also forecast that Aston Villa would benefit from such a rule change being so swift because the Grealish £100m sale benefit disappears from view after this year.

Happened in summer 2021 therefore is effective from the years which precede and the years which follow 2021-22.

Didn’t someone say that it’ll be transitional…ie still have to pass PSR too until the 3-year cycle ends?

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Didn’t someone say that it’ll be transitional…ie still have to pass PSR too until the 3-year cycle ends?

I believe so, it seems chaotic right now. Albeit I personally think it should be left alone until summer 2026 to be fair to all.

Just on the Birmingham RPT, it does seems odd given their Commercial Revenue last year.

Remember this is in HK$ which makes it a bit harder to pin down but..

Screenshot_20240206-151621_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.2b9420f89f40a65c781e0fbe092a13ad.jpg

Commercial Revenue appears to be Club specific.

Remained pretty flat year on year. Maybe a bit up, perhaps a bit down.

Seems strange that a side yes it's an innovative deal should see it suddenly surge quite like that. I get the increase element but not to that level based on modest gains so far and indeed improvement on the pitch until Eustace sacked but back to the bottom 3rd atm.

Rooney in will have helped with Commercial pull but he was sacked.

Basically based on that it rose by HK$.524m between 2021-22 and 2022-23.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I believe so, it seems chaotic right now. Albeit I personally think it should be left alone until summer 2026 to be fair to all.

I’m not sure it can be described as chaotic when we don’t know the ins and outs of it?

20 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They're certainly going for it aren't they..I wonder if costs have risen again this year.

looking at the loans etc they will have a bump on fees and wages this season for sure, last season wasn't even the same scale as this season for the incomings

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Perfectly put.

yeah not required for FFP but think had to be sacrificed for the greater good

player had his head turned and wanted to go, so think they had to let him go rather than take the risk of keeping someone who might not be as professional as he was if he was still here and had been told no.

also gives a good message to other younger lads, and think that's the market we are in for most our signings the sub 24 years, that the club is a good place to come before going to the prem or better.

1m he cost, think he went for 10m plus add ons and sell on, so we come out with 8m up front after paying city off their 25% sell on too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rob26 said:

I'm not sure how a team trying to elevate, move forward a level sells its best players and somehow strengthens by not replacing them. Man City didn't sell Aguero at the peak of his powers to get better. Spurs didnt sell Kane until he broke their scoring record. They got the best out of their top players.

Villa are in the top as of four now. We arent going to stay there by selling Douglas Luiz to Arsenal, unless he is adequately replaced. Same goes for Newcastle. How are they going to compete at the sharp end while Chelsea, Arsenal and City simply bring more in.

Academy setup ? Villa ? Jesus Christ we have always done that. 14 million on youth developmement to May 2022. 8 millon going in just now at the new inner city academy. It is literally what this football does. Davis, O'Hare, Ramsey, Archer, Chukwuemeka, Grealish all products of the youth setup sold on at profit.

The club is trying to increase commerical revenue and sponsorship to close the gap, but its a glass ceiling. FFP is merely stopping the Sky SIx from being challenged.

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This is the best Villa side I have seen in 28 years. I ain't crying.

But not many clubs can pull a £100m player out of their youth academy and sell him before he reaches his peak just to balance the books.

We will spend but we will also coach, drill and improve our players to progress.

I reckon FFP will be overhauled soon anyway. 

Its not fit for purpose.

13 minutes ago, AnAstonVillafan said:

But not many clubs can pull a £100m player out of their youth academy and sell him before he reaches his peak just to balance the books.

We will spend but we will also coach, drill and improve our players to progress.

Its not fit for purpose.

It is fine, just because a few clubs don't like it doesn't mean it isn't fit for purpose.

As I'm sure everyone reading this knows, had the Fixed Assets loophole been closed in 2016-17, there would have been a £30m hole assuming the same expenditure and revenue patterns for Aston Villa in 2018-19.

Stoke would have been screwed in 2021 or 2022.

Sheffield Wednesday would have been screwed there and then and probably screwed again. 

Derby would have been in trouble across multiple periods, as would Reading even more so.

Birmingham would have failed again.

Blackburn might have failed.

The big flaw with FFP was allowing Fixed Asset sales to count towards the returns.

As we can now see had this rule not been fixed Leicester could've swerved it this January. They could actually face a £20m+ deficit this season according to someone on their forum.

EFL presumably didn't agree with them signing Sensi.

1 hour ago, AnAstonVillafan said:

Its not fit for purpose.

Why do you think it's not fit for purpose? 

Personally I think it needs to be harsher and the punishments more severe and over time keep reducing the allowed losses until eventually its at zero. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In respect of Leicester what is your thinking?

The Q&As on the EFL website have been updated sometime since I last looked at them.  Some additional information on Embargoes, and also 'Professional Standing'/'Established Player' which I believe is a changed definition (or maybe more clarity).

The rules are now clear that a club which is predicting a FFP breach will be subject to an Embargo, as will a club which only meets the limits with future receipts.

Currently no clubs are subject to an Embargo, so no club is predicting a breach as of today.

That said the Future Financial Information doesn't have to be in yet for this year.

My view remains the same as it always has been.  You cannot breach FFP until your accounts are finalised and the final FFP form submitted, as they are the measure used.

If the measures change my view might change.

Edited by Hxj
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hxj said:

The Q&As on the EFL website have been updated sometime since I last looked at them.  Some additional information on Embargoes, and also 'Professional Standing' which I believe is a changed definition (or maybe more clarity).

The rules are now clear that a club which is predicting a FFP breach will be subject to an Embargo, as will a club which only meets the limits with future receipts.

Currently no clubs are subject to an Embargo, so no club is predicting a breach as of today.

That said the Future Financial Information doesn't have to be in yet for this year.

My view remains the same as it always has been.  You cannot breach FFP until your accounts are finalised and the final FFP form submitted, as they are the measure used.

If the measures change my view might change.

In theory then and thanks, they could have their cake and eat it.

I take the Embargo Q&A bit to mean that when it becomes March 1st and the In-season Projections go in.

Predicting breach and referred I read somewhere else unless I'm misinterpreting.