IGNORED

Mark Ashton Q and A with Geoff Twentyman

Never to the dark side

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yes. Assuming he still wants to be here. Let's hope he hasn't changed his mind. That was probably Ashton's best interview. I have always liked how open him and LJ are. Many chief execs and managers would not tell us so much.

Agreed.

That hour passed very quickly and mostly very interesting and easy to listen to.

10 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

He his very good, despite all the 'knockers' and doubters re MA .  Lets be fair, no one on here knew that De Silva is an agreed signing (unless the player changes is mind)   I would have to listen to it back but i am sure that's what he said.

(Different to Diony where a fee was agreed but we could back out)

Thank God!!

8 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Da Silva and Kelly are neck and neck in the England ranks. If the former sees his mate join a top Prem team for a big fee then why would he settle for being the replacement? 

Because in that scenario he'll have seen that one very good season playing regularly for City in the Championship can equal a big move to a top club.

So unless a significantly better offer comes up, why wouldn't he?

6 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

We are allowed to lose £39m over three years.

As it stands we lost £35m over the past three years. However in the next season, we lose a year where we lost £12m and welcome in a season where we made over £20m in transfer profit.

We're absolutely fine next season for FFP barring a massive spend this January.

Remains to be seen how this season affects things, and certainly premature to start writing debt off with half a season to go. Our wage budget may well have gone up and we spent around £10m on transfers, so £20m profit may be a slight stretch. Even with that, there's no guarantee we won't make a loss and Ashton's comments on the radio suggested we will, albeit a substantially smaller one.

Either way, a ~£20m FFP loss in 2017/18 means we have wriggle room of £19m across two seasons, because you can lose £39m in a three-year period under FFP. Our annual losses have approached or exceeded that £19m figure in other previous seasons (they were £12m in 2015/16, and have been >£10m every season since 2009). So we need at least one season in three where we make a significant profit in the transfer market if we're going to keep out of trouble.

We can build slowly, making small losses and building a team capable of promotion bit-by-bit in every window, which will require patience but will save enough money to keep us within budget. We certainly can't have another stab at it, spending way more than we bring in, until the £20m debt from last season is shifted in 2021, because £20m + £20m is already too much.

16 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

I'll chuck 1 in the mix from Chelsea coming in..... Casey Palmer back from Blackburn loan watch this space... 

Like the thought of this.  Bit more direct and quicker than Pato, if not technically the same.  Would be a good option, but.....

.....can’t we only play 2 loanees from one club?  Unless Dasilva counts as a youth loan (if that’s still a thing - Callum Robinson was)?

3 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Remains to be seen how this season affects things, and certainly premature to start writing debt off with half a season to go. Our wage budget may well have gone up and we spent around £10m on transfers, so £20m profit may be a slight stretch. Even with that, there's no guarantee we won't make a loss and Ashton's comments on the radio suggested we will, albeit a substantially smaller one.

Either way, a ~£20m FFP loss in 2017/18 means we have wriggle room of £19m across two seasons, because you can lose £39m in a three-year period under FFP. Our annual losses have approached or exceeded that £19m figure in other previous seasons (they were £12m in 2015/16, and have been >£10m every season since 2009). So we need at least one season in three where we make a significant profit in the transfer market if we're going to keep out of trouble.

We can build slowly, making small losses and building a team capable of promotion bit-by-bit in every window, which will require patience but will save enough money to keep us within budget. We certainly can't have another stab at it, spending way more than we bring in, until the £20m debt from last season is shifted in 2021, because £20m + £20m is already too much.

We absolutely will make a loss. I have no doubt about it. But the point was regarding FFP, and as I showed, the numbers stack up, and Mark Ashton said we are very healthy regarding FFP. Are you suggesting he's lying?

8 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

We absolutely will make a loss. I have no doubt about it. But the point was regarding FFP, and as I showed, the numbers stack up, and Mark Ashton said we are very healthy regarding FFP. Are you suggesting he's lying?

No, I don't think you've understood what I was saying originally. We've had to make a nearly £20m profit on players in the summer to make sure we don't get caught by FFP. MA said FFP hasn't affected our business at all... That's rather economical with the truth unless replacing Bobby Reid with Mo Eisa is really his idea of the ideal transfer.

And I don't want us to have to become a selling club. We probably do have a better squad this year than last, but that's not because we've spent more, it's because we brought in expensive dross to fill the gaps last season. But is the first 11 stronger? I don't think so.

6 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

No talk about the need of a constructive central midfielder. 

Not sure about constructive, but if you're talking creative I'm more than happy for Walsh to get an extended run when he's fit again.

Would like to think we're talking to Jay about making the move permanently, he must realise Lloyd will be off this window or next so he'd have a starting position regularly. The higher he goes from here the less guaranteed game time he'll get.

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I’m very disappointed that so many believe MA will talk a load of corporate peak tonight. Give him a chance.  I’m sure he will say something very informative - eg. 

“Goodly heelolode loyal peeploders! Now all gatherymost to amuse it and have a tilty elbow or a nice cuffle-oteedee – Oh Yes!"

Oh yes twentlyblobe, made quibblode and questy that fallollop be nockers a proper verby of the fundermold of the Basic Engly fit. Lee Jojoson did answerforth that it must be one, otherwide he could not be say'd of it. He beed also inspirode by the workings of Steam Lansdrowd  and nunsendspoet Edward Lear.

This is a very good question and topicold. I would say that if the forward line have a symmetrical teamworkers and that they can from the first passit of the ball... take in mind the measured beat of a one, two, throo or fido... so that the ball can falollop out to the wingers and a very fine trittly how in a run and drop-kick and carry one and shooting in the goal if they can get by without an offsiger which is known on the ref and don't throw the bottload because he's only doing his best. But, er, it'll be hard on their halfbackers because I don't think they'll get a chance to do a falolloper shooty on account of the front line with their deep joy of, shall we say, an express in their enthusiasm to the first who to clop falollop in the goalmouth. Oh yes. Anyway it's a very good question, sir. It's not much about music excepting that half-time in the band falolloped huffalo-dowd.

Deep joy “

Well I never knew that Stanley Unwin was a Bristol City fan.

You learn something every day.

Brilliant!!!

:clap:

6 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

No, I don't think you've understood what I was saying originally. We've had to make a nearly £20m profit on players in the summer to make sure we don't get caught by FFP. MA said FFP hasn't affected our business at all... That's rather economical with the truth unless replacing Bobby Reid with Mo Eisa is really his idea of the ideal transfer. And I wouldn't call that scenario very healthy personally.

Yes fair enough, you're right I did misunderstand initially.

I do disagree, but you do make a good point. I think if we were to spend £20m odd that would be daft, and it's definitely fair to say Weimann was Reid's replacement. At the start of the season he played in the exact same position and style as Reid and for a while it worked. I guess we won't know until we see next year's numbers.

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

Would like to think we're talking to Jay about making the move permanently, he must realise Lloyd will be off this window or next so he'd have a starting position regularly. The higher he goes from here the less guaranteed game time he'll get.

Or Lloyd will be becoming our CB?

1 hour ago, nebristolred said:

We will be stronger in the next year for FFP as a particularly poor year of losses drops off the rolling period.

Actually, this season coming up- 2019/20, our rolling period will start with the £25m (minus allowable costs of £3-4m) loss.

However despite that? Think we're in a decent place with it.

With FFP you also need to consider amortisation- the cost of it you can knock off for people like Engvall, Magnússon and Djuric.

On a football note- Da Silva on a possible permanent is great news!

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I’m very disappointed that so many believe MA will talk a load of corporate peak tonight. Give him a chance.  I’m sure he will say something very informative - eg. 

“Goodly heelolode loyal peeploders! Now all gatherymost to amuse it and have a tilty elbow or a nice cuffle-oteedee – Oh Yes!"

Oh yes twentlyblobe, made quibblode and questy that fallollop be nockers a proper verby of the fundermold of the Basic Engly fit. Lee Jojoson did answerforth that it must be one, otherwide he could not be say'd of it. He beed also inspirode by the workings of Steam Lansdrowd  and nunsendspoet Edward Lear.

This is a very good question and topicold. I would say that if the forward line have a symmetrical teamworkers and that they can from the first passit of the ball... take in mind the measured beat of a one, two, throo or fido... so that the ball can falollop out to the wingers and a very fine trittly how in a run and drop-kick and carry one and shooting in the goal if they can get by without an offsiger which is known on the ref and don't throw the bottload because he's only doing his best. But, er, it'll be hard on their halfbackers because I don't think they'll get a chance to do a falolloper shooty on account of the front line with their deep joy of, shall we say, an express in their enthusiasm to the first who to clop falollop in the goalmouth. Oh yes. Anyway it's a very good question, sir. It's not much about music excepting that half-time in the band falolloped huffalo-dowd.

Deep joy “

You need a new spell checker pongo. :)

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not sure about constructive, but if you're talking creative I'm more than happy for Walsh to get an extended run when he's fit again.

But is LJ? He never seems that enthused about Walsh in certain/many formations

Ashton was good and he didn’t give us to much bullshit, seems he took a look at this thread.

Without going to far down the P word road, we have as good a chance as about 10 and what we do (either do it or give it a right good go) will influence DeSilva

I would love to know who the new striker/s are/is, I certainly got the impression we may be surprised. Exciting times!

16 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

No talk about the need of a constructive central midfielder. 

Casey Palmer and Joe Williams have both been rumoured both can play that 10 role.... both direct and stronger than pato. I do think if Da Silva has signed it's only time before LK goes. 

8 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Yes fair enough, you're right I did misunderstand initially.

I do disagree, but you do make a good point. I think if we were to spend £20m odd that would be daft, and it's definitely fair to say Weimann was Reid's replacement. At the start of the season he played in the exact same position and style as Reid and for a while it worked. I guess we won't know until we see next year's numbers.

Edited my previous post as it sounded more sarcastic than I meant, I just don't want us to become a selling club. Having a net spend of £20m a season would be mental but it'd be nice to be able to invest to at least compete with the teams around the play-offs, stuff Leeds and Villa they can live in their ivory castles.

And Weimann for Reid would be just as bad imo! The lad's got nine league goals in three seasons for Derby, cost us £2m and had a reputation of being a workhorse... just not the kind of thing that would inspire me to trek across the country to watch him strut his stuff.

Archived