IGNORED

Weakened Teams in Cup Competitions

Southport Red

Would be interested in the views of the Forum of 'Top' Teams playing weakened sides in the cup competitions.  Was watching a frankly abject Liverpool last night and found myself conflicted.  Do you think playing weakened teams in the Cup(s) is;

A) Disrespectful to the fanbase, the opponents and the competition.  Cheating ticket-payers out of the right to see the 'proper' team play, or

B)  These teams have massive squads, even the fringe players get paid tens of thousands per week, if they do not 'earn their pay' in the FA Cup 3rd round then what are they for?

My question isn't around the practicalities of the tactic (resting key players, if you CAN get through with a second string, why wouldn't you?), but more around the morality/ethics of it as a tactic.

As I say, I can see merit in both sides, help me out here.

The one I didn't get was Leicester at Newport.

7th in PL, not going down, no real chance of 6th now that Man Utd picked up under Solskjaer, in decent form what with beating Man City, Chelsea and Everton- why not go for FA Cup with your first XI or something close to it?

Think it can devalue the competition, but it can also boost chances of upsets which is a historic currency of the competition- like you I can see merit in each side of the argument.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

7th in PL, not going down, no real chance of 6th now that Man Utd picked up under Solskjaer, in decent form what with beating Man City, Chelsea and Everton- why not go for FA Cup with your first XI or something close to it?

Think it can devalue the competition, but it can also boost chances of upsets which is a historic currency of the competition- like you I can see merit in each side of the argument.

Puel also played a weakened team against Man City in the CC Quarter final. Bizarre.

Fabinho, Lovren, Shaqiri, Milner, Keita are all regular players for Liverpool so 5/11, Mingolet, Moreno and Sturridge have both played regular premier league football over last few seasons. They had Firmino, Salah and Mane on the bench, its only really Camacho, Jones and Origi who were the real outsiders in that starting XI so I think the reaction has been a bit over the top compared to other clubs who literally play an XI of kids every round.

41 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Unless Burton win the league cup and if one of the big 6 win the FA Cup then 7th will get a Europa league spot, 5 points separate Leicester in 7th and Brighton in 13th

4 minutes ago, hodge said:

Fabinho, Lovren, Shaqiri, Milner, Keita are all regular players for Liverpool so 5/11, Mingolet, Moreno and Sturridge have both played regular premier league football over last few seasons. They had Firmino, Salah and Mane on the bench, its only really Camacho, Jones and Origi who were the real outsiders in that starting XI so I think the reaction has been a bit over the top compared to other clubs who literally play an XI of kids every round.

I was watching Moreno last night. He is terrible, no wonder they are looking at LK.

9 minutes ago, hodge said:

Unless Burton win the league cup and if one of the big 6 win the FA Cup then 7th will get a Europa league spot, 5 points separate Leicester in 7th and Brighton in 13th

Oh yeah, 7th tends to get a Europa League spot but then again so does winning the FA Cup and the Carling Cup also as in Leicester's resting of players in that one too!

Both glory and Europe potentially on offer if they went for it. I would have gone for at least one of them- perhaps both but at least one- if I was Puel.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oh yeah, 7th tends to get a Europa League spot but then again so does winning the FA Cup and the Carling Cup also as in Leicester's resting of players in that one too!

A mix of glory and Europe potentially on offer if they went for it.

Yeah the league cup was harder to understand, but the FA Cup game they're the ones in possession of that 7th spot at the moment so perhaps now a case of trying to hold onto it, who knows if they could have known how many big teams would go out and the next draw matching a few then they may have played a stronger team.

Clubs can do what they like . It doesn’t devalue the competition if a ‘ weakened ‘ side is selected.

Does anyone care if they win a cup having played teams who lack one or two first teamers ? 

If City won the FA cup playing just those sorts of teams that’s great for us and tough titty for the clubs who misjudged our or their own strengths.

The history books would show 

Bristol City 2019 FA cup winners. Full stop .

( wow what a dream that would be ) 

I find it strange that the mid-table Premier League teams don't make more effort to win the cups.  Obviously Leicester are the exception that proves the rule, but there are so many teams that are never going to win the league or sneak into the top 4 and who are also in very little danger of going down.  Why aren't they making an effort to actually win something?

I can understand (although not agree with) a team like Liverpool fielding a weakened side, they are going for the title and are still in the Champions League.  It also makes sense for a team like Huddersfield that are struggling against relegation.  It just doesn't make sense to me that a team like Everton (I don't know if they did field a weakened side, just picking on them as a mid-table team!) would do the same.

Archived