IGNORED

Webster

Smokey

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think the £300k he paid for Flint was a large part of his budget, not that he didn’t think Flint was worth it.  Just meant he had less to spend elsewhere.

If your account is correct, and I have no reason to doubt it is, then this is yet another example of how 'soundbite' quotes can distort the true picture.

I seem to recall quite clearly reading how SO'D had 'stated' he would not have paid £250K (or even £300K ?) for AF, and, whether understandably or naively, I interpreted this to mean that SO'D did not consider AF to be worth that sum - and I disagreed with SO'D's view.

If, on the other hand, SO'D was saying, e.g. 'I wouldn't have blown 50% of my annual budget on one defender, thus depriving me of any decent forwards', then that would seem quite a reasonable statement and, if it had been reported as such, would no doubt have saved SO'D from some of the often unjustified criticism he received from various sources, this forum included.   

6 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

If your account is correct, and I have no reason to doubt it is, then this is yet another example of how 'soundbite' quotes can distort the true picture.

I seem to recall quite clearly reading how SO'D had 'stated' he would not have paid £250K (or even £300K ?) for AF, and, whether understandably or naively, I interpreted this to mean that SO'D did not consider AF to be worth that sum - and I disagreed with SO'D's view.

If, on the other hand, SO'D was saying, e.g. 'I wouldn't have blown 50% of my annual budget on one defender, thus depriving me of any decent forwards', then that would seem quite a reasonable statement and, if it had been reported as such, would no doubt have saved SO'D from some of the often unjustified criticism he received from various sources, this forum included.   

This was something I asked someone recently who was pretty close to the club at that time. 

1 minute ago, Red Right Hand said:

Incredible really to think what we had as a transfer budget only five and a half years ago compared to now!

I know, but we’d spent loads on crap players on high wages, and has to comply with League 1 FFP.  Little choice really.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think the £300k he paid for Flint was a large part of his budget, not that he didn’t think Flint was worth it.  Just meant he had less to spend elsewhere.

Not being funny Dave but it's still thick; How far did he think he could stretch his 'budget' if £300k was a large chunk of it? You aren't going to spend it better than on Aden Flint, and that is why I still find it inexcusable. Even if he did think that more inexcusable to say that of his own signing shortly after joining the club, no wonder flint had his confidence shattered. 

No matter what the context it showed terrible management- terrible if he thought that was a bad use of his budget or terrible man management, or both, which funnily enough makes it even worse. 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I know, but we’d spent loads on crap players on high wages, and has to comply with League 1 FFP.  Little choice really.

I know but the difference in figures is staggering when you just take it at face value - our budget back then would have just paid for Tyreeq Bakinson!

It was always going to be difficult if not impossible for SOD to be fair.

24 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Not being funny Dave but it's still thick; How far did he think he could stretch his 'budget' if £300k was a large chunk of it? You aren't going to spend it better than on Aden Flint, and that is why I still find it inexcusable. Even if he did think that more inexcusable to say that of his own signing shortly after joining the club, no wonder flint had his confidence shattered. 

No matter what the context it showed terrible management- terrible if he thought that was a bad use of his budget or terrible man management, or both, which funnily enough makes it even worse. 

I don’t know what his budget was, but if it was £500k, and 60% went on one player, he might’ve been thinking I can get 5x £100k players in???  He might’ve been hoping to get Flint cheaper???

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t know what his budget was, but if it was £500k, and 60% went on one player, he might’ve been thinking I can get 5x £100k players in???  He might’ve been hoping to get Flint cheaper???

Again, I'm not sure what mitigation that is. A monster like flint, better off replaced with 5 £100k players, what like Wynter, or what about those 2 Irish lads who amounted to nothing? 

It's not like he didn't get to spend; JET's wages, Nicky shorey's wages, Marlon harewood would have been paid well, Frankie Fielding. 

7 minutes ago, simon uk said:

To be fair, no one knew what a collosus flint would turn out to be, 300k from swindon for a cb with a year or 2 experience in the football league wAs a risk, that was and still is decent money in league 1

Fair, he wanted to spend it on Kyle McFadzean though :blink: 

I'm just gonna stop here. I know I have the benefit of hindsight, the benefit is also what is SOD's career now, you look back a couple of spells followed by a damn load of mediocrity at best. 

4 hours ago, Icelandic Clap said:

Webster looks like Steve Caulker during his loan spell here, comfortable on the ball and excellent at bringing it out from the back. 

Steven Caulker plus a fair bit in my opinion. Signing of the season, or for many of a season, for me.

Stay fit , and we have the bargain of the Championship at any club this season without doubt

9 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Steven Caulker plus a fair bit in my opinion. Signing of the season, or for many of a season, for me.

Stay fit , and we have the bargain of the Championship at any club this season without doubt

I don’t know. At the time, many of us were convinced that Caulker would play for England. Mind you, we thought Rose was pants.

Funny how that turned out!

On 12/01/2019 at 21:06, ncnsbcfc said:

Immense player.

I wasn't sure of him during the first few games of the season (particularly Forest). When he looked a but like bamboo on ice. But he has just grown and grown.

Love watching his reading of the game with Kalas(who is also class).

The best centre back partnership since taylor and carey I reckon.

Unfortunately I don't think there is any way we could afford to keep Kalas next year.

The Asian version of the Disney skating  spectacular?

Archived