IGNORED

Ashton Gate pizza restaurant

kiwicolin

On 20/01/2019 at 09:37, CyderInACan said:

Always found the Sports Bar & Grill and then the Doughballers a bit of an enigma. 

When the SBG was first opened it was a 7-day a week affair I think. They used to an absolutely top drawer Sunday Roast and I also remember going there for a lunch of Burger & Chips, nursing a hangover, the day after Bris beat Doncaster in the playoffs on a Sunday to secure their ill-fated return to the Prem under Andy Robinson. Again, top food and whilst it was never rammed the standard was high.

When it reopened as the Doughballers again, great food and staff, but for both incarnations it never seemed to be championed by the club - there was very little in the way of publicity locally (I live very close) or more widely within BS3 and beyond. A real shame as that could be a great little place - free parking on site and easy to get to. A part of the redevelopment that - matchdays aside - could’ve been a great community asset. 

I used to go in there quite a lot after work before it was the Pizzeria. Only ever me and one or two others in there but the food was always decent. 15% ST discount on everything then too. 

I only live around the corner also so I used to walk around. Before doing so I'd try and check if the place was actually open and it was near on impossible to find out. Nothing on the club website/Twitter. The bar had a Twitter account itself but rarely posted any updates. It posted the opening times when they first opened up but I found they were inaccurate most of the time (probably due to lack of visitors). 

The other thing that bugged me at the time - not sure if it's still the same now. From the outside, where the windows were so tinted, you couldn't tell if it was open or not until you got right the the door. Wouldn't be surprised if people turned up and assumed the place was shut. 

It'll be nice if it does re-open as originally intended once the rest of the redevelopment is finished. 

Archived