IGNORED

Ashton Gate 8

Clevedon Red

1 minute ago, BTRFTG said:

Ah, relation I take it? Was his office on Bedminster Down Road overlooking the ground? My mind's begining to play tricks I think......

My mind has always played tricks. That might have been Kew builders on bemmy down.

20 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Not sure why the name calling of New Dazzler fella, this is just an exchange of views on a subject where possibly the majority of City fans now weren't around at  the time. Despite your assertions, City players were on lucrative contracts far in excess of the average man or woman in the street, and I can recall an article in the People or News of the World which actually showed that City was amongst the best players in the late 70's with an average of c £250 pw when the average man/woman earned about £65..  Nobody is blaming them for signing the contracts offered to them, but the fact was that we slid down the leagues with these players with the majority of them fit to play whilst on top flight wages and that their options were to tear up their contracts and get something, or refuse, let the club go under and probably get less.The PFA told then to do the former, not out of any love for Bristol City, but because that was the best deal for their members.

The fact Geoff borrowed your old man's car when he was a 17 year old means jackshit with respect.because all apprentices earned next to nothing in whatever trade they were involved in, and he certainly wasn't an apprentice in 1976 when a first division player of stature.

Most fit professional footballers who lose their contracts don't have jobs to go to either of course and hundreds find themselves in that situation every season including plenty of our own over the years.

I don't believe people are calling them money grabbing charlatans,  but neither are they 8 men who had a dream to save our football team. That's my view, I am not a ****** whatever that is, I just have a different opinion.

Exactly this, and the playground-style name calling is always a sure sign that the guy or girl calling me a "6 star" realises they have lost the argument, but are incapable of articulating a reasoned response.  Apart from the prize comment that Geoff Merrick borrowed a car when he was a 17 year old apprentice!

Tammy Abraham borrowed Adam Matthews's car when he was 19, and he  couldn't even afford insurance or driving lessons, perhaps we should have had a testimonial for Tammy!

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Whatever your views on this dreadful situation back in 1982 - the Ashton Gate Eight did what they did 27 years ago today...it’s a notable anniversary in our history - I felt the club could have marked it in some way before the game vs Swansea yesterday...

37 years ago. We can all be aware of the past, nostalgic, sentimental, remembering major events.

But while we all remember in differing ways, let's look forward to where we are going, not over our shoulder to what is past.

PS. That's my view even though I lived through that horrible time and ploughed what little money I had into the share issue.

56 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

37 years ago. We can all be aware of the past, nostalgic, sentimental, remembering major events.

But while we all remember in differing ways, let's look forward to where we are going, not over our shoulder to what is past.

PS. That's my view even though I lived through that horrible time and ploughed what little money I had into the share issue.

Thanks for correcting me about it being 37 years ago and not 27 - dunno what I was thinking, my maths cant be that bad!

Archived