IGNORED

Joe Morrell the next academy starlet

Port Said Red

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

He looked like he completely belonged on that pitch. He passed crisply, positioned himself well, made tackles and was unlucky not to score.

If it wasn't for Palmer he would have been MotM for sure.

I was impressed with his desire to attack and to run with the ball, also, not afraid to put his foot in.

Solid performance.

Saw a big step up in this game from him.

Previously we've seen a neat and tidy player, usually just playing the simple pass.

Tonight he was more confident in both his passing range and movement on the ball.

Encouraging stuff and as pretty much as good as anything i've seen from Walsh so far IMO.

He was still looking a bit light weight he got knocked off the ball a bit to easily at times by a very strong Bolton side, 

But when he did put his foot on the ball his passing was very good , I liked he was always getting his head up ,

Think he could really have an affect on the games in the last 20mins when the other side are tired and his skill and pace can really affect the game

15 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

He looked like he completely belonged on that pitch. He passed crisply, positioned himself well, made tackles and was unlucky not to score.

If it wasn't for Palmer he would have been MotM for sure.

Palmer aside , joe was superb and deserved Man of the match imo 

Been waiting for Morrell to step up for years. Glad he's pushed on as I was worried for a while he'd end up like so many of our other kids over at Weston-super-Mare or Yate.

How many years ago was it he made his debut?

2 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

He did look very good. But who would he replace? Naturally it would be Brownhills position but he's not going to get dropped 

I haven’t watch any of the young uns until they get first team games . Thought he got lost at times v Huddersfield . He was superb tonight . 

5 minutes ago, TBW said:

Been waiting for Morrell to step up for years. Glad he's pushed on as I was worried for a while he'd end up like so many of our other kids over at Weston-super-Mare or Yate.

How many years ago was it he made his debut?

O'Driscoll gave him his debut in the mickey mouse cup a few years ago away at Wycombe Wanderers I think.

Morrell was 16 years old at the time and like you I've been waiting for him to break through for a while.

He's going to be a very good player - can play off both feet and makes good decisions when in possession.

1 minute ago, Show Me The Money! said:

He seemed to have a good understanding with Pack tonight. They looked like they'd been playing together for years

Bang on. 

Morrell showed himself to be more than competent tonight. Well done Joe. 

You’re right re Pack - they made a good partnership. 

2 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

Morrell and Walsh anchoring our midfield for the next 3 or 4 years.  Exciting times.

If we want to play a 5 man midfield moving forward add Brownhill or Joe Williams (should we sign him) and there's a good group of 4 to choose from

Excellent and mature performance. Calm head on the ball, won a couple of headers and maintained shape well in attack and defence. Also a couple of dangerous deliveries from corners. Hard to separate him, Palmer and Kalas (who I thought stood up excellently to their bully up top) for MOM

10 minutes ago, hodge said:

If we want to play a 5 man midfield moving forward add Brownhill or Joe Williams (should we sign him) and there's a good group of 4 to choose from

But let’s not forget one of the best CM’s in the Championship, Mr Pack. 

27 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

So does Morrell still get loaned out? I expect with Korey and Walsh make it almost impossible for him to get a game once they're back.

I would hope when the injured players come back they have to earn their place. The starting 11 tonight were superb in the first half and for me they deserve to start against Swansea. Its up to the others to earn their place. Its a squad game and if you come in and play well you should keep your place.

He was excellent tonight and didn't look out of place at all. This really needs to be his breakthrough season where he makes sporadic appearances as he is now 22 and won't be a 'young' player much longer. Amazingly, he made his debut in 2013 (over five years ago) against Wycombe in a City side that contained Marlon Harewood, Lewis Dunk and Brendan Maloney. 

I would love to see him get an extended run in the team, particularly with the cover provided by Pack in a 5-man midfield. He showed that he has a lot to offer tonight going forward and defensively. Our academy really has come on a long way since the days when we used to get excited about Tristan Plummer, James Wilson and Christian Ribiero. All of whom went downhill as soon as they left City. 

Archived