IGNORED

six wins in a row - outstanding

reddogkev

Loving this 6-game winning run,  got to say Credit to everyone involved.  Ok, being picky, 2 of those were against Bolton, but you still have to beat them.

Confidence breeds confidence and wins seem to produce even finer form.  Keep the good times going.

I would be looking over my shoulder with fear if I was a Boro fan.

BRING ON THE (mighty?) SWANS!

What's the most wins we've ever had in a row?  I can't recall if we won so many consecutive games in the famous Cotts Double season.

8 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Loving this 6-game winning run,  got to say Credit to everyone involved.  Ok, being picky, 2 of those were against Bolton, but you still have to beat them.

Confidence breeds confidence and wins seem to produce even finer form.  Keep the good times going.

I would be looking over my shoulder with fear if I was a Boro fan.

BRING ON THE (mighty?) SWANS!

What's the most wins we've ever had in a row?  I can't recall if we won so many consecutive games in the famous Cotts Double season.

Super has quoted the all time City record, but most recently under Danny Wilson IIRC  we had 12 wins on the trot, losing 1-0 at Wednesday to miss out on the chance to break the record.

9 minutes ago, Super said:

Record sequence of League wins – 14; 9 September 1905 – 2 December 1905 – This was a joint league record until 2017

This is league wins. We are actually on a quite unremarkable run of 4 league wins in a row.  It only goes to 6 if you say it is all competitions.

So, to beat the record of 14 league wins we need to win the next 11 league games. That means winning every game up to and including Wigan at home in the first match in April.

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think we won 11 on the bounce under Wilson in League One?

Genius memory mate. Again, found it on the OS (where you can look back through every season's results). 11 wins, on the bounce, and all in the league. 03/04 season. https://www.bcfc.co.uk/fixtures-results/first-team/200304-fixtures/

20 Dec 2003 - 21 February 2004. Just the one big win as well, mostly 1-0s and 2-1s. The one big one being 4-0 against Chesterfield.

7 minutes ago, Tiree said:

Maybe ask a slightly different question

Has Lee produced the best ever winning run in the '2nd tier', ie higher than League 1.

If so could one of the less than enthusiastic Lj fans propose a toast!? 

6 wins on the bounce is excellent, if LJ can lead us to 2 more wins to make it 8 to match his record breaking 8 defeats not that long ago, I might even start to believe in him! 

33 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

This is league wins. We are actually on a quite unremarkable run of 4 league wins in a row.  It only goes to 6 if you say it is all competitions.

So, to beat the record of 14 league wins we need to win the next 11 league games. That means winning every game up to and including Wigan at home in the first match in April.

You think that winning 4 games on the trot, at Championship level, is common place...? 

I wonder how many teams do it..? 

12 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

You think that winning 4 games on the trot, at Championship level, is common place...? 

I wonder how many teams do it..? 

By my reckoning, this season 8 teams have achieved it. 33 % of the division. Bristol City and Blackburn are currently on a 4 game win streak (our second of this season as we did it back in August/September). Boro did it in August. Sheff Utd have done it 3 times this season! Hull recently went 6 on the trot. Norwich and Leeds have both done it this season (Norwich have done it twice) and I think Birmingham as well.

So yes, 4 league games in a row is very good; but it isn't particularly remarkable.

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

By my reckoning, this season 8 teams have achieved it. 33 % of the division. Bristol City and Blackburn are currently on a 4 game win streak. Boro did it in August. Sheff Utd have done it 3 times this season! Hull recently went 6 on the trot. Norwich and Leeds have both done it this season (Norwich have done it twice) and I think Birmingham as well. So yes, 4 games in a row is very good, but it isn't particularly remarkable.

LJ doesn't do remarkable winning streaks.

Losing streaks on the other hand.................................... :whistle:  ;)

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I think Bolton are a better side than people give them credit for. We saw sparks of it on Friday and don’t think they deserve as much ridicule as they get and certainly don’t think they should be as far down the table as they are. Just don’t think they have the ability to grind out results like we seem to at the moment

16 minutes ago, Nathandao said:

I think Bolton are a better side than people give them credit for. We saw sparks of it on Friday and don’t think they deserve as much ridicule as they get and certainly don’t think they should be as far down the table as they are. Just don’t think they have the ability to grind out results like we seem to at the moment

They were surprisingly bold on Friday- usually whenever I've seen them they have been pretty defensive and penned back. Don't think they played so bad v West Brom either last Monday.

Thought they were quite dirty though but definitely yeah showed more in an attacking sense than 2 weeks previous for sure- helped make for an entertaining game.

4 hours ago, Nathandao said:

You've made the winning run seem even better in my eyes, classic!

I also love the fact that we can grind out results, we'd never really say that about City in the past.

6 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

According to the OS our longest winning run in 14/15 was 5. Started with 3-1 away at Doncaster on 24 February, ended by a draw at home to Gillingham on 14 March.

We did of course go 18 unbeaten in all comps at the start of that season. Then 16 unbeaten at the end of it.

There was another run of 5 league wins in a row that season - from Boxing Day 2014 to 7 Feb 2015 ....

16 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think we won 11 on the bounce under Wilson in League One?

15 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Genius memory mate. Again, found it on the OS (where you can look back through every season's results). 11 wins, on the bounce, and all in the league. 03/04 season. https://www.bcfc.co.uk/fixtures-results/first-team/200304-fixtures/

20 Dec 2003 - 21 February 2004. Just the one big win as well, mostly 1-0s and 2-1s. The one big one being 4-0 against Chesterfield.

One of my favourite YouTube videos. 

On 28/01/2019 at 16:57, Nathandao said:
On 28/01/2019 at 14:53, reddogkev said:

I think Bolton are a better side than people give them credit for.

Personally think they were one of the direst teams here this season, in the league game. For me, they are rightfully down the bottom. Couldn't really pick out one player who was any good in the league game.

On 28/01/2019 at 14:53, reddogkev said:

Ok, being picky,

Being picky none of the games in this 6-game winning run have been examples of us in good form...for more than about 10 minute spells. Fits and starts but better than earlier in the season when there weren't even 10 min spells of good play (and the scores back that up). Conversely, last season, in the autumn, I thought we were playing well in quite a few games for approaching 90 minutes, or as close as you can to 90 mins, given that no-one plays in top form all game long.

This current run seems to show an ability to mix good form and being obdurate in the face of opposition possession. Probably, playing well for the majority of the game leaves you open to being hit on the break and knackers you out. Hitting form in spells of games, alongside more prosaic play, is more of a balanced combination. Who knows. I have no idea.

Perhaps the manager has analysed the gung-ho/hard press of autumn 2017 and its subsequent cliff-edge drop-off of performance and results, and decided a more mixed approach to each game would be more fruitful. Then again, maybe it's just the ups and downs of football (depends on which side of the LJin/LJout fence you reside). Personally, I wouldn't yet wager against a similar lengthy run of games with no or few wins. 

Archived