IGNORED

Just wrong

BS3_RED

I was at the game last night behind the goal where the penalty was.. I thought Watkins just fell over the ball but wasn't sure at all. Everyone around me seemed to think that it was a penalty. 

I am surprised that the linesman didn't see it better as it was his side of the goal but Watkins is good at making it seem like he was fouled, it's not the first time this season he's won a penalty without any contact.

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Nail on head M fans are naive to think otherwise . 

I dont think it is naivety at all.To  some fans,myself included, it is more important to be able to respect the players that represent our club than to get success at any price.

3 hours ago, RedM said:

It’s got to a stage where there is too much to lose if you don’t win games so players use fair means or foul to gain an advantage. Many, many players and teams do it, some carry out the dark arts better than others.

Horrible to see, they are cheating eachother and the fans but the rewards are too great not to. 

Forget the moral argument. Do you know if there is a correlation between cheating and success? 

4 hours ago, JBFC II said:

The problem with that is that our results until the end of the season would have left us with the opportunity of promotion, so no matter what happened we would still have been in with a chance. 

Even then though, I'd find it incredibly bitter sweet. Even if it meant promotion I'd hate to see a city player dive to win a penalty and to be honest I'd much rather see us have to go through the play offs than have to cheat to go up

2 hours ago, Slacker said:

I dont think it is naivety at all.To  some fans,myself included, it is more important to be able to respect the players that represent our club than to get success at any price.

3 hours ago, CodeRed said:

In that scenario I'd hope he stays on his feet and fires the ball into the net for the winner.................if he goes down Fam probably misses the pen!

Sometimes you have to look at the big picture .......the cheating IS ruining the game - so let's not make it worse. How many times do you watch a TV game and the only thing discussed at HT and FT are the decision s ....."was there contact etc.."  A n d the reprehensible pathetic comments from ex pros.."he was entitled to go down"

Games are being won and lost on a dive a n d ultimately that ruins the sport for everyone.

4 hours ago, TomF said:

I remember Luke Wilkshire getting booed at home when he dived and got booked. It does happen. 

What I’m trying to say is that , no matter anyone’s moral outrage at diving (I don’t like it myself) its naive to think the game will get rid of it. It won’t , ever . The reason being that players are trying to gain a advantage plus there is lot of foreign players in our game that don’t see a problem with it. 

No one is bothered when a player claims for a corner when he knows it’s a goal kick  and scores from it. It’s less blatant but still gaining a advantage 

16 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

What I’m trying to say is that , no matter anyone’s moral outrage at diving (I don’t like it myself) its naive to think the game will get rid of it. It won’t , ever . The reason being that players are trying to gain a advantage plus there is lot of foreign players in our game that don’t see a problem with it. 

No one is bothered when a player claims for a corner when he knows it’s a goal kick  and scores from it. It’s less blatant but still gaining a advantage 

There's no doubt it started in our leagues when the foreign players began to be signed. I simply don't remember players like Garland, John Galley, Tom Ritchie, Cheese etc ..."going down" - players stayed on their feet, and when they got wacked they didn't fall down rolling around clutching their face but simply shrugged it off as they didn't want to show any weakness ( they simply waited and wacked the offender back twice as hard at the next corner!).

Foreign players are always being told they have to adapt to the intensity, work rate, and physicality of our leagues to be successful here - and the best of them do......so why not expect them to stop the cheating while they're at it ?  I remember last season a Watford player doing a triple roll / face clutching etc during a TV game and afterwards when Troy Deeney was interviewed he said he'd be "having a word" with the guy later "because I don't want to see that (behavior)" - It can change, and it should.

Archived