IGNORED

Speed Reduction on St Philips Causeway

handsofclay

Does anyone know when the speed limit on the St Philips Causeway was reduced from 50 to 40 mph? I've been doing 50 for years on there and have seen the 50 signs, but yesterday I was doing 50 when I suddenly noticed the signs now read 40. I'm just wondering how long they've been up there as they might've been there for a while and I've just taken it for granted it was 50 until I noticed yesterday!

Obviously, there are speed cameras there so it is a tad concerning, plus I thought I had better alert others who might fall into the same trap. The signs are replicas of the originals, just a small circular sign with the limit displayed, in exactly the same places except they now read 40 rather than 50. It would be nice if a few signs preceding the causeway actually alerted motorists to the fact that after about 25 years there has been a change to the speed limit.

• Admin

I noticed Monday, last week they had lanes closed for ‘work’.  I reckon that’s when the changed the signs, but there are no signs advising of the limit change.  I guess the next move will be to turn the speed cameras (revenue raisers) back on,  that have been defunct for several years.

Archived