IGNORED

End of Dry January - glass is half full

DownendRed97

After the rather ‘dry’ January in terms of transfer activity, I’m actually feeling a lot more positive than I did at 11pm last night when no striker arrived as many hoped they would, and after having time to reflect there’s a few reasons for this:

1) Our team is on a fantastic run of form and their togetherness and understanding seems to be one of the main reasons for this. Yes if Fammy got injured there may be more questions asked as to why we didn’t recruit a back up, however I think that whoever was to replace him up top of this were to happen needed to be someone that is part of the current group anyway. An Assombalonga or Hogan may have looked a tasty prospect on paper, but would’ve taken a while for them to develop an understanding with the rest of the team. If Weimann returns to his position up top he will already have this understanding and it would not disrupt the team as much as if a new face were to come in and lead the line.

2) The exciting prospect of seeing a young, raw talent in Semenyo potentially get some game time is a bonus for us all. He’s someone that Championship defenders would not have seen before and therefore this element of surprise could work in both his, and the club’s favour. Again if a ‘proven’ championship striker was to have come in, club’s facing us would have more time to ‘do their homework’ on a player like that than they could do on Semenyo. 

3) The issue of FFP has not been put under threat by our dealings. Clubs like Villa to use as example - yes they have Parachutes but surely they can’t go on operating as they are - another 3 high profile acquisitions on deadline day. Would much rather us battle for a play off place with no worries of a sanction if our attempts were to fall short than to have the added pressure of FFP affecting potential future dealings.

Of course there are plenty of reasons to be disappointed with how January has panned out, however I feel that we will look back on this in the summer as a positive rather than a negative - regardless of whether we get in the play offs or not, i think it will leave the club in a stronger position for the next window.

Archived