IGNORED

Preston v Derby

Northern Red

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Tbf, I don’t remember a huge amount of pretty football against Preston at home...

Correct, but I think it showed how to can get results in the Champ without striving to play teams off the park Pep-style, especially when you don’t have the quality of players to play that way.

12 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Strangely enough, I saw a clip just after we signed him where when asked how you pronounce it he says Dee-jhoo and nothing like what all the commentators say these days.

Thought the correct pronunciation was Fammy me babber.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Correct, but I think it showed how to can get results in the Champ without striving to play teams off the park Pep-style, especially when you don’t have the quality of players to play that way.

It’s odd (and it probably warrants its own thread), but I don’t really agree that LJ had an epiphany. If you look at how we play now, we still (at home) tend to have more chances than the opposition, and indeed, pass more. 

In short, I don’t think we’re playing differently - I think we’re playing the same way, but better. I think that’s largely driven by a few players who were passengers (not only, but on a key basis , Fam), now really playing well.

I think the epiphany came pre season, or even before - I think LJ realised that Flint for all his qualities did more harm than good to the defence overall and took him leaving to reshape. What happened post Preston (even post Millwall) is the players showed they believed in what he was saying. Don’t see a huge style change though

12 minutes ago, Redbo said:

Any others like that? My brother and I always call O’Dowda Alan for some reason.  

Alan O'Dowda  :laugh:

Now i've got this image of a guy wearing socks with loads of rings, a shirt with a huge collar, and hair and sideburns that are almost totally inseparable . And don't even get me on that Big Sam style 70s moustache

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s odd (and it probably warrants its own thread), but I don’t really agree that LJ had an epiphany. If you look at how we play now, we still (at home) tend to have more chances than the opposition, and indeed, pass more. 

In short, I don’t think we’re playing differently - I think we’re playing the same way, but better. I think that’s largely driven by a few players who were passengers (not only, but on a key basis , Fam), now really playing well.

I think the epiphany came pre season, or even before - I think LJ realised that Flint for all his qualities did more harm than good to the defence overall and took him leaving to reshape. What happened post Preston (even post Millwall) is the players showed they believed in what he was saying. Don’t see a huge style change though

Maybe SD.

I also think West Brom away was key too.  Played really well, but were so open.  After the game he talked about Pack being dragged out of his cage (and Barnes destroyed the space).  I think for a series of games whilst Pack adjusted and his teammates adjusted too we were pretty poor, culminating at Preston.  We played better at Leeds until the red card, but even Ipswich we weren’t great.  

I think it’s been steady improvement, and consistent selection, familiarity of role has helped massively.

i do see a change though.  We are much more disciplined.  My biggest criticism of us getting “strung out” is rarely seen in general play without the ball anymore.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe SD.

I also think West Brom away was key too.  Played really well, but were so open.  After the game he talked about Pack being dragged out of his cage (and Barnes destroyed the space).  I think for a series of games whilst Pack adjusted and his teammates adjusted too we were pretty poor, culminating at Preston.  We played better at Leeds until the red card, but even Ipswich we weren’t great.  

I think it’s been steady improvement, and consistent selection, familiarity of role has helped massively.

i do see a change though.  We are much more disciplined.  My biggest criticism of us getting “strung out” is rarely seen in general play without the ball anymore.

Mainly due to 4-1-4-1 perhaps. Got Newcastle up under Benitez. 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe SD.

WBA was really odd. It was both gung ho, and the one time I’d say Kalas and Webster did not play well (not helped by Kelly and Hunt having mares)

TBH I didn’t see much wrong with “minute one” strategy - they’re open, hit them before they hit us. What we didn’t do but I think we do now (and this speaks to your point) is stay in the game. Currently, I’m not worried if we go 1 down. I think LJ has more confidence to turn that around than ever before

11 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Tbf, I don’t remember a huge amount of pretty football against Preston at home...

It was bloody awful and the game was dire, add in the usual antics of the Preston players and Pearson being the usual instigator as well as them sneaking a goal. If there was one game in a season I would choose to miss it would be against PNE.

Archived