IGNORED

5th Round FA Cup

cidered abroad

13 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Agreed just read an article on BBC sport website about Lewes FC being the only team to pay both male/female players the same wages. It then went onto the FA cup, £3.6 million to the winners of the men's cup and £25,000 to the winners of the women's cup. 

Which is completely fair. When the women's game brings in as much money from TV rights and ticket sales, then they'll earn 3.6 million quid for winning the FA Cup.

3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Which is completely fair. When the women's game brings in as much money from TV rights and ticket sales, then they'll earn 3.6 million quid for winning the FA Cup.

Completely disagree. Shouldn't be the same but if the game is ever going to build a proper fanbase investment is greatly needed. 

I am biased as have a daughter who plays football but something needs to happen. 

27 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I understand this view from a purely business perspective, but from a wider societal angle we’ve got to take into account the historical (and prejudicial) mistakes at play that led to the current situation.

Despite a massive surge in popularity throughout (and in the first few years following) WW1 due to the men’s game being suspended - and yes, initially it was due to ‘novelty value’, but the public soon came to their senses and realised there was actual skill and ability involved too - the FA saw fit to ban women’s football for FIFTY YEARS. The ban was only lifted in 1971. I mean, what?!

Hence why it is felt there is a need to “force” (as some see it) a more equal footing. Whether fast-tracking growth ultimately proves to be the correct decision remains to be seen, and will also invariably be subjective, but I don’t think there’s much shame in attempting to correct the wrongs of those who came before us.

Archived