IGNORED

Why are we playing so well?

hoxton casual

LJ is getting the best out of the resources he has available to him, has set us to play in a way the players understand, and the team is well motivated.

There are certainly teams with better individual players and much more expensively assembled squads. Occasionally, those sides can look like real league beaters, blowing sides away, and watching them they can be very impressive. They are rarely consistent however. Whether it is Bolton or Rotherham at home, or Forest and Blackburn away, we are rarely in truth steam rolling over sides, every game seems hard fought. However, we are working hard and are consistent.

We still have all the top teams left to play, and whether we are pretenders or contenders we will see. I did not expect to be in this position however, and we have the excitement of some big games left this season, and that will do me. If we fall short it’s been a better season than I expected, and who knows?

IMO it’s because we ( SL ) stuck by a manager when it would of been easier to possibly get rid. We are building something & that takes time. From Patterns of play to youth development. Obviously the signings have been mostly positive, but again our scouting network seems to of improved over time to help go towards that. So I think it’s an overall consistency thing that points towards our current run. Lots to be happy about, but we must keep moving forward. COYR  

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

This, to me, is huge.

We’ve all had a good laugh about the “DNA” comments but have seen with Tomlin how one personality, irrespective of talent, can destroy a dressing room. 

Where we are now is a squad of players, each of whom work for each other, and each of whom know their roles. And that’s whether they’re in the team or not. The trick that LJ has managed is to get better players who are more likely to have ego with no ego. That’s huge.

At this level the players are better than 99% of people who kick a ball, and there isn’t much between base ability of all the players in the division at all clubs. Where there is a difference is between the ears. Work hard, work to the plan, work for each other. That’s why.

Controversial but I am personally glad Flint is not in the dressing room anymore.

3 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

Kalas and Webster and Da Silva are incredible, but however good your defenders are, if the structure is not right in front of them, with everyone knowing their defensive role I dont believe we would be peforming to this level. I also believe that our ability to move the ball and keep possession and progress up the field in a controlled manner is important. LJ is obsessed with transitions and triggers and i think he has nailed that. We dont lose the ball when we are out of shape, and when we do lose the ball, we react very quickly and regain our shape.

Ark at I - I sound like DaveFevs ?

Ha ha, that’s funny because as I was reading your words my thoughts went exactly to two things I’ve said for a while:

- we no longer get strung out, especially away from home

- we no longer get caught on the break, especially down the middle - because of Pack

Youve learned well grasshopper ?

I think a lot of our good run is down to our squad strength, the thread earlier this week about us having 2 teams , cover for every position is very interesting, eg 2 good goalies, 2 RB, 4CB, 2 LB etc etc all singing from the same hymn sheet. Also very telling that we were all concerned about Flint going, BUT LJ said to ashton , you can sell only if I get webster. we miss Aden's goals BUT sign a guy years (5 or 6) younger , a better defender AND bank a few £million, Best bit of business for a while.

2 hours ago, cityexile said:

LJ is getting the best out of the resources he has available to him, has set us to play in a way the players understand, and the team is well motivated.

There are certainly teams with better individual players and much more expensively assembled squads. Occasionally, those sides can look like real league beaters, blowing sides away, and watching them they can be very impressive. They are rarely consistent however. Whether it is Bolton or Rotherham at home, or Forest and Blackburn away, we are rarely in truth steam rolling over sides, every game seems hard fought. However, we are working hard and are consistent.

We still have all the top teams left to play, and whether we are pretenders or contenders we will see. I did not expect to be in this position however, and we have the excitement of some big games left this season, and that will do me. If we fall short it’s been a better season than I expected, and who knows?

This post has been cut and and pasted  from 10 years ago and the name changed from GJ to LJ!

Acute awareness of where and when not to risk losing possession - both previous LJ seasons showed guile going forward but gave opponents plenty of chances to counter. I actually think we are still quite susceptible to the counter, but a) we use the ball for longer to work an opening - we are playing chess not basketball - and b) if we give the ball away it is only in low risk positions like sideline on the halfway line, everywhere else on the pitch we are just ridiculously stacked with footballers who can one touch pass or run, and so we are not giving opponents cheap attacks. 

It has taken time, so I get it now when LJ talks about the complexity of his football, by which I presume he means situational drills and patterns of play to avoid these risks, which every player needs to know in the back of their head in every moment of every game. Even winning at Birmingham was uncultured, smash and grab and not fully formed. Forest and today were a first look at the real deal, players who look so unbelievably comfortable because they've got a plan for  the ball in every situation.

It obviously helps that we have the best centre backs I have ever seen play for City in my lifetime. They are the foundation but I think it is important to recognise what LJ is doing with the football in front of them. And yes, I will eat any amount of humble pie.

Well today is my boys under 10s team last game of the season. If they win today, that will make it a 100% win record for the season in the league, including several scores in double figures. 

The secret, if it is a secret, is hard work and being organised. The players, with a few exceptions, arent miles ahead of the opposition, but they have gotten themselves a settled way of playing, can mix it with the rough stuff when needed, but everyone knows their role and they are motivated for each other. Seems to me these prerequisites may apply to all levels of football?!

I don’t think we’re playing overly well. I think we have just found a formula of winning games. It has started from the back four with the likes of Webster and Kalas who have been phenomenal. 

We will always create a few chances in the game but I think there’s definitely room for improvement in that area. The difference from last season is previous results would look something like this...

City 2-2 Swansea

Blackburn 2-1 City

Our success is simply the back four and the midfield defensively. We’re not playing any better than last season but LJ has learned a lesson which is pleasing to see. 

8 hours ago, Olé said:

Acute awareness of where and when not to risk losing possession - both previous LJ seasons showed guile going forward but gave opponents plenty of chances to counter. I actually think we are still quite susceptible to the counter, but a) we use the ball for longer to work an opening - we are playing chess not basketball - and b) if we give the ball away it is only in low risk positions like sideline on the halfway line, everywhere else on the pitch we are just ridiculously stacked with footballers who can one touch pass or run, and so we are not giving opponents cheap attacks. 

It has taken time, so I get it now when LJ talks about the complexity of his football, by which I presume he means situational drills and patterns of play to avoid these risks, which every player needs to know in the back of their head in every moment of every game. Even winning at Birmingham was uncultured, smash and grab and not fully formed. Forest and today were a first look at the real deal, players who look so unbelievably comfortable because they've got a plan for  the ball in every situation.

It obviously helps that we have the best centre backs I have ever seen play for City in my lifetime. They are the foundation but I think it is important to recognise what LJ is doing with the football in front of them. And yes, I will eat any amount of humble pie.

Word for word Ole. Even winning at QPR and Ioswich we looked like we had no shape or structure,  but it was being worked and I could not see it. Give me a fork to share your humble pie.

8 hours ago, Olé said:

You've put this better than I could. Wasn't there yesterday but I thought after the Swansea match that I'd witnessed a complete performance in which the frustrating flashes of what LJ claimed to be trying to do came together in a really impressive way. My scepticism about LJ has been based in a lack of confidence in him knowing how to turn his many ideas into something that his sides could deliver with consistency. If I think back no further than the Brentford and Rotherham home matches what we saw was a bit of a mess, frankly. If it's coming together now I'll very happily give LJ the credit for doing something quite remarkable. A well organised, creative, City side featuring some of the most technically accomplished players we've seen don the shirt and led by a management team finally coming into their own is a very exciting prospect. And I'll happily join you in eating the humble pie.

Edit: just spotted @hoxton casual's post...this humble pie is clearly in demand!

47 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I don’t think we’re playing overly well. I think we have just found a formula of winning games. It has started from the back four with the likes of Webster and Kalas who have been phenomenal. 

We will always create a few chances in the game but I think there’s definitely room for improvement in that area. The difference from last season is previous results would look something like this...

City 2-2 Swansea

Blackburn 2-1 City

Our success is simply the back four and the midfield defensively. We’re not playing any better than last season but LJ has learned a lesson which is pleasing to see. 

Yes , and no . The formula for winning games and the difference IMO is that we have found a balance . 
Previously , we scored goals and then managed to throw away winning positions. Pack's role in this I don't think can be underestimated, whether he looks to be having a good gam or not.  Previous years , I have lost count of the times teams would walk through out MF, or one straight ball would kill us. I think we have played well, in building the defence. We are becoming more attractive and more threatening, slowly . Some of this comes from knowing if we score it's doubtful we lose. Gradually the forward players are trusting what's going on behind them , and are happy to make the forward runs that I have criticised the team for NOT making, even early in this run. All we need to add, is to start playing those runners in more often, and earlier. Even yesterday ( and I only listened to the radio) you hear Weimann has made a run and Paterson has twisted and turned and lost it. It's that part of the game that does need to improve. 
I have said before, the style ( or whatever you want to call it) is evolving. The players seem more comfortable and confident with what they are doing, and that seems to be effecting further up the pitch. I agree we can improve/play better, but I do think we have played well , at least recently. 
I think the fact that we think there is more to come is very encouraging.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Discipline, game management, confidence, hard yards in the training , better squad management...

Yep, players fighting to get in the eleven, players fighting to stay in, players fighting to even get on the bench.  LJ now has a squad that he knows doesn’t get weakened by whoever he plays theoretically.  We do lack a Diedhiou type to lead the line, but we will just have to play a bit different if he is rested, injured or suspended.  I would like us to rest him v Wolves and see Taylor or Weimann start as the 9.

1 hour ago, hoxton casual said:

Word for word Ole. Even winning at QPR and Ioswich we looked like we had no shape or structure,  but it was being worked and I could not see it. Give me a fork to share your humble pie.

I don’t think it was v QPR...the first half was two abject teams with little purpose, differentiated by a moment of quality from Taylor.  Second half was better but still not much cohesion, differentiated by Weimann’s movement (too hot to handle) and the ability to soak up and play on the break, but still very much 3 separate moments.

As for Ipswich, again not the “new system”....started without Famara, he replaced Adelakun at half-time.

Look at these two graphics (apologies for the crayons!) first half v second half.  They show average positions over the game.  I’ve split them by each 45...over the 90 they average out of course.

First half, back four exposed (red shading), by a bunched and too far forward midfield (yellow shading).  Kelly and Pisano afforded little cover too...and guess what?  Sears scores by getting the ball on the LW v Pisano, who is worried by the runner outside, and shows him inside...goal!

7A6D774E-3EA9-49B8-825D-4CD8A9569D8B.thumb.jpeg.b778d2a9cf8fb6318b6143016bfdf924.jpeg

Second half.  Fam on, Paterson in the no10, Eliasson switches RW to LW, Weimann goes to RF. After 10 minutes Walsh is replaced by Morrell, and we start to see the foundation of the 4141/4411/4231 we’ve seen of late.  Pisano at RB is more in touch with Kalas too, but Kelly massively helped by having a proper Winger/Wide-Midfielder in front of him (Eliasson).  Paterson’s positional play little different over the 90, which shows how poor he is at helping his LB when playing LW.  He scores a good goal, is influential, but all 3 goals come from Kelly and Eliasson’s influence, and by Pack and Morrell getting good possession in good positions before going wide.

You could argue LJ stumbled on this, and you may be forgiven (and no need for humble pie) for thinking this might be a typical formation away from home.

What LJ has done is use it (the one up top) at home too...much to the disgust of home fans in the next game v Millwall.....

39 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think playing one up front has made us a lot more solid. That extra body in midfield is making all the difference.

....where I actually thought we played well enough to get the 3 points.  Millwall offered little but a bit of hit and hope paid off late on.  We created chances, Diedhiou missed a few, although surely he would have scored had Cooper not put through his own net.  

C0805F5C-59EB-41E6-9373-0624C8B8680F.thumb.jpeg.e8bee8f1b63032cb094fceb28093df57.jpeg

The likes of Ian on BBCRB lamented the one shot on target, but we also slid balls across the box with nobody on hand to tuck away.

The clamour for two up top doesn’t mean more chances, and I think Geoff Twentyman called Ian out on this.  Ian saying Fam could’ve scored 5, and Geoff retorting that it much mean we created chances then.

I think what has happened through results is a steady understanding from the more educated fans that the number of strikers does not necessarily correlate to goals.  Barcelona have at time played no strikers and scored 6!!

Johnson is playing it like a game of chess, playing the whole 90 minutes.  We score 71% of our goals in the second half (72% home / 70% away).  We are a fit team, cohesive and efficient.  We grind teams down to an extent.

We are on the rise....just keep quiet about it....shhhh!

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, players fighting to get in the eleven, players fighting to stay in, players fighting to even get on the bench.  LJ now has a squad that he knows doesn’t get weakened by whoever he plays theoretically.  We do lack a Diedhiou type to lead the line, but we will just have to play a bit different if he is rested, injured or suspended.  I would like us to rest him v Wolves and see Taylor or Weimann start as the 9.

I don’t think it was v QPR...the first half was two abject teams with little purpose, differentiated by a moment of quality from Taylor.  Second half was better but still not much cohesion, differentiated by Weimann’s movement (too hot to handle) and the ability to soak up and play on the break, but still very much 3 separate moments.

As for Ipswich, again not the “new system”....started without Famara, he replaced Adelakun at half-time.

Look at these two graphics (apologies for the crayons!) first half v second half.  They show average positions over the game.  I’ve split them by each 45...over the 90 they average out of course.

First half, back four exposed (red shading), by a bunched and too far forward midfield (yellow shading).  Kelly and Pisano afforded little cover too...and guess what?  Sears scores by getting the ball on the LW v Pisano, who is worried by the runner outside, and shows him inside...goal!

7A6D774E-3EA9-49B8-825D-4CD8A9569D8B.thumb.jpeg.b778d2a9cf8fb6318b6143016bfdf924.jpeg

Second half.  Fam on, Paterson in the no10, Eliasson switches RW to LW, Weimann goes to RF. After 10 minutes Walsh is replaced by Morrell, and we start to see the foundation of the 4141/4411/4231 we’ve seen of late.  Pisano at RB is more in touch with Kalas too, but Kelly massively helped by having a proper Winger/Wide-Midfielder in front of him (Eliasson).  Paterson’s positional play little different over the 90, which shows how poor he is at helping his LB when playing LW.  He scores a good goal, is influential, but all 3 goals come from Kelly and Eliasson’s influence, and by Pack and Morrell getting good possession in good positions before going wide.

You could argue LJ stumbled on this, and you may be forgiven (and no need for humble pie) for thinking this might be a typical formation away from home.

What LJ has done is use it (the one up top) at home too...much to the disgust of home fans in the next game v Millwall.....

....where I actually thought we played well enough to get the 3 points.  Millwall offered little but a bit of hit and hope paid off late on.  We created chances, Diedhiou missed a few, although surely he would have scored had Cooper not put through his own net.  

C0805F5C-59EB-41E6-9373-0624C8B8680F.thumb.jpeg.e8bee8f1b63032cb094fceb28093df57.jpeg

The likes of Ian on BBCRB lamented the one shot on target, but we also slid balls across the box with nobody on hand to tuck away.

The clamour for two up top doesn’t mean more chances, and I think Geoff Twentyman called Ian out on this.  Ian saying Fam could’ve scored 5, and Geoff retorting that it much mean we created chances then.

I think what has happened through results is a steady understanding from the more educated fans that the number of strikers does not necessarily correlate to goals.  Barcelona have at time played no strikers and scored 6!!

Johnson is playing it like a game of chess, playing the whole 90 minutes.  We score 71% of our goals in the second half (72% home / 70% away).  We are a fit team, cohesive and efficient.  We grind teams down to an extent.

We are on the rise....just keep quiet about it....shhhh!

Asl always thanks for the detailed analysis and I agree on your points on QPR and Ipswich. Finding a role for COD seems ot have given us balance and Paterson and Weimann. Lots of movement now around Famara and he doesnt feel he needs to come and get the ball.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

The clamour for two up top doesn’t mean more chances,

It all comes down to creativity, thought and movement doesn't t. Now we have players trusting their team mates so they'll make those forward runs to support the lone striker. Very noticeable when Palmer is on , players are confident that, if they make those runs , they will be spotted and played in. It has been gradual, and as I say I think we have more to come hopefully. Plus they can make those runs knowing there will be cover stepping in.
One of the things I liked when LJ joined us, was his willingness to study and learn. The recent trip shows he's still happy to do that and we may now be reaping the benefits . 

Archived