IGNORED

Lee Johnson and the winning run

reddogkev

Seriously, is this even happening?  I know every thread has a reference, understandably, to the amount of games we've won in a row now, but here it is:

Starts Saturday 29th December:

Rotherham (h) win, Stoke (a) win, Huddersfield (h) win, Bolton (h) win, Forest (a) win, Bolton (h) win, Swansea (h) win, Blackburn (a) win,

24 points!  Amazing job by City.

There's been a lot of noise in the past about the losing streaks we've endured, so it seems right to bask in the glory of this row of victories. 

Well done, Lee and the players.  Surely the likes of QPR and Wolves will bring our run up to TEN games!  Ha, I do love a spot of unadulterated wild confidence!

I think this is what stems my excitement:
Every team who gets promoted has a winning run, but not every team who has a winning run gets promoted.
We've had amazing winning runs in the past and nothing has come from them and for the most part, they are forgotten about.

I think when it comes to losing streaks they are remembered as much like the thing I said above, every team who is relegated has a monumental losing streak and whilst we're yet to be promoted to the Premier League we have certainly been relegated to League 1 a few times. I think a serious losing streak is crippling for some clubs and relegation will always set you back some years so it's a massive fear of every fan.

I'm really enjoying the streak and LJ and the lads deserve a lot of appreciation but I think regardless of how the season ends it's better to give them that praise then rather than now. I think of it as a building job, when the work is half done and it's looking fantastic it's easy to say well done to the building team and give them a pat on the back but sometimes that can make them relax a little and potentially not work as hard as they have been and the job doesn't finish quite as well as it could have. However, if you wait until the job is done they'll have focused on the job and not been distracted by the praise.

Right now I think LJ has the right frame of mind, he's enjoying it but he's not basking in it, every time he is talked to about the run he remains focused on the next game and isn't buying into any hype, that's exactly what he and the lads should be doing as despite having this amazing run we're still only in the last playoff spot and it's not even by points, it's by 3 goals. One big win from Derby as we get another 1-0 win and we're out of that 6th spot despite being unbeaten for so long and 8 consecutive wins.

I think I'll really feel excitement come mid-April if we're still fighting for a playoff position I may begin to feel excited but as we have Middlesbrough, West Brom and Derby in April we could easily slip out with a few bad results.

Credit to LJ and the team for the fantastic run but there's still a long way to go.

8 minutes ago, Spike said:

Every team who gets promoted has a winning run, but not every team who has a winning run gets promoted.
We've had amazing winning runs in the past and nothing has come from them and for the most part, they are forgotten about.

I think when it comes to losing streaks they are remembered is much like the thing I said above, every team who is relegated has a monumental losing streak and whilst we're yet to be promoted to the Premier League we have certainly been relegated to League 1 a few times. I think a serious losing streak is crippling for some clubs and relegation will always set you back some years so it's a massive fear of every fan.

I'm really enjoying the streak and LJ and the lads deserve a lot of appreciation but I think regardless of how the season ends it's better to give them that praise then rather than now. I think of it as a building job, when the work is half done and it's looking fantastic it's easy to say well done to the building team and give them a pat on the back but sometimes that can make them relax a little and potentially not work as hard as they have been and the job doesn't finish quite as well as it could have. However, if you wait until the job is done they'll have focused on the job and not been distracted by the praise.

Right now I think LJ has the right frame of mind, he's enjoying it but he's not basking in it, every time he is talked to about the run he remains focused on the next game and isn't buying into any hype, that's exactly what he and the lads should be doing as despite having this amazing run we're still only in the last playoff spot and it's not even by points, it's by 3 goals. One big win from Derby as we get another 1-0 win and we're out of that 6th spot despite being unbeaten for so long and 8 consecutive wins.

I think I'll really feel excitement come mid-April if we're still fighting for a playoff position I may begin to feel excited but as we have Middlesbrough, West Brom and Derby in April we could easily slip out with a few bad results.

Credit to LJ and the team for the fantastic run but there's still a long way to go.

Another good one Spike ⬆️ you’ve had your 3 shredded wheat this morning.

The thing stopping the players resting on their laurels, in the group of players wanting their place.  That’s how it should be.  And bar the few changes for the FA Cup, LJ has resorted to the ‘league line-up” and challenged the fringe to try and get in.  In last season's good run he couldn’t tinker because he didn’t have any other players.  Thiscseason he has players aplenty, but has resisted the urge to mess around. 

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Seriously, is this even happening?  I know every thread has a reference, understandably, to the amount of games we've won in a row now, but here it is:

Starts Saturday 29th December:

Rotherham (h) win, Stoke (a) win, Huddersfield (h) win, Bolton (h) win, Forest (a) win, Bolton (h) win, Swansea (h) win, Blackburn (a) win,

24 points!  Amazing job by City.

There's been a lot of noise in the past about the losing streaks we've endured, so it seems right to bask in the glory of this row of victories. 

Well done, Lee and the players.  Surely the likes of QPR and Wolves will bring our run up to TEN games!  Ha, I do love a spot of unadulterated wild confidence!

*18 points.

It's all down to LJ. In fact I think he is better than everything (except being in love). I challenge anyone to contradict the list below

Better than cream cheese and bagels
Better than honey on bread
Better than champagne and pretzels
Better than breakfast in bed
Better than chili rellenos
Better than chocolate e'clairs
Better than hothouse tomatoes
Better than fresh Bartlett pears
Better than dining a la carte
Or simply gastronomic art

Better than anything except being in love

Better than making a million
Better than being a queen
Better than oil wells and gold mines
Better than pastures of green
Better than finding a horseshoe
Better than losing your head
Better than anything ever thought of
Better than anything ever said
Ah, ha, better than singing right out loud
Or being, ha, spotted in a crowd (except at Ashton Gate or any away game)

Better than anything except being in love

Better than…

Winning 8 in a row is fantastic at any time. It should, to some extent, cancel out the 8 loses streak. For some I am sure that won't be the case though.

If 8 straight league defeats is a club record, what is the record for straight wins in the 2nd tier? It would be great if LJ could break it - if he hasn't already.

My big worry is that FD gets injured because that would surely mean a major change to the game plan. I'm just hoping that doesn't happen rather than speculating on what Plan B might look like.

bizarrely , I think that the QPR game could give quite an indication of how much we have changed from the old City. 
In times gone by , I have seen good runs come to a whimpering end against struggling opposition on far too many occasions. Rangers have had good runs this season and are no mugs, but they are very beatable. Previous years we would stumble to a draw or even and up losing. 
In this "season of firsts" as it will come to be know with future generations,  I hope we can turn up Tuesday play well and take a comfortable 3 points. Being as we are talking City, I doubt it will be straight forward.

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

bizarrely , I think that the QPR game could give quite an indication of how much we have changed from the old City. 
In times gone by , I have seen good runs come to a whimpering end against struggling opposition on far too many occasions. Rangers have had good runs this season and are no mugs, but they are very beatable. Previous years we would stumble to a draw or even and up losing. 
In this "season of firsts" as it will come to be know with future generations,  I hope we can turn up Tuesday play well and take a comfortable 3 points. Being as we are talking City, I doubt it will be straight forward.

Will be interesting to see how QPR react from yesterday.

On one hand they must be encouraged by how they came back from 4-0 down and almost salvaged a point. On the other hand they had a great chance to equalise with a late penalty and fluffed it which can knock the stuffing out of them.

I believe the game before we played them away they lost 7-1, so we know they are very vulnerable defensively.

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Absolutely this. I fully expect the unbeaten run to come to an end in a rank performance at home against a mediocre side as is the City way.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Will be interesting to see how QPR react from yesterday.

On one hand they must be encouraged by how they came back from 4-0 down and almost salvaged a point. On the other hand they had a great chance to equalise with a late penalty and fluffed it which can knock the stuffing out of them.

I believe the game before we played them away they lost 7-1, so we know they are very vulnerable defensively.

I think it could be a test for Webster/Kalas , Smith has got 3 in 2 so I can see them going quite direct. That said they will probably want to keep it tight so I don't expect them to come to entertain.

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

I think it could be a test for Webster/Kalas , Smith has got 3 in 2 so I can see them going quite direct. That said they will probably want to keep it tight so I don't expect them to come to entertain.

Another game where it's 0-0 at half time and we go on to win would suit me.

Would also make it the case for about 5 league games in a row.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I think when it comes to losing streaks they are remembered as much like the thing I said above, every team who is relegated has a monumental losing streak and whilst we're yet to be promoted to the Premier League we have certainly been relegated to League 1 a few times. I think a serious losing streak is crippling for some clubs and relegation will always set you back some years so it's a massive fear of every fan.

Good post - i've said it already several times, we've got a bit of a hell of a run in. 

QPR, Norwich, Birmingham in Feb..

Leeds, Sheffield Utd in March..

Boro, Villa, WBA, Derby in April..

Hull last game of season.

Compared to most our rivals it's a tough run in and that's why I am, though loving the run, not getting carried away. It could be our that our league position is 'inflated' because of how the fixtures fall. I guess though the other side of the coin is if we win those games and take points off those around/above us, our standing in the league will obviously be even better.

2 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Good post - i've said it already several times, we've got a bit of a hell of a run in. 

QPR, Norwich, Birmingham in Feb..

Leeds, Sheffield Utd in March..

Boro, Villa, WBA, Derby in April..

Compared to most our rivals it's a tough run in and that's why I am, though loving the run, not getting carried away. It could be our that our league position is 'inflated' because of how the fixtures fall. I guess thought the other side of the coin is if we win those games and take points off those around/above us, our standing in the league will obviously be even better.

Win our next 2 in the league and I'll consider us a serious contender.

Until then I'm just enjoying the run.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Can I just ask whether you dunking depth is done randomly, or dunk upto the little holes?  Asking for a friend who’s a bit of a saddo!! ?

I'm an all in kind of guy, 80% in the first dunk and then 20% to finish off 

12 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I’ve never understood why people take a nice crunchy biscuit and then make it wet and soggy.

Silly dunkers.

When you see that the r*vers dustbin thread has moved on two pages in a short period of time I like nothing better than sitting down with a nice cup of tea and a packet of digestives to fully enjoy reading about the latest disaster to have befallen our neighbours.

And dunking them of course. Anyone who doesn`t is just weird - they`re like those freaks who have brown Source on a bacon sandwich.

5 hours ago, Alessandro said:

QPR, Norwich, Birmingham, FA Cup 5th round in Feb..

Leeds, Sheffield Utd, FA Cup QF in March..

Boro, Villa, WBA, Derby, FA Cup SF in April..

Compared to most our rivals it's a tough run in and that's why I am, though loving the run, not getting carried away. It could be our that our league position is 'inflated' because of how the fixtures fall. I guess though the other side of the coin is if we win those games and take points off those around/above us, our standing in the league will obviously be even better.

Fixed it for you. Either way, April is completely mental.

Archived