IGNORED

Job for Mourinho? Chelsea need somebody new.

cityexile

Matt Law put this really well.

Since Terry left, there has been a huge leadership void in the squad. Player power has long been the strongest currency at Chelsea, but they at least had a leader they could get behind in Terry, and as long as the manager could work with the captain all was well.

You only need to look at Conte's time at the club to see how bad it is. It's since emerged that after he won the Premier League he was adamant that he needed to get rid of half of the squad and rebuild. That never happened, and we ended up with situations like Costa being kicked out, William celebrating the FA Cup win on Instagram by hiding Conte's face behind an emoji, etc.

9 hours ago, solihull cider red said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if journalists mention ‘the European way’ of doing things when they reflect on this game.

Apparently it’s deemed unsporting to beat a team by more than 4 on the continent, to the point where teams will actively down tools. I find the idea really strange given the emphasis on goal difference (which I assume is Europe wide).

That's not the case - so there is some logic to downing tools and conserving energy or avoiding injuries.

In Spain, Italy and Portugal the first tie breaker is head to head results and if that doesn't split the teams then often goal difference in those two games is considered first as well, making it fairly rare that the tie breaker ever needs to consider overall scoring against the rest of the league. It's in Germany, France, Holland, and of course England, that goal difference or goals scored is the primary tie breaker.

That's not to say that teams in Spain, Italy and Portugal don't produce goals, as it would be foolhardy to simply assume head to heads won't end up all square. I'll use the example of my own club Benfica, in a straight league title fight with Porto, Benfica holds a 1-0 win from one head to head played, but a 3 goal inferior goal difference. Title deciders can be cagey so very possible Porto win the other 1-0. 

To make it a good weekend all round for brilliant teams that wear read, last night Benfica won 10-0 in the league (no seriously - biggest top flight margin of victory recorded in Portugal for 55 years), and didn't at any point let up: giving them a massive swing to a positive 7 goal advantage over Porto, which in theory could be insurmountable down the line if head to head doesn't separate the two teams.

Of course even if you do down tools or try to be sporting, it does rely on the opposition at least trying to defend for the remainder of a game. Here is 60 seconds of a team doing that spectacularly badly.

39 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Well, i'm delighted that Chelsea appear to be in complete disarray behind the scenes......as long as they keep coughing up players like Kalas, DaSilva, Palmer and previously Tammy etc....

You`d think (and hope) that all three of them are glad they`re not part of the car crash at Stamford  Bridge and are thinking `y`know, Bristol`s OK really`.

12 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Not sure it's a European thing, but it's definitely a thing in the US. In fact, I remember an article after the Burton game stating that Blue Manchester were disrespectful for daring to score 9 (and indeed attempting to make it 10).

As for goal difference, I can't speak for other European leagues, but in Spain it's done on head-to-head record first.

Is it really?? I had no idea other leagues didn’t adopt the GD system.

20 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Is it really?? I had no idea other leagues didn’t adopt the GD system.

I think it`s because the top sides in Spain for instance regularly spank the lower ones (although that does seem to be changing and sides like Eibar are competing better now) and the league could be won by Barca or Real just because they put more past someone like Huesca. It`s a bit like disregarding goals scored v San Marino or Luxembourg in WC qualifying for goal difference purposes.

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think it`s because the top sides in Spain for instance regularly spank the lower ones (although that does seem to be changing and sides like Eibar are competing better now) and the league could be won by Barca or Real just because they put more past someone like Huesca. It`s a bit like disregarding goals scored v San Marino or Luxembourg in WC qualifying for goal difference purposes.

Getting that way in the PL tbh- just look at Sunday. :whistle:

On a serious note, definite trend in the last 2-3 years.

Archived