IGNORED

Matt Smith

bcfcredandwhite

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Weimann and Taylor also bring assists to the party too though- not all prolific strikers can.

Mind you, so can Smith- last seasons  11 goals and 9 assists in the Championship!

QPR - he's 20 in 88 games. Not great.

Third tier he's 1 every other game.

22 hours ago, Hocca said:

The Matt Smith love in is the strangest thing about this forum

Isn't it just. Our player history is quite literally choc full of players who scored better than 1 in 2, kept us on track for promotion and got us to Wembley almost single-handedly (headedly). Weird, eh.

11 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Yeah, however assists also- according to WhoScored he has 20 goals in the Championship in 83 games yes, it could well have come to 88 with Cups included too.

However...10 assists too. Then you factor in that of those 83 games, 34 were starts, 49 sub appearances.

Regardless of the stats (which actually are pretty decent), he might have been an ideal fit for crosses such as those of Eliasson.

2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

40 Championship goals in 176 appearances, that’s 10 a season for 4 seasons.  Not too bad.

However it’s 40 goals and 22 assists in the equivalent of 87 (90 minute) appearances.

I’d say he’s a proven Champ striker, if not necessarily a first choice / main goal scorer for a top team.  But certainly not 3rd tier.

16 in 75 appearances in League One.

Using similar 90 minute adjustment it’s 16g / 6a in 36 full games.

Happy for you to disagree.

On 12/02/2019 at 22:42, Spoons said:

The game changed when he went off.

Not only was he a threat up front he was clearing everyone of our corners!!

I'd have MS over FD any day of the week. Apart from the pen he was poor once again. No movement 1st half and misses from 3rds out luckily the game was won as after the pen he missed a sitter again. Hopefully it doesn't cost us.

For the price has was available at - 500K - then Smith surely was worth signing as a back-up for Fammy.

1/4 of an Engvall if you like.

I'd also like to think LJ and co would get more out of him, and certainly up his fitness a notch.

He's not a top championship player, but he is a real battler in the air and bruises the hell out of CB's every game.

I would not have been unhappy to have him as a squad player on a 1 yr deal.

I'd find it hard to believe we couldn't have moved him on for the same price when we get someone better in to help/challenge Fammy.

A player doesn't have to be Ronaldo to be useful - look at Wilbs.

2p

Archived