IGNORED

West Brom Penalty last night

DownendRed97

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Those clubs wouldn't be too bad a move for him to be honest, he is going to need the type of board that will show him the kind of patience that SL has. 

Southampton are on their third manager in a little over 18 months (not including Kelvin Davis's one game in charge).

I'm not sure that classes as patient.

Pellegrino: June 2017- March 2018

Mark Hughes: March 2018- December 2018

Hassenhüttl: December 2018- present.

IMO just a matter of time before they go down anyway- a club changing manager every 8-9 months or so isn't going to progress in a meaningful way. And it's an expensive way to go about things.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Southampton are on their third manager in a little over 18 months (not including Kelvin Davis's one game in charge).

I'm not sure that classes as patient.

Pellegrino: June 2017- March 2018

Mark Hughes: March 2018- December 2018

Hassenhüttl: December 2018- present.

IMO just a matter of time before they go down anyway- a club changing manager every 8-9 months or so isn't going to progress in a meaningful way. And it's an expensive way to go about things.

Hughes was never the man to keep them even at Puel levels though, let alone progress them. Wrong man simply.

Would be an interesting job for LJ though...

The interesting one before that list though, was though Pellegrino and his tactics were not an ideal fit, Puel had them 8th in the PL and in the final of the Carling Cup, plus beat Inter albeit out group stage in Europa League...careful what you wish for??

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Pellegrino replaced Puel (who was also sacked, though he almost lasted an entire year [30th June 2016-14th June 2017]).

Well alright, Hughes had a firefighting job last season but this season then he was never the man to get them back to Puel levels...or even to progress them to that point.

Pellegrino was the wrong man granted, but Hughes' win rate etc was over the course of his reign little better.

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well alright, Hughes had a firefighting job last season but this season then he was never the man to get them back to Puel levels...or even to progress them to that point.

Pellegrino was the wrong man granted, but Hughes' win rate etc was over the course of his reign little better.

But this is exactly the point I'm making.

Southampton are appointing someone to try and do the firefighting job, then end up in exactly the same position a year later, so bring in someone else.

There is no long term plan, every year they are paying a severance package to a manager and several coaches (as the new manager inevitably brings in his own men) plus transfer fees on new players for the new manager, only for the next summer having a different manager and different players wanted.

It's the exact opposite to the type of board we have here and the patience shown to Johnson.

What the fans views are I'm not so sure, but Puel was sacked for not being attacking enough or something on those lines, there was an issue with the number of goals scored. Now the first few seasons under LJ that wasn't an issue here, but the results was streaks of extremes. We scored plenty but conceded lots as well. This season has seen more of an emphasis on defensive solidity, the cost being the number of goals scored (though we do seem to still create plenty of chances). Would Southamptons board allow LJ the time to get the team how he wants it and the opportunity to turn one of his streaks around? I highly doubt it.

55 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

But this is exactly the point I'm making.

Southampton are appointing someone to try and do the firefighting job, then end up in exactly the same position a year later, so bring in someone else.

There is no long term plan, every year they are paying a severance package to a manager and several coaches (as the new manager inevitably brings in his own men) plus transfer fees on new players for the new manager, only for the next summer having a different manager and different players wanted.

It's the exact opposite to the type of board we have here and the patience shown to Johnson.

What the fans views are I'm not so sure, but Puel was sacked for not being attacking enough or something on those lines, there was an issue with the number of goals scored. Now the first few seasons under LJ that wasn't an issue here, but the results was streaks of extremes. We scored plenty but conceded lots as well. This season has seen more of an emphasis on defensive solidity, the cost being the number of goals scored (though we do seem to still create plenty of chances). Would Southamptons board allow LJ the time to get the team how he wants it and the opportunity to turn one of his streaks around? I highly doubt it.

I think Hasenhuttl will be their long term plan tbh- he's better than Hughes.

He is quite highly rated and according to a Southampton fan I know, they are going to look to get back to bringing players through their academy too- not exclusively of course but a mix of foreign and home grown...

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think Hasenhuttl will be their long term plan tbh- he's better than Hughes.

He is quite highly rated and according to a Southampton fan I know, they are going to look to get back to bringing players through their academy too- not exclusively of course but a mix of foreign and home grown...

If they're in the relegation fight next Christmas he'll be gone IMO

Archived