IGNORED

LJ suspended for 1 match

Eastside Moonwalker

JOHNSON RELISHING VIEW FROM THE STANDS

Lee Johnson is relishing the opportunity to get a different view on tomorrow’s Sky Bet Championship match against Birmingham City.

The head coach will manage affairs from the Directors’ Box at Ashton Gate as he serves a one-match touchline ban for receiving four yellow cards during the season.

Johnson, who will be sat next to Head of Performance Analysis Sam Stanton, will have radio communication down to assistant head coaches Dean Holden and Jamie McAllister.

“The touchline ban is not something I am proud of. But I’ve wanted to do it (sit higher in the stadium) for a long time and it’s something I’ve discussed previously on a number of occasions,” said Johnson.

“I think the perception in football is that the head coach or the manager needs to be part of the show down in that technical area. But in certain games in particular you can get an early bird's-eye view on patterns of play and areas to exploit.

“As much as I would love to be in with Section 82 starting the songs off and getting everyone bouncing, the rule is that you have to be in the Directors' Box!

“It’ll be interesting – I’ll sit there with my analyst and the headset either on myself or via Sam straight into Dean, which happens anyway, and the messages will be relayed.

“I can still do the pre-match, half-time and post-match team talk - I just can’t be seen pitchside.”

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

all it means is he gets a better view to watch the game from. 

He can communicate with Holden and Jamie Mac, and he can take the team talks. 

Pretty pointless really

I'm surprised some managers don't do it more often, better tactical view of the pitch, you can still communicate with the bench for tactics changes, subs etc 

5 minutes ago, hodge said:

I'm surprised some managers don't do it more often, better tactical view of the pitch, you can still communicate with the bench for tactics changes, subs etc 

Rugby head coaches do it and it seems to work well there. 

I think it's just a tradition thing that the manager is on the touchline

If we have already secured a play off place prior to the last home game [unlikely i know] on April 27th.............versus FLDADC, eg, Frank Lampards Distinctly Average Derby County?  Would it not be absolutely feckin brilliant if LJ spent the game in Section 82 as chief cheerleader?.............He would become legendary! ?  Please let it be so?  

Archived