IGNORED

Bielsa...

Silvio Dante

Leeds Shithousery 5 - Bristol City Shithousery 0.  Rule 1.  Don’t try to shithouse against a team that is better at it.

I thought Leeds were good first half, without necessarily creating much.  Their movement on that half was at pace and with purpose, swapping positions to create confusion.  Bamford dropping short to allow Klitch or Roberts to run in behind for example.   Nothing done half-heartedly or going through the motions.  That was the opposite to us.  The only sparks were runs forward from Kalas and Webster, often overrun or into congestion (not their fault)...or Paterson, who created our glimpses of their  goal.

They stifled us, got their goal, and that was job done.  Just like Birmingham and Wolves, we were allowed to have the ball in our own half pretty much, and then they swamp us as we try and play through the lines, hence why TK and AW had to be the ones to take the ball forward.  I did think Pack was sluggish at times, but in retrospect, just think Leeds were so quickly onto him.  He tried hard, his subbing was a tactical change.  Brownhill - anonymous - he has now had a few quiet games since Wolves where he was great.  Think he’s burned and the break can’t come quick enough.

We rarely turned them round today.  Surely Cooper and Jansson don’t like running toward their own goal.  The pitch seemed to hold up a bit tidal and chipped balls over the top / down the channels might’ve been a better option...gaining territory and allowing us to squeeze up.

Re my first line, we fell for their Shithousery big time.  Jansson and Cooper tug Diedhiou when the ref and Lino aren’t looking, and as the ball appriaches, and the ref is now looking, Fam is off-balance and has to foul to get a challenge in.  He’s got to learn to drag them away from the focal point of the attack.  It’s not his fault, the other players need to miss him out at times.

Came away very despondent at their tactics, but in reality i’m more disappointed that they sucked us into their game, knowing they are much better at it.  We fell for it big-time!  Pointless bookings collected too.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Leeds Shithousery 5 - Bristol City Shithousery 0.  Rule 1.  Don’t try to shithouse against a team that is better at it.

I thought Leeds were good first half, without necessarily creating much.  Their movement on that half was at pace and with purpose, swapping positions to create confusion.  Bamford dropping short to allow Klitch or Roberts to run in behind for example.   Nothing done half-heartedly or going through the motions.  That was the opposite to us.  The only sparks were runs forward from Kalas and Webster, often overrun or into congestion (not their fault)...or Paterson, who created our glimpses of their  goal.

They stifled us, got their goal, and that was job done.  Just like Birmingham and Wolves, we were allowed to have the ball in our own half pretty much, and then they swamp us as we try and play through the lines, hence why TK and AW had to be the ones to take the ball forward.  I did think Pack was sluggish at times, but in retrospect, just think Leeds were so quickly onto him.  He tried hard, his subbing was a tactical change.  Brownhill - anonymous - he has now had a few quiet games since Wolves where he was great.  Think he’s burned and the break can’t come quick enough.

We rarely turned them round today.  Surely Cooper and Jansson don’t like running toward their own goal.  The pitch seemed to hold up a bit tidal and chipped balls over the top / down the channels might’ve been a better option...gaining territory and allowing us to squeeze up.

Re my first line, we fell for their Shithousery big time.  Jansson and Cooper tug Diedhiou when the ref and Lino aren’t looking, and as the ball appriaches, and the ref is now looking, Fam is off-balance and has to foul to get a challenge in.  He’s got to learn to drag them away from the focal point of the attack.  It’s not his fault, the other players need to miss him out at times.

Came away very despondent at their tactics, but in reality i’m more disappointed that they sucked us into their game, knowing they are much better at it.  We fell for it big-time!  Pointless bookings collected too.

They used every single trick in the book. How they never had a player sent off I do not know. They certainly lived up to their dirty Leeds tag today. 

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Absolutely, completely spot on Dave.

Leeds were excellent in the first half and from what I saw are worthy of automatic promotion.

Second half, they were tedious, desperate, cynical - everything I despise about Championship football.

Substitutes positioning themselves on the Dolman side of the pitch and undertaking a near lap of honour with back-slapping and hugging before they leave the pitch. I mean, WTF is that about?

Their goalie who had the ball in hand after a free kick/off-side but waited until the ref got involved in one of his extended discussions to then kick the ball to the side of the pitch.

I've seen too many similar games this season. Preston just shading the shithousery with their succession of fake head injuries.

It's easy to blame the refs (as many have after this game) but they have so little sanction. The niggly, cheating tactics are designed to stay under the radar and not attract red cards or added time. I'm bored of it.

They clearly did a job on us yesterday and yes used all the tricks but basically got us on the back foot after an early goal. Our passing was poor and I understand people  saying that we needed to be moving the ball quicker which is usually one of our strengths but for me that was their plan. Make us play it quick by pressing us resulting in too many wayward passes.

What we are lacking and have been for a long time is a player that can game manage by putting his foot on the ball and slowing the play down sometimes just to retain the ball.

Pack and Brownhill were poor and Webster unusually was wasteful for the 2nd home game running. Yes I know he’s a defender but his turn of pace means he is a threat coming from the back and that has been missing in those games. That is possibly because our players have not been making the runs but it does restrict us. 

We suddenly have key players (Pack, Brownhill, O’Dowda and Webster) off their game and it’s costing us at a crucial time. Oh for a fit Korey yesterday. Does LJ  need to mix it up a bit or maybe just allow players to recharge after Ipswich ?

It’s hard to see us holding off teams like Preston and Forest who are finding form at just the right time.

5 minutes ago, Xiled said:

Absolutely, completely spot on Dave.

Leeds were excellent in the first half and from what I saw are worthy of automatic promotion.

Second half, they were tedious, desperate, cynical - everything I despise about Championship football.

Substitutes positioning themselves on the Dolman side of the pitch and undertaking a near lap of honour with back-slapping and hugging before they leave the pitch. I mean, WTF is that about?

Their goalie who had the ball in hand after a free kick/off-side but waited until the ref got involved in one of his extended discussions to then kick the ball to the side of the pitch.

I've seen too many similar games this season. Preston just shading the shithousery with their succession of fake head injuries.

It's easy to blame the refs (as many have after this game) but they have so little sanction. The niggly, cheating tactics are designed to stay under the radar and not attract red cards or added time. I'm bored of it.

The frustrating thing for me is that we as fans can see it going on, but the ref and lino choose to ignore it.  You can’t tell me they don’t see it.  They do, but they don’t understand the game to know what’s going on.

I blame our players yesterday for getting involved, trying to match them, and failing miserably.

15 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

And who was their guy at the end going absolutely ape shit in front of his fans too? Bloody hell!

Pretty sure it was their number 18 Jansson and was precisely the reaction I was expecting from someone burning off all the nervous energy of having managed to avoid even being booked despite being "warned" about 4 times by that excellent referee.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

They clearly did a job on us yesterday and yes used all the tricks but basically got us on the back foot after an early goal. Our passing was poor and I understand people  saying that we needed to be moving the ball quicker which is usually one of our strengths but for me that was their plan. Make us play it quick by pressing us resulting in too many wayward passes.

What we are lacking and have been for a long time is a player that can game manage by putting his foot on the ball and slowing the play down sometimes just to retain the ball.

Pack and Brownhill were poor and Webster unusually was wasteful for the 2nd home game running. Yes I know he’s a defender but his turn of pace means he is a threat coming from the back and that has been missing in those games. That is possibly because our players have not been making the runs but it does restrict us. 

We suddenly have key players (Pack, Brownhill, O’Dowda and Webster) off their game and it’s costing us at a crucial time. Oh for a fit Korey yesterday. Does LJ  need to mix it up a bit or maybe just allow players to recharge after Ipswich ?

It’s hard to see us holding off teams like Preston and Forest who are finding form at just the right time.

If ever there was a must win it’s Tuesday.  We need to go into the break with a win behind us.

As for Re-charging, at what point after the break do the key players become tired again....2, 3, 4 games in of Sat / Tues, repeat, matches?

Our central core are never rested....I don’t mind so much with Kalas / Webster, but there have been opportunities to rest up Fam, Brownhill and Pack and we’ve not done it.

Yesterday’s line-up felt like a “tinker”.  Who is our best RB?  There was no need to play Wright there now Hunt is back.  I get playing him there because Pisano cannot play Sat / Tues, but with Hunt fit, he starts for me, unless there is a clear reason why we need a CB at RB, e.g. they hit diagonals to their LW who is good aerially, etc.

Semenyo - bit of a magpie moment for LJ, a new shiny object, how can I get him into the team.  I can’t drop Pato, even though I really want to play him off Fam.  I know I’ll play him on the left, and I’ll swap O’Dowda to the right.  Ayling certainly welcomed him to the Championship.  In some ways it might be a good thing, because he’ll realise how hard he needs to work to attain the levels required in the Champ.

O’Dowda, now forced right, doesn’t get a sniff, him and Wright build no partnership.  Look at these images.C065D7CC-F02F-41D1-B953-E7563B0A6B70.thumb.jpeg.59551035c17fa6858eeabef43d5872da.jpeg

Not one pass from Wright to O’Dowda....even Dasilva got 4 passes to Semenyo!

95353A49-3DD4-4BBA-93FC-C19FEB213C41.thumb.jpeg.fefb6b790e0a19e9961d92b4db6eff41.jpeg

One pass from O’Dowda to Wright

2978A3D2-C4BF-4C31-97EB-1175F58A0B2B.thumb.jpeg.48939329c583368202ec649cfa512bf3.jpeg

O’Dowda got 3 passes from his teammates.  I’ve said at times he doesn’t make good angles, and that is true, but would be harsh to blame him yesterday with such poor service....although I think he needed to run Alioski short and long, drift inside, but he pretty much stayed by the Dolman!  It did create space for Kalas though.

B2C295D1-92F4-4444-809B-4FBCAD9BAC33.thumb.jpeg.804daed0fdb8ee63f714f40cb286df24.jpeg

Not his best afternoon’s work...but not all his fault.

Here’s Brownhill’s, although busier, has 62% pass completion, and only 22% in final third!

EBFA000C-24B2-4DA5-BF93-FB81642C6EE0.thumb.jpeg.634418a71f58649eea1cbb4c2e3809d1.jpeg

Think LJ got it horribly wrong yesterday, when up against a top team should have stuck with tried and tested 

Took a gamble on Semenya who was played in a different position to where he had a good effect at Preston, could be still in Ayllings pocket as will never have an easier afternoon and more space than captain kirk for the goal.

Prefer hunt as right back, although despite my concerns at kickoff Bailey did ok, although as pointed out above Callum got no service as was not in the game.

Unlucky to loose both our 1st choice keepers, Max did not look up to the job, flapping and punching when he could have caught.

Delivery of crosses very poor and easy catching practice for Leeds keeper.

In a game of very few chances, Fam and Taylor's straight forward oppurtunites need to be scored

17 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I think the sin bin idea might work well for this . Initially there will be many until they work out it damages the team too much. Be interesting to see how well the trials go. Though the ref yesterday was inept as many actions were clearly evident. I never blame a ref for high paced instant decision stuff, but yesterday he and his linesmen allowed fouling on an industrial scale. Football needs far better officials and much greater use of technology . The fourth official should also be able to brief the other officials based on tv feeds and replays (like rugby) to make them aware of such things. The technology is there. 

They are professionals too....they aren’t picking up £5 plus expenses!

2 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

First half they were better than us technically, 2nd half shut the game down IMO- through pressing and a useful structure but also through at times some gamesmanship.

We were below par too- maybe someone like Walsh in a 3 to help break the lines or Smith with his energy could have helped change things but they're not fit yet are they?

13 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I know, and as I say Ill never call them out on marginal , high paced incidents . But when it is so evident, visible and consistent, I cannot recall FA rules these days, but it should come under impeding an opponent with contact. To have not picked it up, you have to assume it is now allowed. 

No, nor me (well, maybe occasionally!!!)...they are split second things, that you can’t akways judge.  But all the other stuff is piss-poor.

Not posted for ages, but I thought there was more than a touch of old school Argentinian sh1tehousery from Leeds yesterday. Surprised none of them were carrying pins.

I thought we were naive, especially when we tried to mix it up with them physically - although we did better when we went route one in the second half.

The thing is - and I guess this is all that matters from Bielsa's perspective - that is the way to beat us. I'm not getting at LJ as all teams have weaknesses but I can think of several occasions in recent seasons where a team goes one-up, gives us no space on the ball, sits in deep and uses cynical tactics to disrupt the flow of the game and it usually works. I'd argue it is the exact reason our record against Preston is so poor. Bielsa has had Leeds playing lovely stuff at times this season but his job is to win games. Our biggest weakness comes from shithouse tactics so I'm not surprised people use them against us. 

Archived