IGNORED

Bristol City v Ipswich Town Match Day 36

Septic Peg

26 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

This doesn't make sense. If you're willing to be hypothetical to say we up our game and make it to the playoffs, why would that improved form not lift us and continue once we're there? You can't then say, we'd still lose based on our form at the moment as that would be based on our old (current) form.

OK let me put it another way, we've been awful against the top 6 teams. Even if by some miracle we make it into the play offs where is the form beating two of them going to come from? 

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

No we don’t, we have loyal and committed fans who are just soooo frustrated by the constant cycle of long unbeaten runs followed by long winless runs under this manager.....it happens every season....fans have every right to be annoyed about it, if that’s ok with you....

It’s actually comical that our fans think we’re the only team in the league that has good and bad spells of form. We’re 6th, so however bad our ‘bad form’ is, it’s better than 3/4s of the division. 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It’s actually comical that our fans think we’re the only team in the league that has good and bad spells of form. We’re 6th, so however bad our ‘bad form’ is, it’s better than 3/4s of the division. 

Could you name another 90 min performance from any top half team this season that was anywhere near as bad? 

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I don’t know anyone who thinks we are the only team that goes on bad runs.....but we only care about our team....and these runs happen every season under LJ...

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don’t know anyone who thinks we are the only team that goes on bad runs.....but we only care about our team....and these runs happen every season under LJ...

And as I said, we are currently performing better than 3/4s of the league. 

Woukd you call that under or over achievement? 

3 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Could you name another 90 min performance from any top half team this season that was anywhere near as bad? 

Every team in the league has had awful games. Every single one. 

We’re 6th mate. 

I don't care if we are 6th or 16th "mate"  that home performance in line with some previous home games was not acceptable.   We will NOT get in the playoffs because we are not consisently good enough.  Our present poistion is a smokescreen

And you’d think most rational, sensible football fans would acknowledge that and not boo us off for narrowly losing to Leeds for example, who are simply out, a whole other level better than us in every department.

You'd expect most to acknowledge that a mid table side, budget wise, occupying 6th is actually someone doing a pretty damn good job. 

yes, yes, yes budgets, yes, yes, yes bigger teams, yes, yes, yes young players, blah blah blah competitive league, but look at the perfomances of late, why have been they been so insipid, why are we playing one up front at home? I would expect a "mid-table" team to at least get something against the bottom team in the league, I would expect the mid-table team to at least have a go against the bigger teams. 

And as I said, we are currently performing better than 3/4s of the league. 

Woukd you call that under or over achievement? 

Every team in the league has had awful games. Every single one. 

I watch a lot of footy. Can't think of one anywhere near as bad. Not even close. 

2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I don't care if we are 6th or 16th "mate"  that home performance in line with some previous home games was not acceptable.   We will NOT get in the playoffs because we are not consisently good enough.  Our present poistion is a smokescreen

Never understood that position. The table doesn’t lie. We’re the sixth best team in the league at this point in the season. 

Regardless of your feelings towards tonight’s performance, we’re over achieving. 

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I watch a lot of footy. Can't think of one anywhere near as bad. Not even close. 

What nonsense. Hyperbole on here is absolutely unreal. 

3 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

But that's the point. will you be saying like last season we're 8th mate. Then we're 10th mate.?

Well unlike some I don’t have a crystal ball so I personally feel that I can’t comment on what hasn’t happened yet. I’ll judge this season at the end of it, not in November/January/March. 

Personally, comparing our squad to others, I’d consider 10th and upwards a good finish. That’s looking at it objectively and taking the emotion of it out of the equation.

Anything below that and I’d feel we should have done better, all else being equal. 

That was beyond cringeworthy. I seriously had to check the teamsheet to check if Brownhill was playing at half time. 

We wonder why we are streaky. If we constantly buy players who are inconsistent at their previous Clubs, is it any wonder they are inconsistent with us?

Anyhow, keep positive.  Top six and having spent £100 on tickets this morning for the Reading game, I’m fully expecting that to be the game to seal our play-off place.

Absolutely no chance the game will be a dead rubber with us in the lower half of the table. Nope. No chance whatsoever.

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

....so six games without a win is ‘currently performing better than 3/4s of the league’?!

The table doesn’t lie. The only ‘form’ that matters is 46 games, and 36 is a lot better indication as to the outcome than the 6 you suggest.

Funny how by the same logic people weren’t predicting we’d finish 1st when we were 10 unbeaten. Not really consistent is it? 

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The table doesn’t lie. The only ‘form’ that matters is 46 games, and 36 is a lot better indication as to the outcome than the 6 you suggest. 

Today we're 6th, tomorrow we could be 8th. Which table would be lying? ?

2 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

But that's the point. will you be saying like last season we're 8th mate. Then we're 10th mate.?

Witch is my point. Let it go were not good enough no expectations from me. weve only won by more than 1 goal what once all season?

As much as we all hopped after the winning run did we really believe? How many home games have we lost?

Nobody looses as many home games as us and still gets promoted.

Funny how by the same logic people weren’t predicting we’d finish 1st when we were 10 unbeaten. Not really consistent is it? 

What nonsense - of course form (which is what people are talking about) matters. Would you rather a play a team who have just won 10 in a row, or just lost 10? If our seasons was 20 wins, then 20 losses - what do you think the next result would be more likely to be, evens for a win and a loss? Form is an absolutely massive part of all sport.

6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Well unlike some I don’t have a crystal ball so I personally feel that I can’t comment on what hasn’t happened yet. I’ll judge this season at the end of it, not in November/January/March. 

Personally, comparing our squad to others, I’d consider 10th and upwards a good finish. That’s looking at it objectively and taking the emotion of it out of the equation.

Anything below that and I’d feel we should have done better, all else being equal. 

Ok, but you're just talking about our squad there. As you have said, football is not that simple - surely our manager should factor into the equation.

We've given ours a LOT of time and stability most others aren't afforded, so you would expect him to have our team performing above their position otherwise based on their players, surely? If not, what is the benefit of sticking by our manager for this long rather than the much maligned hire/fire that others follow?

it is interesting though.......how rather than win one ,draw one, .lose one as a lot of teams do, we regualrly win a run of games and then lose a run of games on a consistent basis.  There are not many teams that have that pattern?   I don't exactly know what that reveals about our team......but it almost takes inconsistentcy to an art form!!

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

You said we are ‘currently performing better than 3/4s of the league’ - now you say ‘the only form that matters is 46 games’ - make up your mind....current form or a total season’s form? Because our current form is no wins in 6.....and that ain’t better than ‘3/4s of the league’ - no matter, you keep your rose tinted specs on and think everything is fine....

18 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

We’re 6th mate. 

we are only temporarily 6th by the time we play next on 30th we could be down to 10/11th and the games in hand will not make any difference as were a team in poor form and showing absolutely no signs of winning game or this changing at all...

we have to face the facts were not good enough it certain key areas (midfield-forwards) and until the club starts to think bigger this is going to happen season after season...

2 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

What nonsense - of course form (which is what people are talking about) matters. Would you rather a play a team who have just won 10 in a row, or just lost 10? If our seasons was 20 wins, then 20 losses - what do you think the next result would be more likely to be, evens for a win and a loss? Form is an absolutely massive part of all sport.

Ok, but you're just talking about our squad there. As you have said, football is not that simple - surely our manager should factor into the equation.

We've given ours a LOT of time and stability most others aren't afforded, so you would expect him to have our team performing above their position otherwise based on their players, surely? If not, what is the benefit of sticking by our manager for this long rather than the much maligned hire/fire that others follow?

You’ve completely missed the point. The only form that actually matters is the form over 46 games. The rest is a distraction.

You’ve seen yourself how you can be the hottest form of your life and then it just ends, and it won’t matter one bit how good you were for a spell come the final reckoning. 

Your form could be up and down all season and you sneak into the last playoff spot on GD in the last day of the season, at the expense of a team who have won their last 10 but fall short.

That ten game form means absolutely nothing after the last ball is kicked. 

You’ve completely missed the point. The only form that actually matters is the form over 46 games. The rest is a distraction.

You’ve seen yourself how you can be the hottest form of your life and then it just ends, and it won’t matter one bit how good you were for a spell come the final reckoning. 

Your form could be up and down all season and you sneak into the last playoff spot on GD in the last day of the season, at the expense of a team who have won their last 10 but fall short.

Ask any football manager if momentum is important. 

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You said we are ‘currently performing better than 3/4s of the league’ - now you say ‘the only form that matters is 46 games’ - make up your mind....current form or a total season’s form? Because our current form is no wins in 6.....and that ain’t better than ‘3/4s of the league’ - no matter, you keep your rose tinted specs on and think everything is fine....

Stop being wilfully obtuse, I refuse to believe you can’t understand the point I’m making (perhaps I give you too much credit) 

Let me out it simply:

36 data points makes for a better prediction than 6 data points. It really is that simple. And after 46 games the form over either number of games is irrelevant. 

Stop being wilfully obtuse, I refuse to believe you can’t understand the point I’m making (perhaps I give you too much credit) 

Let me out it simply:

36 data points makes for a better prediction than 6 data points. It really is that simple. And after 46 games the form over either number of games is irrelevant. 

Yes but we have lots of other data that can help us predict where we will be after 46 games.

You are wilfully ignoring some very important data.

Let me out it simply:

You said we are ‘currently performing better than 3/4s of the league’ - you are wrong....and after a performance like that one tonight against a team 12 points adrift, you seem determined to wind people up on here....there’s a lot of anger about because of that tripe tonight, and rightly so....just leave it....

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Right - but what's your point. Keep quiet until the end of the year? If we were 21st would you be saying the same thing?

People are pissed off they just sat 2 hours in the cold freezing their bollocks off to watch a poor performance. They're looking at our current position, and our recent form, and putting the two together to predict our final position - one they're not happy with. I don't understand how your point are really relevant at all. Everyone knows the final league position is that only thing that matters...but we're not there yet... so...?

This is a football forum and people are annoyed at our recent form so on here to vent.

Archived