IGNORED

Fascinating insight into the demise of British Leyland

Major Isewater

14 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Great interesting vid Major...  

Can't help thinking that some bloke known as Red Robbo (or something like that) played a part in the demise of BL and Britain's car industry too. He didn't get a mention in the video (although I did spot a 'Gas' van around 24.40 ish , could be a clue there)

Anyway don't suppose you've heard anything about Red Robbo (whatever) around here have you Major? … I wonder where he ended up?  probably just as argumentative and controversial nowadays wherever he is.   :) 

the montegos had the M turned upside down and the E binned to read 'wont go'  on some.   awful cars, just like the maestro. they really did build some tripe. the triumph acclaim was ok,apart from rotting out but that was a honda in disguise. the marina 1.3 was probably the only reliable heap they made but that was based on the moggy 1000 in a lot of ways

In fairness to BL they weren’t the only ones turning out substandard vehicles , the list is long .

Rust was a big issue for most manufacturers, Lancias were famed for their engines just dropping out of the rusty engine bay.

Cracked engine blocks were common.

The Japanese showed the world how to build a reliable car , if not rust free , how we laughed at the ugly little Datsuns , Toyota’s , Honda’s etc 

How their owners laughed at us with our cans of WD40 and flat batteries on damp wintry mornings.

The cars of today are light years away from what we bought in the 60’s , 70’s and 80’s.

12 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

the montegos had the M turned upside down and the E binned to read 'wont go'  on some.   awful cars, just like the maestro. they really did build some tripe. the triumph acclaim was ok,apart from rotting out but that was a honda in disguise. the marina 1.3 was probably the only reliable heap they made but that was based on the moggy 1000 in a lot of ways

The Dolmanite wasn't a bad car in fairness. 

Also worth remembering Rover had spent all the time redesigning the current 'new' mini only for BMW to walk away from Rover but took all the plans/rights to build it. A very smart bit of asset stripping.

24 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

My dad"s was maroon. Quite a good old bus, although the hydrolastic failed, and needed replacing.

Some years later he bought a Wolsley automatic in the same model but with the bigger engine, 2.3 I think . 

They were well balanced and quite powerful ton up easily on the motorway.

Issigonis design , he of Mini and Moggi Thou fame..

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Some years later he bought a Wolsley automatic in the same model but with the bigger engine, 2.3 I think . 

They were well balanced and quite powerful ton up easily on the motorway.

Issigonis design , he of Mini and Moggi Thou fame..

We had a Morris 1100 in the 70s. I remember struggling up Lynmouth Hill, with 2 adults, 3 kids and a shitload of camping gear....almost didn't make it!

30 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

We had a Morris 1100 in the 70s. I remember struggling up Lynmouth Hill, with 2 adults, 3 kids and a shitload of camping gear....almost didn't make it!

My second car was an 1100 with a dodgy fuel pump. 

We took the back of the back seat off to get to it and the first Mrs Isewater was charged to keep tapping it to ensure we kept going . 

16 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

My second car was an 1100 with a dodgy fuel pump. 

We took the back of the back seat off to get to it and the first Mrs Isewater was charged to keep tapping it to ensure we kept going . 

Good concepts, but unfortunately not soldered together too well.

11 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Most cars of the time were actually not wonderfully put together they were fun though.

Modern cars are fantastic tools that globally function very well , like a fridge or a microwave.

I used to have Triumph Heralds and Vitesses. Lots of rattles and scuttle shake, but loads of character and great fun.

I up-engined a 1200 Herald with a mk3 Spit engine, for quite perky performance.

PS...agree about most modern cars- efficient, but with the character of a week old bowl of porridge. Would like one of the Morgan 3-wheelers though!

2 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I used to have Triumph Heralds and Vitesses. Lots of rattles and scuttle shake, but loads of character and great fun.

I up-engined a 1200 Herald with a mk3 Spit engine, for quite perky performance.

They were good looking cars , easy to work on as well ( not that I’m any good at mechanics) 

Archived