IGNORED

Bielsa - Don't believe the hype

Harry

50 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

Marcelo Bielsa is well-known because of his tactical approach, whereas Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klopp, and Jose Mourinho are well-known because of success, and then down to the style of play that gives them that success.

I believe in the hype of Bielsa, and I was actually surprised to see him join a club in the Championship, since IMO he could've probably landed a job at a relegation threatened club in the Premier League. What surprised me the most is that his team has continued their push up the table, because one of the known issues with "Bielsaball" is that his teams start out brilliantly, and fall to pieces when the players are understandably tired.

If they get promoted, fair play to Leeds, but I'm really interested to see how long he lasts in the Premier League.

Better than relegation threatened PL sides IMO- however his draining style of play may be just a bit too much, plus his shall we say wacky antics would obviously count against him with bigger clubs.

Could easily see him at a midtable club in PL with ambitious to move into Europa League contention e.g.- antics aside.

A few things that count against him:

• Quitting Marseille after the first game of his second season.
  • Quitting Lazio after 2-TWO-days!
  • His press conference over spygate. He wanted to dig out Lampard maybe, but it seemed from a pragmatic POV unnecessary- big i.e. the top clubs here or abroad wouldn't much care for it at all.
  • Who is to say he couldn't slot in at somewhere like Watford, Leicester, West Ham or Everton- some of his past antics/warning signs notwithstanding?

This quote too- now I like the style but would players at the biggest clubs warm to this for example:

As a motivational tactic, Bielsa once made players pick up trash around the training ground for three hours, as he had been told that was how long an average Leeds fan worked to afford a ticket

Or this!

On 24 May 2017, Bielsa was unveiled as the new manager of Ligue 1 club Lille OSC on a 2 year contract.[37] Upon joining, Bielsa wanted to bring a more youthful side to Lille's squad[38] and before the season started he informed 11 experienced players including Vincent Enyeama, Marko Baša, Rio Mavuba and Eder that they could leave the club.[39] Then Lille OSC player Éric Bauthéac revealed that Bielsa informed the players he wanted to leave in a conversation before pre-season had even began.[40]

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/lille/story/3201163/marcelo-bielsa-decided-lille-players-future-in-45-seconds-eric-bautheac

I speak as a Bielsa fan but looking to critique him too. This really would count against him for top jobs- his tactics are good, clearly he's turned Leeds around in double-quick time. Athletic Bilbao, and Marseille I think he did fairly well at...but he doesn't seem the most stable character.

14 hours ago, Up The City! said:

You lost all credibility when you said Mendy and Laporte are some of the best defenders in the world. Whilst they are good players they are far from being the best.

Laporte is probably the second best centre back in the "best league in the world" in fairness.

1 hour ago, EnderMB said:

Marcelo Bielsa is well-known because of his tactical approach, whereas Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klopp, and Jose Mourinho are well-known because of success, and then down to the style of play that gives them that success.

I believe in the hype of Bielsa, and I was actually surprised to see him join a club in the Championship, since IMO he could've probably landed a job at a relegation threatened club in the Premier League. What surprised me the most is that his team has continued their push up the table, because one of the known issues with "Bielsaball" 'Johnsonball' is that his teams start out brilliantly, and fall to pieces when the players are understandably tired.

If they get promoted, fair play to Leeds, but I'm really interested to see how long he lasts in the Premier League.

edited for you mate

17 hours ago, Harry said:

We've had Marcelo Bielsa pretty rammed down our throats all season since he joined Leeds.  Obviously he came in as a 'big' name.  The media have been all over him.  Leeds fans thought they were going to witness the 2nd coming.

I've been wondering about him though.  He's clearly been categorised as some sort of 'character' in the managerial game, but is that deceiving us all to his actual ability as a manager.  I've looked at his history :

He started off quite well.  Winning the Argentinian league on penalties (they play 2 seasons of 19 games and the winners of each season play each other in a final - they finished 1st in the opening season and 8th in the closing season).

They then won the 'closing season' again 2 years later.

He roamed around Mexico for 4 seasons, without any success.

He then returned to Argentina and won another 'closing' season.

He got the Argentinian national job.  Qualified for the 2002 World Cup where they went out at the Group Stage - that's a huge failure.

He was unemployed for 3 years after that.

Came back to take Chile to the 2010 World Cup, where they went out in the 2nd round.

Went to Bilbao.  Finished 10th & 12th in the league in 2 seasons, but did get them to the final of the Europa League.  For context, Braga & Fulham had made the finals the 2 years prior.  He was sacked after 2 years.

Next was Marseille.  They were top at Christmas and ended up 4th.  He left after 1 season.

Turned up in Lazio.  Where he lasted 2 days!

Next was Lille.  He was sacked after 6 months.

And now he's wound up at Leeds, where he's lauded as some sort of managerial god.

Looking at his record, he hasn't achieved anything outside of a couple of Argie titles.  In fact, you could argue that he's failed almost everywhere.  He took Bilbao from a team that finished 6th in the league to 10th & 12th.  He failed to get a talented Argentina squad out of the group stage at a World Cup.  He's done nothing at Atlas, America, Marseille & Lille, and he's courted controversy most places he's been.

So, I'm asking - can anyone please explain to me what it is about Bielsa that he is so revered.  What is the hype?

He's a legend in his own mind :cool2:

Don’t really know enough of Bielsa to pass judgement but I know for sure that Sky absolutely love them, also was listening to that turd Durham on Talksport the other day and he is adamant that this Leeds side is the BEST ever, and they are certainly better than Wolves of last season, am I missing something??? The times I have seen them this season I’ve not seen anything that special, at AG we just managed to be shitter than them on the day, but their play acting and sportsmanship was farcical that day, need a strong ref when playing them, we didn’t and he bottled it.

Archived