IGNORED

Sky Sports Block BCFC YouTube Content

Xiled

Strange one this. The highlights from Saturday's game at Sheffield United were posted to City's YouTube channel and were available to watch this morning.

The content has now been blocked by Sky Sports as a result of a copyright infringement:

https://youtu.be/D1xyqL7vfCU

The same highlights are still available on the club web site:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/highlights-sheffield-united-2-3-bristol-city/

How are we allowed to show match highlights on our own site but not on YouTube? (No login or payment required for either)

Are you sure it was striked by sky sports? The problem with YouTube is that anyone can claim a video as their content without any proof (perhaps an angry SUFC fan) and the original uploader will have to appeal to get the video back. It’s a stupid system but you can’t blame them when so much content gets uploaded to it.

11 minutes ago, Xiled said:

How are we allowed to show match highlights on our own site but not on YouTube?

It's possible that the club have limited rights to show them from bcfc.co.uk and Sky own everything else.

It's also possible that some automated algorithm blocked it, the content matching stuff may pick up on soundtracks matching and auto block it. 

@Nathandao is right about the arse backwards way the infringement claims work, thank the USA and their DMCA for that.

It’s a YouTube algorithm, causes no end of problems for everyone who creates content on that platform,

it wouldn’t even be sky copyright claiming it, it will be a company working on behalf of sky,

theres been story’s of music creators having their own work copyrighted on YouTube,

its a shit platform

9 hours ago, Nathandao said:

Are you sure it was striked by sky sports? The problem with YouTube is that anyone can claim a video as their content without any proof (perhaps an angry SUFC fan) and the original uploader will have to appeal to get the video back. It’s a stupid system but you can’t blame them when so much content gets uploaded to it.

this will only get worse, the EU passed legislation that is getting even tighter on copyright so the youtube system of blocking / removing content if claimed by someone else (without actual proof they even own the copyright) is going to become widespread, worse any links on forums like this will be deemed as using the original contents copyrighted / intel prop and likely have to pay a "link tax" for the right to use that link as you are using it to add value to your forum etc. Google etc will probably just block everything as it simply cannot risk being sued for loss of revenue everytime someone uploads a video, post or web link. If you use VPN you will be fine, but a EU origin is going to severely hamper your online experience in the years to come.

12 hours ago, Nathandao said:

Are you sure it was striked by sky sports?

Good point. The message is "Video unavailable - This video contains content from Sky Sports, who has blocked it on copyright grounds" but as said above, that might be an automated process with Sky Sports identified as the copyright holder.  

I'm surprised the BCFC YouTube channel isn't on a "whitelist" for football highlights.  Unless we have broken our use agreement now or in the past.

I will be a bit disappointed if this keeps happening because I find YouTube a much better watching platform than BCTV.

23 minutes ago, Xiled said:

Good point. The message is "Video unavailable - This video contains content from Sky Sports, who has blocked it on copyright grounds" but as said above, that might be an automated process with Sky Sports identified as the copyright holder.  

I'm surprised the BCFC YouTube channel isn't on a "whitelist" for football highlights.  Unless we have broken our use agreement now or in the past.

I will be a bit disappointed if this keeps happening because I find YouTube a much better watching platform than BCTV.

No whitelist for anything all bots and algorithms,

its an awful system and platform, if there was another alternative people would flock there

3 hours ago, Fiale said:

this will only get worse, the EU passed legislation that is getting even tighter on copyright so the youtube system of blocking / removing content if claimed by someone else (without actual proof they even own the copyright) is going to become widespread, worse any links on forums like this will be deemed as using the original contents copyrighted / intel prop and likely have to pay a "link tax" for the right to use that link as you are using it to add value to your forum etc. Google etc will probably just block everything as it simply cannot risk being sued for loss of revenue everytime someone uploads a video, post or web link. If you use VPN you will be fine, but a EU origin is going to severely hamper your online experience in the years to come.

It has to be ratified by the council i.e. the member states yet I think so perhaps all is not lost.  The US has been lobbying for this hard, it's a real danger.

Archived