Sheff U away 3 points

Boro away 1 point

Wigan home 3 points

Good

Sheff U away 3 points

Boro away 3 points

Wigan home 3 points

Fantastic!

What actually happened with two away wins and a pathetic draw with Wigan can hardly be termed Fantastic.

Extremely disappointing is more correct!

LJ to stand for Parliament when he leaves Bristol City?

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Sheff U away 1 point

Boro away 3 points

Wigan home 3 points

Good

Sheff U away 3 points

Boro away 1 point

Wigan home 3 points

Good

Sheff U away 3 points

Boro away 3 points

Wigan home 3 points

Fantastic!

What actually happened with two away wins and a pathetic draw with Wigan can hardly be termed Fantastic.

Extremely disappointing is more correct!

LJ to stand for Parliament when he leaves Bristol City?

Let's be honest I half expected that to happen, it's what city do isn't it.

3 minutes ago, pillred said:

It's been happening since time began.

The best example I can quote is from 1958.

City won 3-2 at Sheffield Wednesday who were runaway leaders in Division 2.

A week later, we lost 1-0 at home to Scunthorpe with a miserable display.

Maybe the reason why we never have a real go at getting to the top league. Eternal bottlers are Bristol City.

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

It's been happening since time began.

The best example I can quote is from 1958.

City won 3-2 at Sheffield Wednesday who were runaway leaders in Division 2.

A week later, we lost 1-0 at home to Scunthorpe with a miserable display.

Maybe the reason why we never have a real go at getting to the top league. Eternal bottlers are Bristol City.

Maybe just maybe this year we can lose that bottler tag.

Fantastic as 3 wins would have been, it was far, far better to beat Boro and draw with Wigan rather than the other way round.  Likewise, it is far more important to accumulate points against Villa and Derby, rather than West Brom (who we ain't going to catch and are almost nailed on play off material).

There was some numpty on here a week and a half ago who decided to calculate all the points we would accumulate in each game, and because his/her expectations were so low he then gave a "review" of our season based on us fading into mid-table obscurity based on these predictions.   Off the top of my head the first 3 predictions were Sheff U - 0 points, Boro - 0 points, and Wigan 3 points!  I must try and find that post and bump it if someone has not already done so.  Perhaps those who expect to win every game, and that a desperate team like Wigan aren't going to throw the kitchen sink at us in 5 minutes of injury team should go and support a team like Derby or Forest, who always beat teams in relegation trouble!

21 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

It's always the time of year when odd results happen. Those in relegation trouble start to fight a lot harder making them dangerous. I'm looking at the Reading game as potentially troublesome given their position.

Absolutely right.

Further evidence of this was seen when Rotherham beat Nottingham Forest and maybe of greater shock value, Millwall 2-0 v West Brom.

Birmingham beating Leeds was a shock but not as big as the others in some respects.

2 hours ago, pillred said:

quite right   said to my mate before the game this will be another 'after the lord major show' and will be a right struggle !  Equally, I expect us to do a "city' and beat Albion !

2 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

Fantastic as 3 wins would have been, it was far, far better to beat Boro and draw with Wigan rather than the other way round.  Likewise, it is far more important to accumulate points against Villa and Derby, rather than West Brom (who we ain't going to catch and are almost nailed on play off material).

There's no room for reasoned logic on here.

16 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

We did. And just a couple of years ago we won at Brighton who were chasing automatic promotion while we were near the bottom.

As well as a 4-1 over Huddersfield who went up, and 4-0 over Sheffield Wednesday who were playoff bound.

4 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

There was some numpty on here a week and a half ago who decided to calculate all the points we would accumulate in each game, and because his/her expectations were so low he then gave a "review" of our season based on us fading into mid-table obscurity based on these predictions.   Off the top of my head the first 3 predictions were Sheff U - 0 points, Boro - 0 points, and Wigan 3 points!  I must try and find that post and bump it if someone has not already done so.  Perhaps those who expect to win every game, and that a desperate team like Wigan aren't going to throw the kitchen sink at us in 5 minutes of injury team should go and support a team like Derby or Forest, who always beat teams in relegation trouble!

Do you work in the Downing Street Press Office?

I don't expect to win every game, even at home but with the squad we have, I consider that our home record should be significantly better than it is. 

Or do you enjoy seeing us consistently fail at home?

4 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Do you work in the Downing Street Press Office?

I don't expect to win every game, even at home but with the squad we have, I consider that our home record should be significantly better than it is. 

Or do you enjoy seeing us consistently fail at home?

Looking at the teams around us we are probably the biggest over achievers, so on the one hand we should be more than pleased that we find ourselves where we are at this stage of the season.

However, on the other hand, the frustrating reality is that if our home record was remotely in line with our away record, as you would normally expect of a team at the top end of the table, it would see us now looking at the remaining games and speculating on our chances of securing an automatic promotion spot, rather than worrying whether we might scrape into the play offs.

Then again we are Bristol City, so why should we change the habit of my lifetime and make things easy for ourselves?

Archived