IGNORED

I might be being hyper-sensitive but...

Silvio Dante

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

I don't have a big issue with it, but your point was totally wrong.

The media should report things as they are, not be biased to a club because they won something 40 years ago.

Sorry what part of my point was ‘totally wrong’?  Why can’t you tell me what you think they should say instead of generalist statements? 

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I would say that Leeds get a lot of coverage because a) They are a big historic club and b) Have appointed a manager well renowned in world football.

That aside, yeah fully agree- the fact that Sheffield Wednesday v Nottingham Forest seemed to get more coverage and more positive comments in terms of playoff contention was laughable. Plenty of lazy pundits out there, crap ones at that. Still I'm fairly happy to sneak along under the radar for a bit longer...doesn't exactly do us much harm! They like to go for names, history and hype- and on this second point I include Leeds despite what I wrote above.

It doesn’t bother me going under the radar . It’s embarrassing though for those so called pundits. The other day , the play offs were being spoke about on tv . Every club from Leeds , sheff Utd down to sheff weds and even Swansea talked about but no mention of us at all. Laughable 

4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

It doesn’t bother me going under the radar . It’s embarrassing though for those so called pundits. The other day , the play offs were being spoke about on tv . Every club from Leeds , sheff Utd down to sheff weds and even Swansea talked about but no mention of us at all. Laughable 

Ignorant, lazy pundits- will produce ignorant, lazy output. :)

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Sorry what part of my point was ‘totally wrong’?  Why can’t you tell me what you think they should say instead of generalist statements? 

Because it's not really just semantics, you said it's fair enough because other teams are bigger. Why is misrepresentation fine, as long as the misrepresentation presents the "bigger" team in a way that is more positive than reality?

Literally just having the two descriptions the other way around would have been a more accurate, thus better representation of reality.

As I said though I didn't really have an issue. I read the two, thought "well, that's not right" and moved on.

Your defense of "well they're a bigger club" is just wrong though.

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

To football fans, people and pundits outside of Bristol we are insignificant, unremarkable, and easily overlooked (on the pitch, and off). With very limited "history" (one play off final, anything else?). We are barely part of the story of English football; mostly just making up the numbers. 

Insignificant, unremarkable, easily overlooked.

This is what has riled SL before; this is what he is trying to change. It won't be changed with one play-off charge or finish. 

Bristol City: insignificant, unremarkable (this could be describing the new badge, too), easily overlooked. This is what we are! Don't forget (keep reminding yourself).

We delude ourselves that we are anything more than this, to football outside of Bristol. 

How Sky Sports cover us now is telling us something about who we are now, and who we have been: it's not Sky's fault that we have been mediocre for 100 years and there is precious little "narrative" for them to draw on and prattle on about and hype up (compared with Sheffield Wednesday, Aston Villa etc).

Insignificant, unremarkable. Easily overlooked. 

Our history does little to dispel that, but that is what we all so desparately want to change along with SL. Important play-off decider against big club rivals at home and a thin crowd. I think we have an increasing hard core of passionate fans, but we still fail to inspire the wider area to come and support us.  Nights like last night can only help with the amazing atmosphere. Any kids going to that would have been asking to go again. COYR.

Don Goodmans great, its almost like he's played over 100 times for WBA. "I don't want to take anything away from Bristol City", pre-emted Don, (well Don, that's exactly what you want to do) but every Bristol city goal was totally avoidable. 

WBA first goal.. "A brilliant dilivery, a brilliant header" purred Don..

? 

IF and that is still a big IF we manage to make the play offs it’ll still be about all the ‘big’ clubs that didn’t quite make it. FLDC, Middlesboro, Sheff Weds etc, let them keep us under their radar, suits us just fine.

We have a pretty meagre history, and if you are one of those pundits who believes football started in 1992 with the Premier League, then we have no history at all, except nearly making it over 10 years ago.

The reality is that many pundits and journalists are lazy. That's why Colin Murray stands out as someone who does some research & knows what he's talking about. Have Norwich really had the plaudits they deserve this season? No, not compared to some other clubs doing the same thing. Remember at the beginning of the season, Stoke were odds on to be champions!

If we make it to the Premier League there will be a bit more recognition but if you want us to be talked of in the same breath as some other clubs then we need to actually achieve something.

The problem now is that over the last 25 years, increasingly the be all and end all in English football is the premier league.

A club seems only to be relevant if they are, or have been, in the prem. Sky's astronomical financial investment in the prem means that it is inevitable that they want it to be promoted throughout the media as the pinnacle of football. The problem is that over time this has been at the expense of coverage of almost anything else. A reflection of this is that when reading any of the Monday papers you have to hunt very hard to find the coverage of football league games,and when you do, guess what, they are invariable games involving the perceived "big" clubs, i.s. ex premier league clubs.

When you get to television and radio coverage you bring in the question of pundits. The majority of them spent the bulk, if not all, of their careers in the top flight so that is what they know, and they automatically gravitate towards the players the know, or at least recognise from the prem.. As other have alluded to, I also suspect that many pundits are very limited in their research and wider football knowledge, so they will be like ducks out of water when required to comment on a bunch of ( to them) pretty unknown players at an "insignificant" club in footballs west country backwater  and one that has never ( absolute sacrilege!) played in the premier league.

For goodness sake we don't even have a long established famous name, or celebrity manager, so that they can prefix Bristol City with Lee Johnson's!

10 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Happy under the radar.

We’re better hunting than being hunted.

We’re at our best as fans and a team when we’re the underdog.

We need to stay as the underdog for as long as possible.

Better not get JP doing ANY commentary then, as he always seems to get a mention of either the team or the ground in his commentary regardless.

Archived